Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2LittleFishies Banquette for Yellow Kitchen... CHECK!!!

Posted by 2LittleFishies (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 21:02

Here's our kitchen if you haven't seen it...

DSC00796 photo file_zpsdc2cb21e.jpg

DSC00794 photo file_zps38b41ba6.jpg

DSC00572 photo file_zpsbe195cc5.jpg

DSC00653 photo file_zps0faf36b7.jpg

DSC01005 photo file_zpscb0c5505.jpg

Here is my reveal thread:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0222274329904.html?20

Greenhouse Fabrics Bluebell:

IMG_2229 photo file_zpsba20687d.jpg

Finished Banquette! (still missing some buttons til tomorrow)

DSC01215 photo file_zps3799d772.jpg

DSC01223 photo file_zps25ac2d01.jpg

Some buttons are not on yet... will be done tomorrow : )

DSC01224 photo file_zps3f101232.jpg

DSC01230 photo file_zpsce903b44.jpg

DSC01231 photo file_zps56beb689.jpg

DSC01233 photo file_zps5160b831.jpg

DSC01234 photo file_zpsa5d23383.jpg

DSC01235 photo file_zps1f03d837.jpg

DSC01236 photo file_zps2b8e241c.jpg

DSC01240 photo file_zps2e1b7967.jpg

DSC01244 photo file_zps993ca676.jpg

DSC01246 photo file_zps0869948e.jpg

DSC01248 photo file_zps6a8e7ad9.jpg

DSC01249 photo file_zps90c3e024.jpg

DSC01251 photo file_zps65e377b2.jpg

The seat is naugahyde vinyl and the Greenhouse Bluebell fabric is a SUNBRELLA fabric. We were originally doing cushions but decided to upholster it so no moving cushions.

SOOO glad to be done... Oh, except we have to buy a table! Our demo began 11 months ago- The whole thing from the start of planning was 1 year 10 months ago... whew!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2LittleFishies Banquette for Yellow Kitchen... CHECK!!!

The fabric is perfect. That was my fav from the beginning. The kitchen is gorgeous.

o

Oh my goodness! How lovely!!! Just perfect.
I think you will like this much more than loose cushions.
It looks so comfy!

o

Oh my. But of course it's perfect, it's your kitchen. With your attention to detail, you have my vote for leader of the free world....

o

It looks fantastic 2littlefishies!! Love the fabric, love the shape of the banquette. It is like a cherry on top of you kitchen :)

o

What a happy space
Perfection!

o

Perfect.

o

I have loved your sunny, cheery kitchen from the first time I saw it and have been following your banquette saga. It is just as lovely as the rest of your kitchen. I am so envious. I just love it!

o

Cute

o

perfectly suited for your lovely kitchen. It's a beautiful job!

o

Beautiful. Thanks for keeping us updated.

o

It looks right at home there! Great job.

o

Wowza -- that's the most elegant banquette I've ever seen! The sweet fabric keeps it from being *too* sophisticated, and it fits right in with your lovely kitchen. Brilliant idea to put the butt-friendly naugahyde on the bottom cushion :-)

o

Hi Fishies !
What a perfect touch to your beautiful kitchen !
I love absolutely everything about it !
Can't wait to see what you choose for your table.
Best to you.i

o

Absolutely divine! Should be in a magazine!

o

It goes perfectly! I can't wait to see the final "final" reveal with the table!

Great space fishes. :)

o

Gorgeous!

o

It's very cute, Fishies. You've thought of everything, and now your kitchen is complete. I hope you and your family have great meals and happy times there.

