Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claybabe_gw

Probably finished, first of 2.5 kitchens

claybabe
15 years ago

Since I'm about to put the house on the market, I guess it's done!

It used to be a teal color, done with scrubbable Duration Matte by SW, but it had a funny sheen to it that made the color wrong for about half the day.

Anyway, here it is!

Old kitchen, after the peninsula cabs came down (DH thought this was good and that we might be done!) And yes, it was really that messy most of the time.

New kitchen:

And this WILL NOT rotate despite my best efforts, but this is the fridge with pullout pantry.

Comments (33)

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Wow! What a transformation. That backsplash is beautiful and your granite is lovely. Great job!

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Wow! I'd buy your house! What a difference.

Details please?

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Elvis has left the kitchen!
    Wow, that is an amazing transformation. I had to go back & forth several times before realizing that the 1st after pic is the same angle as the before pic. Beautiful with some feminine touches such as the light above the sink window and the faucets (remind me of swans). Your island granite is beautiful! Enjoy!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

FABulous! I like the different types of cabinet doors, and LOVE the corner sink...Cool.

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

Can't beleive it's the same space. Great job. I'd hate to sell my house after completing that stunning kitchen!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Wow, what a change! Love the granite (what is it?) and the Florianos.

• claybabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the nice comments! It took me two days to post this (I started yesterday am and things just kept happening, but finally resized the original and rotated the fridge!) but I forgot the specs: And Elvis may have left the building, but he'll never leave our hearts....

Granite is Verde Fuoco on the island, black galaxy perimeter
    Cabs natural cherry, custom by local cab maker
    Range used to be an Aga 6-4 (now residing at the new house) and is now a kenmore 40"/frigidaire
    Old fridge, amana sxs
    Miele dw
    advantium, 220
    Brazillian cherry floors, site finished
    Lee valley corner unit
    Shaws sink, 36"
    Florianos (not wild about the soap dispensers, but they are cute and go with the faucets; they clog with the dish soap)
    Ventahood
    Dacor oven replaced by whirlpool (I kind of wish I'd just left the ovens in place, but thought I was saving money somehow....)
    Xenon undercab lights by kichler
    Costco fridge used to live in the pantry (our beverages tend to run toward sodas, beer, wine, whatever, and a wine fridge lost out to the general beverage fridge)

I think that's it, but I'm happy to answer questions. And would love to sell my house to you, Blue! It was actually sold prior to listing, but there were some issues and it fell through. And the kitchen was a major draw. They also loved the seclusion and quiet, wildlife, etc., but they didn't buy it so I'd be glad to hold it for ya!

• claybabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As if you'd leave your beautiful blue stone...!

• muscat
    15 years ago

Amazing change to the whole room. Gorgeous granite!!

• msrose
    15 years ago

OMG, it's gorgeous! Did you know you would be moving when you started the renovation? I can't imagine putting all that time and money into it and then having to leave it.

Laurie

• morton5
    15 years ago

It's beautiful-- I think you will start a garden window revival.

• inkycrab
    15 years ago

Wow, I wouldn't want to move. I am really loving the black crown molding..very nice touch.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Clay, it wasn't me...you are right, I am NOT leaving my beautiful blue granite...they can use it for my tombstone :) However, I do like your kitchen quite a lot!

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

WOW!!!! LOVE all the black! Well done!

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Wait a minute...didn't you have the AGA with the wood counters on each side?
    Or is that you new kitchen? This one is very lovely!

A couple of questions please, are your cabinets natural cherry meaning no stain? and what size is the prep sink and what size cabinet does it take?

Thanks so much!

• lily1342
    15 years ago

WOW, impressive transformation!!

• maydl
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! The black crown molding was so brave ... and so right!

• claybabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, Blue, I got all excited: Loves2cook also has a fabulous kitchen I'm sure she wouldn't leave, but I appreciate her sentiment, despite my confusion.

vicnsb, it's a 15" shaws sink, in a 15" cab that's 24" deep (there is a secret door for my plumber to access the plumbing and I used the handle for a towel).

Maydl, thanks! The black trim was a happy accident: it happened to be the only chunk of coved trim in the shop that day was black. I loved how it looked and the kd and I ended up calling each other just after I left the shop to tell each other the crown should be black! Not brave, just what I/we liked.

Vicnsb, the Aga flanked by butcher block is also mine. We didn't plan to EVER move, but the perfect house came on the market for a good price. It needed a new kitchen (darn), which we did before we moved. It also has a small basement kitchen that we did a few things to to make it more functional (added cabs from upstairs, cab from the orange kitchen above, and enlarged the vinyl floor. It is the half kitchen. As soon as the baking center is done and the backsplash is or isn't done, and I've finished a couple of projects on the basement kitchen, I'll post the new house stuff. I'm such a dork: Can't seem to get it all done. Not enough hours in the day/week/month, especially with the garden needing work at both places. Oh well, I'm hoping we'll be down to one house soon, which will be a relief.

Thanks again for all the nice comments, I appreciate you all taking the time to look and comment (and even those of you who are biting your tongues so as not to say anything bad!). Of course, I've been hanging out on the kitchen forum forever, and could not imagine doing a remodel without all this help. What a tremendous resource, with technical, design, and emotional assistance whenever it's needed.

