Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2gemini_gw

Loving it

a2gemini
11 years ago

Even though I am an ABB (All but backslash) and missing a few small things such as the trim that will go in after the BS, I made some yummy lemon crinkle cookies today!

I just had to share!!! (and would share the cookies if I could)

My bake zone was terrific - everything was right there!

My husband loved the cookies!

Stay tuned - more pictures when everything is done!

Comments (26)

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Can't wait!!!! We are still ABFG:( all but fixed grout! Still love the ease of my kitchen however:) would love a cookie please!

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

That's WONDERFUL!! SO exciting! I love lemon (and yellow!) and can't wait to have a baking zone! It seems so far away but work is actually beginning this week! (I'll believe it when I see it though!)
    Enjoy!

• bahacca
    11 years ago

I'll take a cookie! I cannot wait to be able to roll cookie dough on my counters! Every Christmas for 10 years I've cursed my tile!

• annkathryn
    11 years ago

Recipe? Pictures? And do the cookies match your kitchen?

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't snag any pictures.
    Will send the link to the recipe when on my computer!
    I considered butter tiles for my backsplash so I think they matched, but the snicker doodle that I made the other day might be closer to the backsplash choice.
    Wow, I think u are on to something. Bake cookies to help choose a backsplash!
    LOL

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the link to the cookie recipe.

My massage therapist says best lemon cookie she has ever eaten!

http://www.letsdishrecipes.com/2012/03/award-winning-lemon-crinkle-cookies.html

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Gemini- Thanks for the cookie recipe! My mom loves lemon cookies, so this will be a fun surprise for her, next time we have tea :)

When I clicked on the link, I got an advertisement for Hawaii. Maybe it's just me, but here's the link if anyone else needs it. Thanks, again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon cookie link

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Ooh, I love all things lemon, so you *know* I printed this recipe out for when, sometime in the misty future, I have a kitchen again!!

• martian1
    11 years ago

So happy for you and the cookies must be divine!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Gemini, isn't it wonderful to have the wonderful aromas back in the kitchen? Thanks for the recipe, I need a change of pace from all my chocolate chips.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops. Sorry about the link.
    Four - soon!
    Linelke- even DH is loving the kitchen (except he is refusing to compost)
    Lavender- these cookies just want to be baked in ur new kitchen!
    Hope your mom enjoys the cookies!
    Martian - absolutely!
    Now, I am having a craving for an oatmeal chic chip cookie with pecans or walnuts. Anyone with a winner?
    Thanks

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Missed this post earlier. Glad you are loving your baking center. I've have some lemons in the fridge that are just waiting to be used. We are having a new porch, front walk and fireplace hearth installed starting tomorrow. Guess I will have to stay home and bake cookies while I have workers here. Thanks for the recipe. Did you bake them using convection?

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

Ooh, lemon cookies sound so refreshing! And very tempting to make into sorbet/cookie sandwiches. Mmm.

My usual chocolate chip cookie recipe has oatmeal in it. I don't know it it's enough oatmeal to satisfy an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie craving, but these did win a purple ribbon at our state 4-H fair when I was 9! :) Good memories.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cream together:
    1 cup butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 tsp vanilla extract

Stir in:
    3 cups flour
    1 cup rolled or quick oats
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1/2 lb. chocolate chips

Drop on cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes at 350F.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Those cookies look yummy! Glad to hear you're enjoying using your new kitchen. Everyone keeps asking me what I like most about my new kitchen and the best, by far, is the function, function, function! I love how it looks but it is a dream to cook in new. :)

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Badger - I did try the convection and it worked - but probably not needed for a single batch of cookies (I did lower the temp by 25 degrees per the book)

Jessica - can't wait to try your recipe. Looks like just the ticket. I may play with some flour variety - I always tinker with recipes - it is a wonder that anything comes out at all.

Pooh - yup function is great. I wish that my kitchen was large enough for a prep sink in the baking area - but not a major problem - still So Much Better!!

And I love the long counter for serving! I can get everything ready to pop into the DR!

Thanks

PS I saw post about your ovens being resolved!

• shkish
    11 years ago

yummy! wish I could reach into the computer and eat one right now!

• kashmi
    11 years ago

Yum! The lemon crinkles look great. Here's a convoluted recipe for oatmeal cookies with dried cherries and chocolate chips, using whole wheat flour. It's a mash-up of a recipe from Cooks Illustrated and one from Alice Medrich. Browning the butter adds a nice flavor. Makes about 60 cookies.