Curious...how is the bluebells part of the banquette held in place? Can it be removed for cleaning, or do you spot-clean in place?

o

It wasn't my favourite choice of fabric - but I'm glad I didn't give my opinion......it is fabulous! I love, love, love your kitchen. So jealous! I'm waiting to see the table too. Keep posting - I've shown your kitchen to my sisters and we are all anxious to see the final reveal. Thanks

o

Very well done! Love the Bluebell fabric, too. How did they attach it to the back?

o

you chose well...that will get some serious use....doesn't your backyard have a pool? looks like your seating around island and banquette can handle some damp suits with the smart fabrics you picked....Indoor/outdoor is wonderful...

o

That looks great! They did a nice job matching the pattern, too. Very pretty.

o

So gorgeous! Love it! Congrats on a beautiful kitchen!

o

How lovely ... it works so well with the rest of the room. I can imagine relaxing there with a cup of coffee and the morning paper just enjoying the fruits of your labor.

o

Forgot to ask. What kind of table and chairs will you be using with it? Do you have those yet? Looking forward to seeing it all together.

o

Zowie! It is perfect in your kitchen. I love it!
What style table are you planning. What material?

o

I love what you chose! I love the look of banquettes, but always wonder if they'd bother me personally a little for getting in/out etc. Yours is the most inviting & beautiful, while at the same time comfortable and practical that I've ever seen! Can't wait to see it with table!

o

Love the fabric you chose for the banquet space. What color paint did you use of the wall?

o

Thanks so much everyone! The rest of the buttons got put on today and it looks great.

oldbat2be- you crack me up!! : )

herbflavor- Yes, we have a pool, but we are pretty strict about not sitting with damp suits in the house. But yes, you're right- it's always good to plan for it anyway!

The Bluebells fabric is a Sunbrella fabric. I'm thinking it should wear well. The foam was glued on and then the fabric is stapled and nailed into the bench. The buttons are nailed with special nails into the plywood bench. Supposedly they can't come out unless you really try to pull them out very hard.

The upholsterer was a real perfectionist and really took his time when designing it and actually doing it. He was here almost 3 full days. He says down the road to redo it will be easier being the design is there. Also the seat can be unscrewed and removed in order to work on the back. The seat was constructed on a piece of plywood and then the wood and foam was wrapped in dacron and then the vinyl.

Here are some other photos.

DSC01206 photo file_zps11fb0d95.jpg

DSC01208 photo file_zpsb32716c8.jpg

DSC01214 photo file_zps7a64e8ad.jpg

As far as a table, I'm broke. lol Seriously we just also did work outside (sprinklers, grass, awnings) so we aren't buying a table anytime too soon. I have some ideas regarding the size it needs to be, etc. but won't get into that right now : ) We do have our old table which fits fine except it has 4 legs which makes it hard to slide into the banquette unless you pull the table out. We really only have been sitting at island anyway!

Thanks again for all of your comments and for following my kitchen along the way!

o

The wall paint color is BM HC-147 Woodlawn Blue

o

I think it is perfect!

o

Gorgeous! I love your attention to detail!

o

Wow! I love it!!! Looking at your kitchen puts a smile on my face. It's so bright and cheerful (for lack of a better word).

o

wow, lovely choices! might i suggest a glass table? it would let you see your banquette fabrics better!

o

Pretty and so comfy looking.

o

Love it!

o

Beautiful!

o

Beautiful!

o

Oh, so beautiful. I love the fabric, well done.
MJ

o

So great!! Even better than I pictured it would be!

o

Your kitchen is my FAVORITE on garden web. And, it is not even my style. It is great! Love seeing its evolution. Bravo.

o

Love it all! Where did you get your island bar stools?

o

Thanks All! It means a lot to me to hear your kind words!

30svintage- Those are from grandinroad.com

o

Love the color of the fabrics and how they tie in with the yellow cabs. Really lovely!

o

I was just going to email you and ask how it was going, and then I saw this post!

Email me with any "news" if you have any.....

;-)

Bee

o

I was just going to email you and ask how it was going, and then I saw this post! It looks GORGEOUS!!! Just as we all knew it would!

Email me with any "news" if you have any.....

