Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

2LittleFishies Banquette for Yellow Kitchen... CHECK!!!

2LittleFishies
10 years ago

Here's our kitchen if you haven't seen it...

Here is my reveal thread:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0222274329904.html?20

Greenhouse Fabrics Bluebell:

Finished Banquette! (still missing some buttons til tomorrow)

Some buttons are not on yet... will be done tomorrow : )

The seat is naugahyde vinyl and the Greenhouse Bluebell fabric is a SUNBRELLA fabric. We were originally doing cushions but decided to upholster it so no moving cushions.

SOOO glad to be done... Oh, except we have to buy a table! Our demo began 11 months ago- The whole thing from the start of planning was 1 year 10 months ago... whew!

Comments (95)

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

It looks beautiful! That fabric is just perfect :)

• ali80ca
    10 years ago

Totally off topic of the banquette (which is absolutely adorable...as previously said!)...what colour is your beam between the kitchen and the dining area painted?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ali80ca- The beam (as well as the whole kitchen/DR minus the blue wall) is painted BM Elephant Tusk.
    I love it. When it was first painted it seemed too yellow-y but once the Barley cabs went in it was totally right : )

• ali80ca
    10 years ago

That's what made me ask...in the one photo it looked yellowy, but I didnt think it was the same as the cabinets. Your kitchen is sunny and cheerful but at the same time so calm, it truly is beautiful. I hope you get many years of use out of it :)

• momtofour
    10 years ago

How exciting! How pretty! I love the bluebells. It was one of my favorite fabrics. I also LOVE that you did a contrasting seat fabric! I think it looks phenomenal.

• marcolo
    10 years ago

Success! Looks great.

I totally believe you that you won't be looking for a table for a while. No, really.

• marthastoo
    10 years ago

I posted a question on your 2nd reveal thread but then it fell off the first page.

So slightly OT, but how do you like your DW? I am ordering it for my new kitchen and was wondering how well it dries and how quiet it is.

Love your kitchen - all of it. It makes me smile.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

marcolo- Too funny.... and you're right!
    Thanks! What's new with you?

marthastoo- Love our DW : ) It dries very well except for some of the plastic items but that doesn't bother me. It's also very quiet (from what we had!). I love the 3rd rack and really have no complaints!

• jennybc
    10 years ago

You NAILED it!!!
    Awesome
    Yellow sings to my heart! ... so your kitchen is talking to me :)

Going to look for fabric friday... hope I can find something as wonderful as yours!
    Love it
    Jen

• illinigirl
    10 years ago

i love this! The sunbrella fabric was a great idea. can you tell me more about this fabric? is is supposed to be easily washable/cleanable? I am thinking about using such fabric for a bench in my great room but I want something I can clean easily because I know my special needs kiddo will get it dirty (the bench is for him because he loves to sit in the sun in the window :) )

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks jennybc : )

illinigirl- There are a lot of Sunbrella choices. They now do interior fabrics as well as exterior. There's lots of info on their site! Also, several companies make fabrics in Sunbrella- meaning I used Greenhouse Fabrics but it was made by Sunbrella for them.
    http://www.sunbrella.com/en/home/indoor/

Here is a link that might be useful: SUNBRELLA INDOOR FABRICS

• Ivan I
    10 years ago

Beautiful work.

I was thinking of you a while back --

Do you have room for a little Gustav Klimt art - "The Kiss" ?
    http://www.allposters.com/-st/The-Kiss-Klimt-Posters_c84546_.htm

It has all your colors. It has both yellows - the brighter one, and the deeper yellow / caramel on your cushion. The most visible other color is your blue.

Our annual vacation was a "Hello Mozart" vacation during Christmas in Salzburg and Vienna.

In the Vienna Christmas outdoor markets one vendor was selling Klimt things. We picked up a tote bag with "The Kiss" on it, several change purses with the Tree of Life on it, and a smart phone case with "The Kiss" for me.

Every once in a while, someone who sees my phone case and gushes, "Oh you like Klimt too!! I admit - no, I had never heard of Klimt till last Christmas..

