Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I paint inside of cabinets White as well?

Posted by Stephski11 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 21:05

Hi!
Should I paint the inside of my kitchen cabinets White as well?

any and all opinions/experiences and pictures welcome.

Painting my oak kitchen cabinets white. We are spraying with an HVLP sprayer and I've purchased the Fine Paints of Europe Brushing Putty, Oil Primer and ECO Satin.

My husband and I go back and forth as to whether we should or not. I don't think we personally care that much, although it would look cleaner. What would others expect if we were to sell in a few years?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I paint inside of cabinets White as well?

What are they on the inside? That could make a difference with the answer.

o

I would not paint the insides. Mine are painted and I am constantly getting paint chips in my pots and I have to rinse everything before I use it just to be sure. If it were me, I would get a nice shelf liner for the wood interior instead of painting. Good Luck!

o

We're painting ours right now and have left the inside the wood color. It was the outside that looked so bad - the inside was in fine shape. Also, it seemed like a lot of additional work for little beneift. Just my .02 :)

o

The insides are wood on the sides, and the back is that fake looking wood. I'll try to attach a picture. Almost like laminate flooring where it's a 'picture' of oak grain. We are NOT painting the shelves, and just replacing them with white melamine shelves to avoid the chipping issue. I'll throw a sheet of white contact paper down over the painted bottom to help. I think because we are spraying we figured it may just be easier than trying to mask off the insides.

Although, when we looked at new cabinets in white or off=white in the big box stores, most were surpisingly NOT painted inside and just maple wood. Unless they were white melamine.

Any more opinions are welcome!

Hopefully this LINK TO PICS WILL WORk?

[IMG]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg42/stephski11/Cabinet project/DSC_1433.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg42/stephski11/Cabinet project/DSC_1414.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg42/stephski11/Cabinet project/DSC_1415.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet pics

o

Provided that the interiors are in good shape, I'd stay with the wood interiors.
Our new white custom cabinets have natural maple interiors. Most cabinets have wood interiors unless they have glass doors in which case the interior usually matches the exterior.
Happy painting.

o

I think it would be a nightmare of a job to paint the inside. I had my cabinets professionally painted and he said he didn't think it was necessray. I put in a colorful shelf liner and it brightens things up. I don't even notice that they are not the same as the outside.

o

I have painted the inside of cabinet doors before and all I can say is: DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a nightmare and took longer than I ever thought possible. That was about 15 years ago and you can see what kind of response in me it brings up. I thought that it would be just a matter of reaching in and slapping the paint on. Somehow it took forever. Drips, runs, corners, painting upside down.... multiplied times the number of cabinets....

o

They look great as is. My old kitchen had blue cabinets with white interiors. I repainted the interiors when we moved in. It was a royal PIA! After a few years of use they looked like crap. We had the cabinets for the new kitchen made locally ... maple painted white with natural interiors.

o

I also don't think you need to paint the insides...

o

Painting the insides is unnecessary. It's not "expected".

If you are REALLY tempted, or you want to take the doors off or replace a couple with glass doors, a compromise can be to paint just the flat back surface of the cabinet that is visible. Sometimes people even paint this a contrasting color. It can look nice, but not necessary.

(Insides are often melamine or some other surface and the paint might or might not adhere as well, long term.)

But painting the whole thing, routinely, you don't need to do. Leads to mess and madness, and a cycle of more painting.

o

Only do it if they're really gross. Been there done that. Sometimes you have to. But if you don't....don't.

But since you're spraying, it won't hurt to do a test on the inside of a drawer stack to see how it works. The fake wood might require extra prep though.

o

I had the same question as well with my white custom cabinets, so this was helpful. Another question I have is, should the inside of the drawers also be painted white if the inside of the cabinets are going to be painted white?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Riva

o

I painted the inside of the uppers only. Thought I might get some glass fronts. OTOH, our cabinetry is small. If you have a nice, natural wood, I would leave it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here