;-)

Bee

o

It looks beautiful! That fabric is just perfect :)

o

Totally off topic of the banquette (which is absolutely adorable...as previously said!)...what colour is your beam between the kitchen and the dining area painted?

o

ali80ca- The beam (as well as the whole kitchen/DR minus the blue wall) is painted BM Elephant Tusk.
I love it. When it was first painted it seemed too yellow-y but once the Barley cabs went in it was totally right : )

o

That's what made me ask...in the one photo it looked yellowy, but I didnt think it was the same as the cabinets. Your kitchen is sunny and cheerful but at the same time so calm, it truly is beautiful. I hope you get many years of use out of it :)

o

How exciting! How pretty! I love the bluebells. It was one of my favorite fabrics. I also LOVE that you did a contrasting seat fabric! I think it looks phenomenal.

o

Success! Looks great.

I totally believe you that you won't be looking for a table for a while. No, really.

o

I posted a question on your 2nd reveal thread but then it fell off the first page.

So slightly OT, but how do you like your DW? I am ordering it for my new kitchen and was wondering how well it dries and how quiet it is.

Love your kitchen - all of it. It makes me smile.

o

marcolo- Too funny.... and you're right!
Thanks! What's new with you?

marthastoo- Love our DW : ) It dries very well except for some of the plastic items but that doesn't bother me. It's also very quiet (from what we had!). I love the 3rd rack and really have no complaints!

o

You NAILED it!!!
Awesome
Yellow sings to my heart! ... so your kitchen is talking to me :)

Going to look for fabric friday... hope I can find something as wonderful as yours!
Love it
Jen

o

i love this! The sunbrella fabric was a great idea. can you tell me more about this fabric? is is supposed to be easily washable/cleanable? I am thinking about using such fabric for a bench in my great room but I want something I can clean easily because I know my special needs kiddo will get it dirty (the bench is for him because he loves to sit in the sun in the window :) )

o

Thanks jennybc : )

illinigirl- There are a lot of Sunbrella choices. They now do interior fabrics as well as exterior. There's lots of info on their site! Also, several companies make fabrics in Sunbrella- meaning I used Greenhouse Fabrics but it was made by Sunbrella for them.
http://www.sunbrella.com/en/home/indoor/

Here is a link that might be useful: SUNBRELLA INDOOR FABRICS

o

Beautiful work.

I was thinking of you a while back --

Do you have room for a little Gustav Klimt art - "The Kiss" ?
http://www.allposters.com/-st/The-Kiss-Klimt-Posters_c84546_.htm

It has all your colors. It has both yellows - the brighter one, and the deeper yellow / caramel on your cushion. The most visible other color is your blue.

Our annual vacation was a "Hello Mozart" vacation during Christmas in Salzburg and Vienna.

In the Vienna Christmas outdoor markets one vendor was selling Klimt things. We picked up a tote bag with "The Kiss" on it, several change purses with the Tree of Life on it, and a smart phone case with "The Kiss" for me.

Every once in a while, someone who sees my phone case and gushes, "Oh you like Klimt too!! I admit - no, I had never heard of Klimt till last Christmas..

Goodness, I wish I had bought 20 of those change purses, I would have stocking stuffer gifts ready for a long time. People back home fight over who got the 3-4 we bought.

http://www.austria.info/uk/art-culture/gustav-klimt-the-kiss-1545315.html

http://www.vagabond.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/viennachristmasmarket.jpg

http://www.austria.info/uk/art-culture/gustav-klimt-the-kiss-1545315.html

o

The whole thing deserves a magazine spread.

o

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!!!
:)Laura

o

I had these prints made... Table is still the old one but working on a new one this week : )

DSC01432 photo file_zps107eeeca.jpg

DSC01427 photo file_zpsa9686986.jpg

DSC01434 photo file_zpsd84a3e2b.jpg

DSC01436 photo file_zps8ff2bf8e.jpg

DSC01447 photo file_zpsb8c4a855.jpg

(Had extra banquette fabric so we had a cushion made for the bay window. I figured we can use it when we want or remove it if we want to put plants, etc there.

