Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinchette

99.9% done- need grout color advice- Bill?

chinchette
15 years ago

We are down to the last items after two years. We opted out of a full backsplash and I installed this 4 inch one instead. It is not grouted yet. Its Sonoma Tantrums. We want a dark grout, but haven't found the right one yet. Any ideas on grout color?

Comments (30)

• slc2053
    15 years ago

It looks great! Love your kitchen...any details on your hood? We're in the market, DH wants something "cool" where he can see LED lights on the front, and it looks like yours may fit the bill...could you provide details?

RE: grout, I would stick with something that blends in....

Thanks.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks. Its Zephyr Milano. Works well. Its 36 inches. I could have used 42 inches because the cooktop is 36 inches. Its not too noisy.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

The tiles look great with your granite and with the rest of your kitchen! Ditto on blending in color for grout.

• raenjapan
    15 years ago

I'd do a darkish grey grout. Love your cabinets, they're gorgeous.

• jayjay_teacher
    15 years ago

Your kitchen looks great! We also are thinking of not doing a full backsplash--except behind the stove. I love the sonoma tiles. What did you use on the top of the border?

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the complements :)

If you click on the pictures you can see a few more on photobucket.
    The piece on top of the Sonoma Tantrums is travertine. The pieces are 10 inches long and about 3/4" depth, and its got a rounded edge. It projects out from the tile a bit, which is what I wanted-it creates a good ending point.

I tried a grout the same color as the tile but it made the tile look dull. When I wet it down, it looked a lot better (a little bit darker grout).

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Mapei Sahara Beige. Hands down.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thankyou Bill! Now, where do I get Mapei? Does the Shahara Beige have a greenish cast?

• suzieca
    15 years ago

I like the picture over your cooktop. Do you have it covered with something to protect it from splatters?

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The picture over the cooktop is a $35.00 Home Goods find. Its been up there for about 18 months with hardly any damage. I wipe it off with a damp sponge or Mr. Clean erase. I don't get a lot of spattering- I guess because the hood sucks most of it up. Its easier to wipe the picture than it would be to wipe a backsplash. It looks like an oil painting but its not. It seems to have a coat of something on it- I think...because it wipes off so easily.

If we do something like bacon, I take the picture down, and on the same little nails that are holding up the picture, I hang a piece of newspaper, which takes two seconds. I cover the cooktop with newspaper, and all I do is throw away the newspaper. The cooktop is induction.

One of the reasons for the 4 inch backsplash was so I could change out the art here and there.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Your kitchen looks great. I love the 4" backsplash. Makes it look nice, modern and clean but adds a nice touch of bling!

• janran
    15 years ago

I love your kitchen and the backsplash is perfect. Can you tell me about your pendants, as that is what I'm currently agonizing over this week. What are they? How high is your ceiling and how much above the counter top do they hang?

• claybabe
    15 years ago

Chinchette, it looks GREAT! I love the 4" backsplash (I think I spent so many years hating my old formica 4" splash that it didn't occur to me to put one in!).

Cabs are gorgeous.
    Details? Granite, cabs, stuff, you know, we want DEtails.

• peemps
    15 years ago

Yes.......details please!!!

• suzieca
    15 years ago

In the details please include your tile floor info...I love it!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful!!

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thankyou everyone! I would like to get it in the FKB, its been two years...I need to get some pix with better lighting.

The backsplash was the barrier to completing the kitchen for so long. We needed to cover a 1/4 inch gap that the granite company left us with 3 feet to the left of the cook top. There was no logical place to start-change-stop the backsplash, so I came up with this. It works because its the same color as the granite but gives it more texture.

The tile floor is rectified porcelain with 16th inch grout lines. Installed on a mud bed. It bevels down to the hardwood floor. There are no trim pieces where they meet. Just a clean edge with a 16th" gap.

The cabinets are natural mahogany. Local cabinet maker. A forum member gave us the scoop on a process to age them- mahogany starts out light colored. I prefer it with no stain.

The cook top is De Detriche, due to my research on the appliance forum...
    Dish drawers (F&P) flank the sink on the island. Best decision. They have wooden panels

KA fridge counter depth.

The pendants are Tech Lighting. I'm not thrilled with them because they bug my eyes a bit. They are 32" from the island counter. When the are off they are orangey colored.

I will post the before picture in a bit.
    It wasn't DYI but was designed by us with forum input and TONS of research here- and I was the GC. We did the majority of it when biz was a lot better!! Who knows what would be cut out if we were doing it now...

Thanks for looking. I will post some better pix. We love it and we don't have that many TKO friends so its nice to post here!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Just clicked on the pic to see the other ones in your photobucket--boy do I like your house! Any more shots of your LR (family room?)?

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks cat mom! I was trying not to show the breakfast room because the clash of styles (the farm table and chairs) really annoys me. I've added some more photos now, and I think it gives more of an idea of what the overall space is.Click on the pictures.

It seems like they come out darker on photobucket than they really are.

• peemps
    15 years ago

Chinchette, I love the style of your home and that kitchen is awesome! May I ask what the name of your granite is?

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Chichette-- Sorry-- been out in the "real" world for the last couple of days!! You might check your area for Mapei. Sometimes you can find it at Lowes, and sometimes at Home Depot. Almost always you can order it through a tile showroom. If not, let me know, and we'll go from a different direction.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Looove it!!!! All that space, and those ceilings--awesome! You did such a nice job on your kitchen, no wonder your doggie likes to watch from the family room!

• scootermom
    15 years ago

beautiful kitchen -- love the backsplash and the stools...the cabinets are to die for!!

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all again!

The granite is Typhoon Green. It does not look minty in real life.

• neesie
    15 years ago

Chinchette, beautiful kitchen! I just wanted to tell you if you are cooking something greasy the splatters (like italian sausage) you could drape a towel over that pretty picture you have under your hood. It's an old trick that works, lol!

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

chinchette...your kitchen and great room are one
    of my very favorites. It looks like you have one oven
    and I am curious as to where the micro is?

Thanks and congratulations on such a great space!

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much! We don't use the micro much at all, so I put it in one of the cabinets. If you look at the picture of the dish drawer, in the background is a pantry type cabinet. Its in there. I have room for another oven under the cook top if anyone needed to add one in the future.

This is Florida and we cook on The Big Green Egg on the patio several days a week all year round. Also, my cook top is induction and what I would do in a micro wave I do on that- its so fast.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous!!! I love the Mahogany....so, how did you age it?

Your BS looks perfect for your kitchen! A "full" BS would have looked out of place.

Get this kitchen in the FKB now!!! :-)

• chinchette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thankyou! It was a long story- we were not familiar with Mahogany and were not sure if this was really Mahogany as it looked so light and wimpy. MongoCT, a forum member gave me a lot of data and pictures of aged mahogany. He told me that it can be bathed in a solution of (Not positive if my memory is correct here) Potasium Dichromate. Its VERY poisonous. The cabinet guy got ahold of some and put on a suit and mask, etc., and sprayed it on. It instantly ages the wood, but now it needs to be re-sanded. It was a lot of extra work. However, we could see that it was for sure Mahogany.

I think that if we had not done that, they would have just aged on their own but it would take a year or two, but I'm not sure if that is so after the catalytic finish goes on. Maybe it would take longer. I am thinking now that they would have just aged like Cherry does all on their own and that would save that step.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

chinette... I caught your kitchen through lissa's backsplash thread. Would you mind sharing details (manufacturer/color) on your recitified porcelain floor? Did you use epoxy grout? Looks beautiful! Your entire house is fabulous.