Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do we need to install an air cap for the dishwasher?

Posted by melkel31 (melanie_kelly@hcpss.org) on
Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 21:03

Just dawned on us that we may need an air cap for the dishwasher. From what I am reading we MAY not need to have one of these eye soars! ;) Anyone know if we can get away with not using one of these? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do we need to install an air cap for the dishwasher?

Contact your local permitting agency and ask 'em. Sometimes, even if it's required, a waiver can be had for certain models of dishwasher that are built to not need one.

o

Our plumber told us they are required by code in our area, but he doesn't consider them necessary. He suggested that we yank it out (since we've passed inspection) and replace it with something like a soap dispenser. We haven't bothered - it's there, and I've pretty much forgotten about it.

o

PS, it's an "air gap".

o

I am linking a recent thread on this topic. Where to you live? There are only a very few places left in the U.S. that require air gaps, mostly California. That's because new DWs today come with the "high loop hose" which is as effective as an air gap (some say the high loop is more effective and better than an air gap, some say the air gap is better, but either way, the high loop is the accepted or preferred by Building Code in most locations in this country.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens Forum Thread about Air Gaps

o

thanks everyone and oops! air gap ;) spoke to my dad as well who is our contractor ;) he said we won't need one either so problem solved! Just didn't want it with our pretty apron copper sink. kind of an eye soar on such a pretty sink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here