Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixkeys

Pros/cons of built in soap dispenser?

sixkeys
9 years ago

Minor issue, but I kind of just assumed I would drill a hole and have a built-in soap dispenser for the main sink and prep sink. I am noticing that not everyone does that....so, in the interest of over-thinking everything in my new kitchen....please enlighten me about your decision. Thank you!

Comments (31)

• Fori
    9 years ago

It's something else to clean around. But then so is the bottle of soap that doesn't get put away...

• arlocat
    9 years ago

It is so convenient to just pump the amount you need and not have to dig in cupboards down below each time you want soap. Make sure you add a Never MT connection so you won't need to fill the dispenser very often.

• silken1
    9 years ago

I love mine. I've had one for years. I use it for dish soap but use it on my hands too when handling raw meat. Recently my plastic bottle broke and I was without it for a number of weeks while I looked for a replacement. I hated having the bottle of dish soap out and having to grab it with dirty hands and squirt out some soap. If I'm preparing meat I then move to the sink and pump some soap with a clean part of my hand and wash my hands. So handy and sanitary.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

With a NeverMT: all the pros above but not necessary to go looking for a replacement bottle. When you "fill" it, you will get a fresh bottle. Use a large bottle and that may be every year or two. Use a gentle soap and the tiniest dot will also act as hand soap (Dawn washed birds and ducks -- it can clean my hands, but it's concentrated so I only need the tiniest bit for most jobs).

Without a NeverMT: having to fill the bottle, clean over-fills and drips, or find a replacement bottle.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

accidental duplicate deleted

This post was edited by lascatx on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 23:51

• musicgal
    9 years ago

We have one in our rental while we are building and its been ok. I reach under the sink and pull out my dishsoap when I need it most often, and it is no biggie. I did not have an extra hole cut in my stone for a dispenser. I am old, so take this for what it's worth, but as styles come and go- I see that being referred to in the future as that "nasty piece of business that came with the house", much like the old intercom systems or razor blade disposer slots. My builder and I discussed trends and he said that here, a few years ago, the built-in vacuums were a big trend, but not so much anymore. I just see them as trendy, but I see touch faucets the same way- so what do I know. But that for me, is one reason- not wanting an extra hole for something I view as nonplumbing related.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

All pros and no cons and I dont have a never mt. I fill it very infrequently and dont use the precious space under the sink for a big container. I do thin the Dawn soap with water and it never clogs nor breaks. I am old and hate clutter.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

As I mentioned on another thread, soap dribbling from a bottle and covered by a bottle for extended periods will play hell with most stone countertops. Have the tip of your dispenser land over your sink.

• julie94062
    9 years ago

Agree with Tre. You want it to extend over the bowl of the sink. Mine has an extra long reach (3-1/2") which drops perfectly into the edge of the sink bowl. I scoot the crusty baking dish (or pots/pans, whatever) to the corner of the sink, add soap and fill it up to soak. I also have the Never MT and I've replaced the big Costco dishwashing soap bottle under the sink once in the last four years. And like others have said, great to have it to wash your hands without an extra bottle on the counter.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I have one at both sinks and had one pre-reno in my old kitchen so have about 11 years experience with them. I also see only pros. No cons. I loved mine even in the old kitchen without the NeverMTs.

I use hand soap in mine as it never occurred to me 11 years ago that people used them for dish soap. I wash my hands more times a day than I use dish soap though so hand soap only made sense to me.

I would never purposely be without one again. I hate having to clean a freestanding bottle. And under it. I hate how they can slide around the counter or get knocked over. And I hate the visual clutter.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

musicgal - I wanted to put in a vintage intercom SO badly but was told I couldn't :( I still may do it anyway when it comes time to redo the office/den since that will probably have a slightly updated mid-'60s look from the vision for the other original parts of the place.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I am old, so take this for what it's worth, but as styles come and go- I see that being referred to in the future as that "nasty piece of business that came with the house", much like the old intercom systems or razor blade disposer slots

I felt the same way, so no hole in my counter. I keep the dish soap bottle out when cooking and for clean up, then I put it away. Usually twice a day. It's not much of a chore.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I'm also old and don't have one, nor do I regret not getting one. I'm also one of those people who use the dish soap enough that taking it out and putting it back multiple times a day is a worse prospect than seeing the bottle sitting there. But then, I have a higher tolerance for clutter on the counter than most.