PRE-MIXING TASKS
    1. DRIED SOUR CHERRIES Pour 1/2 c boiling water over 5.25 oz dried sour cherries. Let set about 15 minutes, drain water off. Let sit in strainer to cool.
    2. SUGAR 200 gr white sugar + 210 gr brown sugar. Process these in food processor or (or blender) to break up any lumps, especially any in the brown sugar. Also helps sugar dissolve. Pour into heatproof bowl.
    3. BUTTER (total of 18 TBS). Melt 13 TBS in a 10" stainless skillet over medium heat. Once melted, continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has a nutty aroma. Remove skillet from heat and stir in remaining 5 TBS butter until completely melted.
    4. Stir butter into bowl w/ sugars and stir to combine. Over the next 10 minutes, stir the butter/sugar mixture every three minutes to "melt" sugars into the butter.
    5. DRY INGREDIENTS
    Whisk together and set aside
    8.5 oz whole wheat pastry flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    3/4 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp ginger (optional)
    2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
    6. NUTS: toast 1.5 cups pecans in 350 degree oven for about 8 - 10 minutes. Don't burn them!
    7. Oven temp for cookies = 330 convection; 340 regular

MIXING TASKS (after the sugars have sat in the butter for 10 minutes)
    Mix the following into the butter/sugar mixture in this order, stirring after each addition.
    EGGS: 1 whole + 1 yolk
    MILK: 4 TBS
    VANILLA: 1 tsp
    OATS: 3 cups (don't use quick cooking; I use Bob's Red Mill Thick Cut Oats, but that's not required)
    Dry Ingredients

FOLD IN
    1.5 cups toasted pecans
    Cherries
    4 oz white chocolate chips (Callebaut or Trader Joe's are our favorites); dark chocolate chips could be substituted.

Scoop out dough in 2TBS size scoops and place on parchment lined cookie sheets about 1" - 2" apart. Press down to flatten them (otherwise they don't spread enough to suit our tastes. YMMV).

Bake until just getting brown around the edges, about 13 minutes. If not using convection, turn the pans half-way through the cooking time.

Pull parchment paper off the cookie sheets onto cooling rack. Leave the cookies on the parchment for 4 or 5 minutes and then move them off the parchment to the cooling rack.

If you like chewy middles to cookies, do not overbake. As soon as the edges are brown, remove them from the oven, as these get very crispy once they are cool.

There it is. Convoluted, right?!

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

''I may play with some flour variety - I always tinker with recipes - it is a wonder that anything comes out at all.''

Me too! I was a recipe nazi for a long time, and now I find it fun and challenging to experiment a bit. I know I've made these with 1/2 whole wheat flour and dark chocolate chips had good results (DH balked a bit...he knew something was different but not what). I think I've used all golden whole wheat flour, too, but I haven't tried any more 'exotic' flours.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kashmi- wow! That sounds great and I just ordered lots of Michigan cherries - most of the crop was killed from the cold snap...

shkish - LOL - stop on by - love to share.

jessicamil - me too - I used to follow the recipe to the T but now, I have to play!!

My creation today - Raspberry, blueberry yogurt muffins - I was having a craving for yogurt muffins (not sure I ever had one before, so explain this...)

Anyway - awesome!!!

I used a recipe from Locovarious - our local CSA winter share - and of course, modified it to use a combo of white whole wheat and regular flour.

Now, how did I fit that into a day where I taught for 6 hours.... Guess that's why you get messages at weird hours...

No baking for a few days - Tomorrow, I have 2 5 hours classes to teach and have to be there an hour before each class and then there is the grading of the tests and ppwk, so in for a LOONNNNGGG day!!

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

Mmm...muffins. The last batch of muffins I made lasted 1 day (or maybe 1.5 days). I used frozen mixed berries for the blueberries and golden whole wheat flour rather than whole wheat pastry flour. They're quite possibly my favorite muffins thus far (well, maybe tied with pumpkin apple).

Here is a link that might be useful: Kemp's ''You-Won't-Believe-They're-Whole-Wheat'' Blueberry Muffins

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jessica. Sounds yummy! I am always nervous to try all whole wheat so usually wimp and go half and half.
    My recipe was similar but used yogurt in place of milk. Maybe this weekend, I will post it.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

a2gemini, I've had some things flop when tinkered to all WW, but others worked out, and this recipe intrigued me because it was designed for whole wheat. You'd never guess it, either; the muffins were fluffy and scrumptious.

I've seen recipes with yogurt instead of milk, but never had it on hand at the right time. If you post it, though, I'll add it to my list of must-trys!

It's really a treat to bake after a renovation, isn't it? :)

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll try to post this weekend

• christine40
    11 years ago

A2-made t
    Your yummy lemon cookies this week! They were sooooo yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipie, I often have some lemons in the house about to bite the dust....these cookies are perfect!

• kashmi
    11 years ago

Jessicaml: I, too, have bookmarked those blueberry muffins. Getting your experience with them sealed the deal.

a2gemini: Looking forward to the muffins w/ yogurt recipe. Hope you get the time to post it. Thanks.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kashi and Jessica - I added your recipes to my recipes to try after getting back from visiting DM - she is going to have at total hip surgery...

Jessica - your purple ribbon story is included in my recipes.

I am also going to add your muffin recipe to try.

Christine - glad you liked the cookies - my DH is loving them also - he even went shopping so that I would have lemons... and he hates to shop.

I posted my yogurt muffins in a different post.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994