DSC01463 photo file_zpsc3aecf05.jpg

DSC01487 photo file_zps541ea77a.jpg

o

OMG, perfect!!! I love the prints and the banquette looks awesome. Wouldn't have thought it possible for your kitchen to get any prettier!

Just curious, do you have a separate formal DR in your house?

o

Thanks, homebuyer! No, we don't have a formal DR... It's a small Cape and to maximize space and functionality we decided kitchen/DR would be one room and get the most use. We still need a new table but actually we don't sit at it much yet.
We always eat at the island which seats 5-6.

Thanks again : )

o

That is really beautiful! You are a master at details. Everything you add is just layer upon layer that fits together for such a pleasing result. Wish I had that ability. May you enjoy your kitchen for many happy years!

I agree with Nini--your kitchen should be in a magazine.

o

"Wouldn't have thought it possible for your kitchen to get any prettier! " took the words right out of my mouth. Every time I see this thread topped I heave a sigh.

The bird prints compliment that space so well. When you say you "had them made", are they painted or fabric? paper cut outs? Lovely.

o

***I'm thinking the table will be a walnut top like my island and the 2 Countertops on either side of the banquette bench. With a creamy white base. Too much walnut??

The prints are from Etsy. There were different variations and I sent swatches of my paint and fabrics for the best colors

o

***I'm thinking the table will be a walnut top like my island and the 2 Countertops on either side of the banquette bench. With a creamy white base. Too much walnut??

The prints are from Etsy. There were different variations and I sent swatches of my paint and fabrics for the best colors

o

Fishies! You cannot eat all your meals at the island!!! It's very pretty, but if you don't start using that beautiful banquette and lovely window seat...I'm going to drive over there and make you sit down and have tea with me! LOL

The little bird pictures are wonderful and you've done a fantastic job with your new kitchen and dining area. Better than I ever imagined....and I knew it would be nice, when you were choosing your fabrics :)

o

Fishies...its like the icing on top of a beautiful cake. Perfect finishing touch. My personal opinion is you can never have too much gorgeous walnut.
Alison

o

Beautiful! I agree you must start using the banquette. It is part of your home that will create many wonderful memories.

o

Thanks everyone! I don't know why we haven't used it! I think just b/c for several months without the upholstery it just wasn't usable (seat felt low, etc) and with the old table there the kid's school, coloring papers, etc.. tend to hang out there...

We definitely need to start using it!! : ) Thanks for all the comments here xo Fishies

o

You really have a spectacular space...it's more than a kitchen/dining room - it's the total package!

I love how you put the blue bird on the end versus the center.

o

Perfection! That looks like a wonderful and inviting place to sit. Great choices!!

o

Great colors - very nice!

o

THANKS everyone! I have to admit I'm in love with my bird prints : )

o

Fishies: wow. Like, totally wow.

o

Fishes-I'm just beginning to work on my banquette in a 90" inch long (window side) and 42" wide U space.

Any tips or design layout on how your carpenter made the wood component. I feel comfortable mine can do curves also. I'm considering doing a similar wood frame along the 90" window wall to allow greater space for a table.

Thank you very much for any help. Your kitchen is simply splendid.

o

Beautiful

o

Wow Fishies! I didn't think it was possible for your kitchen to be even more beautiful but your bird prints made it so! I just love them! Best Wishes.

HK

o

Love the bird prints and they harmonize so nicely with the windows above. What a beautiful altogether picture.

o

duplicate post, sorry

This post was edited by blfenton on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 17:09

o

Fishies - I think (I hope!) that I commented on how lovely your kitchen is sometime earlier when you first posted.

I have some questions regarding the banquette seating - can you tell me how high up your base is for the seat? And how thick is the foam that you used? I assume it was high density foam. It looks like you used a wood base to adhere the foam - we're hoping not to do that since we would like to be able to flip our cushions every once in a while...but how much does the foam seem to crush down when you sit? We're trying to get an idea of what we should use and how high we need to make the actual seat portion itself before placing the cushion.