• dretutz
    9 years ago

Love mine. With the Never MT and the spout over the sink, it is no hassle. I especially like being able to tap with my elbow when my hands have raw chicken; can clean easily without cross contamination. I, too, am past the Medicare age and would not live without this convenient tool.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I always think every crevice is a place for germs and did not want one more thing creating a crevice to clean around.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I am old and couldn't wait to get one! That and a trash pull-out and I'm livin' large! At first I filled it with dish soap, but we only wash a few things in the evening, so I was washing my hands several times a day with dish soap. That didn't make sense, so I switched to hand soap after the dish soap ran out.

I don't have a Never MT because I have a smaller sink base. I bought a Kohler dispenser with a 16 oz bottle and only need to top fill it about every two months.

• CTN30
    9 years ago

My kitchen has one now (came with it), and I actually don't think we're going to drill for it when the new counters are installed. We never use it - I feel like it's easier to just buy a separate bottle of hand soap than change it in the dispenser. I don't mind the look of a separate bottle next to the sink.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I don't have one. I wouldn't want one more thing to clean around, don't want soap dribbles on my new stone, don't want that hole to limit my faucet choices in the future, and would technically need three holes (hand soap, dish soap, lotion) to avoid opening the cabinet.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Despite all the praise for these things, I didn't want one when we remodeled last year. And I don't miss it either. Our soaps are under the sink most of the time and sometimes I just keep the small bottle in the sink (large single bowl).

The main con is not wanting extra holes/things cluttering the back of the sink. I have my single hole faucet and my air switch for GD and that's it.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! I can always count on GW for and in-depth perspective from other TKO folks.

I think that for me, having one will be great. Especially because of the NeverMT - sounds really nice!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Love ours - Thanks to a generous GWebber, I attached a NeverMT to it and it is great!
    My DH is a bit OCD and washes his hands frequently and with the Waterstone plus NeverMT - hardly ever have to swap bottles.
    I use regular liquid soap but some models require a thinner soap to be effective.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I must be one of the messy minority!! We have a one hole faucet and that is all I wanted. We don't use/have a garbage disposal, no hot/cold water faucet either. My dish soap and hand soap are both out all the time and they don't bother me at all...I can't stand the fussiness of having to put something away and take it back out as many times in a day as I need hand or dish soap. Dish soap on the right, hand soap on the left...and sometimes DH will put the hand soap in the window sill or the dish soap gets pushed further away from the sink...whatever!!!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

My dish soap and hand soap are both out all the time and they don't bother me at all...I can't stand the fussiness of having to put something away and take it back out as many times in a day as I need hand or dish soap. Dish soap on the right, hand soap on the left.

dcward89, you took the words right out of my mouth. I have the exact same setup. No taking out the bottle, using it, putting it back. Up/down, open/close, repeat/repeat.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

shicksal- there are are bunch of Brady Bunch era houses here in the neighborhood where I am building and I personally love some of the kitsch that is still present in them, like the brick pizza ovens, and the record players that fold out of the wall. My first microwave was the size of a small car. Alas, I remember when borders in the kitchen were a fresh look.

Just sayin', time marches on and the kitchens of the future will be decided upon by those curly haired babies you see in the grocery carts quicker than you can say Kelvinator-

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

I LOVE gardenweb ... I learn so much here! Never heard of the never MT, it's EXACTLY what we need. The soap dispenser we use for dishes and hand (antibac soap is good for both) and refill our bottle at least once every few weeks. This thing is genius! Thanks for the tip!

• shannonaz
    9 years ago

I absolutely love my soap dispensers! I have had one in the kitchen for 10 years and I put them in the bathrooms for hand soap. I use dish soap as hand soap in the kitchen, works great. I find that I prefer a short spout because for me they are easier to use one-handed.

• carree
    9 years ago

Is it possible to retrofit the MT dispenser into an existing soap dispenser? I just went to Amazon but they are out of stock. Though really, it is my husband who refills the soap dispenser for me about once every two or three months and he's not complaining :)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

caree - absolutely - Find the biggest bottle of soap you can find, attach the matching lid - follow the priming instructions (there are a few different options depending on your faucet).
    Ignore for a months! In your case, it might be a year - but my OCD DH can use a lot of soap!
    Enjoy!!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I swear I only used half a bottle of Costco-sized soap in a year with the NeverMT. Caree, it's ALWAYS retrofitted - it's not something that's meant to be built in.

• stanleydog99
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

didn't have one installed on granite installation. wished i had. I am disabled, (wheelchair, arthritis, fatigue issues), so going under the sink for the bottle is more work for me, and with a modern kitchen design, don't want clutter of bottle on counter. Did have moen auto detection (senses when you put your hands in front of it. One can also disable feature, so win win). Godsend. Aides like it too. Figure is next buyer doesn't like it, they can get their own. Will be installing soap dispensers in kitchen and bathrooms myself soon, though I doo like the bathroom auto dispenser , yet it takes up space.