Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slush1422

Fabricator found our Moon Night slabs-even better

slush1422
12 years ago

So you guys can all say "I told you so" to me!

Our fabricator called today and after many calls and driving all over the place, he found our slabs! A place only 30 mins away from us had several slabs of Moon Night. Bad news was they are going to cost us $380 more, which I thought might happen. But the good news is that when I went to look at them, you could tell they were much better quality, and the rep said they also had them honed. I was so excited, because I originally wanted them honed but just couldn't find them already done. The best part - well there are two (is that better and best?)...one is the rep told me that our fabricator told him our story and he felt bad so was giving us a deal, and only going to charge us $20 extra for the honed. The second is that our fabricator felt so bad for what happened, that he offered to do a vanity in our guest bathroom for FREE!!!

So here are the polished slabs:

From Moon Night Granite

And the honed (not the best shot with my cell phone): You should have seen me rubbing the honed, I think the rep was waiting for me to lay my face on it haha - it was SO soft - I can't wait to have it in my kitchen.

From Moon Night Granite

I feel so much better too because they had several slabs instead of just two like the last place.

We are a little nervous about getting honed as far as staining, especially because some people say they have no problems, and others have issues but it's my kitchen! Not an operating room so I'll just have to be okay with whatever comes with the beauty that will be my countertops.

Drywall went up today, and flooring is tomorrow and Saturday. FINALLY some progress.

Comments (28)

• marcydc
    12 years ago

Sounds like you have a fabulous fabricator! It is quite lovely! If I had done cool tones instead of warm, that would have been my choice too!

• ginny20
    12 years ago

Those are gorgeous!I love the honed, too.

See, you found your true love after all. What a nice ending to the story. Congratulations!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

Hooray!! Gorgeous! Enjoy.

• celineike
    12 years ago

Oh I'm so glad to hear it!!! They are beautiful slabs. The polished is amazing!

Glad we were all right - I worried a tiny bit when I said don't worry. ;0)

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

Hi slush...

I didn't understand this post, so I did a little detective work (Goggle) and found your post from Tuesday...then it all made sense.

I'm glad it all worked out! Your fabricator sounds like a gem.

Can't wait to see the finished kitchen..

KA:)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

That is fabulous! I'd have a hard time deciding between honed and polished because they look so different, yet each is wonderful. Maybe do the bathroom in polished to be different and keep the honed in the kitchen....

• carolml
    12 years ago

Those slabs are lovely. I am also looking for slabs - by preference grey-blue tones. Do those have a blueish tone in daylight? Are there other names? I have never seen "moon night" here.
    Thanks.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

ah- that's great! that top stone is wonderful. can't wait to see it made into a counter top - hurry!

• slush1422
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all. It was definitely a blessing in disguise that it happened!

carolml - Normally I've seen it called Super White Quartzite and a GW'er just recently told me it was also called White Vermont. Some say "Princess White" or "White Fantasy", but to me those last two are more white with wavy grey movement (more like carerra marble) in them and not big chunks of grey like the Super White, Moon Night, and White Vermont. Also a lot of places call it a quartzite and a few call it a granite. I'm not sure about the blueish color. You should probably get a sample to try in your own kitchen to make sure. In person they all seemed very grey to me.

Here is a finished kitchen with honed Moon Night.
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1021195116148.html

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: calypsochick's kitchen

• Kathy F
    12 years ago

YAY!!!! This is exactly what I imagined and hoped would happen for you!!! Congratulations!

• vitamins
    12 years ago

I am so happy you have found slabs that you love that are even better than the ones your fabricator rejected. From following this, it sounds like you have a very conscientious fabricator and I bet they will do a great job for you. All's well that ends well!

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

THIS is the time to reward, tip, award your fabricator! Well wait until it is all done but it looks to be going well.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Hooray!! I'm so excited for you. I was soooo hoping it would work out for the better. The honed looks lovely. Isn't it funny how a yummy stone can turn a rational woman into a drooling idiot?! ;)

I cannot wait to see that installed!

• marcydc
    12 years ago

THIS is the time to reward, tip, award your fabricator!
    And give him a great big 5 star yelp! And tell him you'd be a reference if he needs some!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

super excited for you! Those are absolutely gorgeous! If fact, it's making me want some more counter so I can put it on!

• yellowdog2
    12 years ago

Yahoo!! That is great news. They are absolutely beautiful. I'm proud of your fabricator. What a great guy. I was only going to the island in Moon Night, now you've got me thinking!!

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I'm so happy for you! Those honed slabs are GORGEOUS! Lucky you! Did you hug your fabricator?

• gardenamy
    12 years ago

Congratulations...can't wait to see them installed!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! Congratulations on finding slabs that you love. And I love the honed too. I probably would have rubbed my face on it!

• cjc123
    12 years ago

So happy this is all working out for you!!!

You will love it I'm sure! One year out and I am still in total love with my "Super White" which does look just like yours! I wish they would nail down a name, but then again when you love it you love it.

Mine looks more grey than blue also. ;)

ps.. I only keep acid type products off it and when it does "etch" it seems to vanish with in a week or two. strange --- but a good thing

Enjoy! can't wait to see the end product!
    Cindy

• mom2tykel
    12 years ago

Wonderful! We are having our leathered white supreme (same look, different name) installed this afternoon between 3 and 5. We put the white supreme on our island and silestone on our perimeter cabs. I can share in your excitement. ~Jenn

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

Hi slush...

Just thought I would mention that caylpsochick says her Moon Night is polished....It doesn't look very shiny in her photos, so I was surprised to read that in her thread and on her blog. Am I confused about the words "polished" and "honed?"

By the way, I think honed would be gorgeous..

KA:)

• slush1422
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow thanks KA for correcting me. I thought they were honed - they look so soft and matte finish. I don't think you were confused, I was just posting wrong. Glad you caught it.

I do like how you can see a lot of the details with polished, but I just loved the feeling of it honed and how soft and marble-like it looked. I think if we did dark wood cabinets then we would get it polished because I've seen how gorgeous it looks with the dark wood.

breezygirl - Thanks for making me laugh! I need to carry a handkerchief next time I see the slabs.

cjc123 - Thanks for letting me know. DH will feel better reading that about the etching.

mom2tykel - post pictures, I bet it will be gorgeous.

• aokat15
    12 years ago

Our tops are called "Donna Sandra" and are technically a marble but they look so close to your slabs!! Here is a cell-phone pic of a spot I love of ours:

I went with polished on mine. They came in polished and I loved them enough as was to not spend the extra $ on honing them... no regrets so far!

• HomeNoobie
    12 years ago

*DROOOOLLLLL* I'm so glad it worked out! Those are stunning, esp the polished one!!

• kaysd
    12 years ago

Those slabs are gorgeous - both polished and honed. I'm so glad it worked out for you. Sounds like you have a great fabricator. Depending on your bathroom cabinets, you might want polished in the bath, both for a change and because of the types of chemicals that sometimes get spilled in a bathroom.

• cjc123
    12 years ago

oakat15.. LOL I have 3 areas on mine that I templated specifically because 'I especially love" those areas and they had to go in particular places so I could most enjoy them. I can't tell you how fun it is to watch people run their fingers over the vein's and patterns. My little nieces and nephews have laid on it making up stories of being on icebergs and dinosaurs walking on it! Our 9ft island is like a giant play mat for all kinds of fun from GI Joes to farms stuck in blizzards... what fun!
    Cindy

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Happy to hear it's working out! Gorgeous!