Now that you've had everything in place for a few months, any things that you would do differently?

o

Hi andreak! You mean how high is the seat from the floor? At first (without upholstery) I was afraid it was too low but the upholsterer did a fantastic job and it is perfect.

The bottom of the seat (underneath) is 14 1/4" from the floor. The top of the seat (without cushion is just under 15 3/4"... The top of the cushion to the floor is about 19" at end but it seems to poof up a bit after the edge. I don't know the thickness exactly of the foam but I'd say 3".

The reason we used a piece of plywood to adhere the foam is that the seat was made a bit shallow and with a back cushion the seat wouldn't be deep enough. In other words when you sat on the seat without a back cushion it felt perfect so we needed to built the seat out a bit so with back cushions would be comfortable.

I wouldn't change anything! The only thing to take into consideration is the size table you will use. We are having one custom done because with our dimensions none of the standard sizes would work very well. Of course being it is custom it will cost more money.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

o

So, so beautiful.

o

So, so pretty and cheerful. I love the butter yellow cabinets and banquette area!

o

Little Fishes, love your little birdies and I think the table you have looks great. So happy this thread resurfaced, because I didn't see the prints before. Your banquette upholstery dude did an amazing job. Meticulous! I want it that craftsmanship! Where are you located?

Also where is the window seat? I paged back thru the pics to see it in the context of your space but didn't find it.
What's on the other end of your kitchen behind where you've taken most pictures, behind that narrow end of the island opposite the table side? Does it open to another room or is the window seat on that side?
Looks like you have glorious light from all sides in that space.

This post was edited by island on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 15:00

o

island- We're getting a new table. We need a pedestal so the legs aren't in the way. We've had this one for years. The new one is being made. We are in NJ.

The bay window is between the fridge and the organizational cabinetry to the left of the banquette.

Here is the final reveal... maybe that will help you see the whole space? : )

Here is a link that might be useful: FINAL REVEAL THREAD

o

Hi 2 Fishes. The link you posted is for this thread, not a final. Shows the fridge, but not the window seat. Can you post the final reveal if you have it? I'd like to read the list of details if you included that. Thanks

o

island I just clicked it and it is the reveal thread... Here's the link in case.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0222274329904.html?20

o

Thanks! Thanks different than what opens up for me when I click on "Final Reveal Thread" provided 3 posts back.
Wow what a huge difference!! Hard to believe it's the same space.
Can see the window seat now, love it, and your kitchen is stunning from every angle. Your home exterior is so cute too.
Thanks for taking the time to answer Qs and repost the thread.
Of course, you must post back when you get the new table. :>)

o

OMG, this kitchen is seriously adorable. I love the soft yellow and blue. What a nice cheery kitchen!

o

Fishies - yes, that helps quite a bit. Our banquette seating won't be nearly as beautiful as yours - we're going a bit more utilitarian and having storage drawers under the seating and we won't have the lovely curve that you do - ours will be L-shaped.

I've been struggling with how much the high-density foam (HDF) will wind up compacting down when we sit on it, so it's hard to decide how many inches is enough. I've read that the dacron overwrap doesn't really add to the overall height when sitting - it's purpose is to make everything fit smoothly around the HDF. Hard to decide if 3" or 4" foam is the best bet...but if you think you have 3" and it's comfortable, I'm thinking that I'll go that way.

Good warning about the table. With the curve you have, it probably would be very difficult to get a standard table to work. Although we won't have the curve challenge, we're leaning toward having a table made anyway...we're hoping to do a live edge slab table - we fell in love with some that we saw at the resort we vacationed at and I've been just slightly obsessed with them ever since.

Thank you for the help. Every time I see pictures of your kitchen, it just makes me smile - your kitchen is something that I'd never have the foresight to put together, but it really is lovely and inviting. Looking forward to seeing your table when it gets finished.

o

I love how your place has come together. Would you mind sharing which etsy seller you used for the bird prints? Thanks!

o

Thanks, Laurajane- The Etsy seller is pixie pixels.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/pixiepixels

o

Great, thanks!

o

I am still in awe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here