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful kitchen! No doubt that it will sell your house soon. Good luck!
    Barb

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

I can't imagine leaving such a nice kitchen so soon after completing it to boot! You did such a nice job on this one, I can't wait to see what the one you just did in your new home looks like.

• Yvonne B
    15 years ago

It's stunning! You did a beautiful job of both the layout and your color choices. I love the black backsplash, and the silver accents, and the black crown molding. I'm looking forward to seeing your new kitchen!

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Well, I think you already my opinion on your kitchen design skills! I remember oohing and ahing over pix of your kitchen a while back. Is this that same kitchen, now minus the Aga or were the earlier ones partials of the new kitchen? For purposes of this post, Claybabe, it doesn't matter! This is one helluva kitchen. I have no doubt it will sell your house. Now, after drooling over these brilliant, good-looking details, I'm sooo looking forward to seeing Kitchens #2 and 2.5! :)

• alku05
    15 years ago

Love it! Yours is the first floriano that I've seen in chrome and it's gorgeous!!

BTW, our floriano soap dispenser has never clogged once, and it's been in more than a year now. We use Dawn and have a NeverMT attached. I wonder if it's your brand of soap?

• claybabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alku, I took the one that clogs apart (The one with the dawn, and of course the never MT!) and it has a problem with the plastic "straw" being kinked. I think I might give them a call and get a new straw. Glad to hear yours never clogged, I thought it must be the dawn!

Marthavila, thank you so much! Those were partials of the new kitchen.

Cat mom and yandj, thank you both. Believe me, we struggled with the idea of moving, and DH wanted to take the granite with us. We decided that we got so much pleasure from our new kitchen, that we would do the next house before we moved. I'm so glad we were able to do that. We had no backsplash while we lived there, just the teal color on the walls. It seems sort of bland now, but I like it (and I'm pretty sure that no one would have considered buying it in teal...!).

Thanks again, all, for the nice comments!

• gshop
    15 years ago

WOW, what a beautiful kitchen! You really hit the mark with this one, I can't wait to see the next ones. Your taste in coordinating everything is great. Congratulations on a job very well done! Thank you for sharing it with us.

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Wow! A BIG Improvement! --

One and a half to go?

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

Claybabe, that's a stunning kitchen! Like sweeby, I'm confused about ''one and a half to go?''

Beautiful job! I especially like the corner sink, since I have a larger version of something very similar. Congratulations on a job very well done.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

It's beautiful and my favorites are the faucets. They look like sculptures!!

• claybabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, I just love having more visitors each time I check in!

Brutuses, the floriano faucets were great. I wanted to use them again in the 2nd kitchen, but decided to stick with my copper thing (abandoned this with the faucet choice in the first--this--kitchen), so the new kitchen has Moen Aberdeens (thank you Claire de Luna for your experience with your own when I was purchasing!) which I also love.

Sweeby, nice to hear from you! The second and .5 are almost done, but need a few key details. The baking center in the main kitchen needs a counter top before the little sink can be installed. I really want this to be marble, and not an ugly piece. I'm shopping remnants and haven't found one yet that I like. The basement kitchen is very close....

Claire, the shaws is not even close to your gorgeous custom copper corner sink, but thanks! I did like the corner because of easy accessibility for prepping and chatting and also using at the stove. The real reason for it was that the corner of the granite was broken off, and that was the piece I wanted, so we had to get a little creative. Thanks to the KD we were able to accommodate the change easily, but it involved firing my first granite fabricator.

Here's a shot of the unfinished kitchen in Teal.

• Yvonne B
    15 years ago

Aaah, I kind of like it... but I think I like the new paint color better :-).

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

Oh my! That's all I could say. I am in love with your faucets! they are breathtaking! I'm a faucet freak.
    Good choice on removing the teal. If the rest of the house is anything like the kitchen, I'm sure you'll sell quickly. Good luck!

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Honestly,I'm delighted to hear that the photos I saw before were of the new kitchen. That's because as gorgeous as this kitchen is -- and it is definitely gorgeous-- I remember responding to your new kitchen photos with even more excitement. Indeed, ever since I caught glimpses of your new kitchen, I've been waiting and waiting to see your final product. Guess I'll just have to consider these jpegs as mere teasers in anticipation of the even bigger kitchen showstopper that is on the way! :)

BTW, these glass doors are so beautiful, What kind of glass is that? Did you continue with pattern glass in the new kitchen? I've been trying to decide on whether or not to go with clear or specialty glass. Just looking at these, I feel persuaded to go in this direction.

• claybabe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yandj, I agree: Even I like the new color better!

Thanks, mlraff, I think the kitchen is probably the star, but we redid the bathrooms also, so it will sell (at the price someone wants to pay for it!).

marthavila, I'm delighted that you are excited about the new kitchen: DS misses the old kitchen and reminds me frequently, which makes me wonder sometimes...!The glass is seeded/reeded, "seedy/reedy". You'll see more of it, I promise. But don't hold your breath, there isn't a showstopper!

Thanks again, all.