Goodness, I wish I had bought 20 of those change purses, I would have stocking stuffer gifts ready for a long time. People back home fight over who got the 3-4 we bought.

http://www.austria.info/uk/art-culture/gustav-klimt-the-kiss-1545315.html

http://www.vagabond.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/viennachristmasmarket.jpg

http://www.austria.info/uk/art-culture/gustav-klimt-the-kiss-1545315.html

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

The whole thing deserves a magazine spread.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!!!
    :)Laura

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had these prints made... Table is still the old one but working on a new one this week : )

(Had extra banquette fabric so we had a cushion made for the bay window. I figured we can use it when we want or remove it if we want to put plants, etc there.

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

OMG, perfect!!! I love the prints and the banquette looks awesome. Wouldn't have thought it possible for your kitchen to get any prettier!

Just curious, do you have a separate formal DR in your house?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, homebuyer! No, we don't have a formal DR... It's a small Cape and to maximize space and functionality we decided kitchen/DR would be one room and get the most use. We still need a new table but actually we don't sit at it much yet.
    We always eat at the island which seats 5-6.

Thanks again : )

• tea4all
    10 years ago

That is really beautiful! You are a master at details. Everything you add is just layer upon layer that fits together for such a pleasing result. Wish I had that ability. May you enjoy your kitchen for many happy years!

I agree with Nini--your kitchen should be in a magazine.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

"Wouldn't have thought it possible for your kitchen to get any prettier! " took the words right out of my mouth. Every time I see this thread topped I heave a sigh.

The bird prints compliment that space so well. When you say you "had them made", are they painted or fabric? paper cut outs? Lovely.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

***I'm thinking the table will be a walnut top like my island and the 2 Countertops on either side of the banquette bench. With a creamy white base. Too much walnut??

The prints are from Etsy. There were different variations and I sent swatches of my paint and fabrics for the best colors

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

***I'm thinking the table will be a walnut top like my island and the 2 Countertops on either side of the banquette bench. With a creamy white base. Too much walnut??

The prints are from Etsy. There were different variations and I sent swatches of my paint and fabrics for the best colors

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Fishies! You cannot eat all your meals at the island!!! It's very pretty, but if you don't start using that beautiful banquette and lovely window seat...I'm going to drive over there and make you sit down and have tea with me! LOL

The little bird pictures are wonderful and you've done a fantastic job with your new kitchen and dining area. Better than I ever imagined....and I knew it would be nice, when you were choosing your fabrics :)

• ali80ca
    10 years ago

Fishies...its like the icing on top of a beautiful cake. Perfect finishing touch. My personal opinion is you can never have too much gorgeous walnut.
    Alison

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I agree you must start using the banquette. It is part of your home that will create many wonderful memories.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I don't know why we haven't used it! I think just b/c for several months without the upholstery it just wasn't usable (seat felt low, etc) and with the old table there the kid's school, coloring papers, etc.. tend to hang out there...

We definitely need to start using it!! : ) Thanks for all the comments here xo Fishies

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

You really have a spectacular space...it's more than a kitchen/dining room - it's the total package!

I love how you put the blue bird on the end versus the center.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Perfection! That looks like a wonderful and inviting place to sit. Great choices!!

• arch123
    10 years ago

Great colors - very nice!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THANKS everyone! I have to admit I'm in love with my bird prints : )

• aliris19
    10 years ago

Fishies: wow. Like, totally wow.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Fishes-I'm just beginning to work on my banquette in a 90" inch long (window side) and 42" wide U space.

Any tips or design layout on how your carpenter made the wood component. I feel comfortable mine can do curves also. I'm considering doing a similar wood frame along the 90" window wall to allow greater space for a table.

Thank you very much for any help. Your kitchen is simply splendid.

• blondy6082
    10 years ago

Beautiful

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Wow Fishies! I didn't think it was possible for your kitchen to be even more beautiful but your bird prints made it so! I just love them! Best Wishes.

HK

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Love the bird prints and they harmonize so nicely with the windows above. What a beautiful altogether picture.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

duplicate post, sorry

This post was edited by blfenton on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 17:09

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Fishies - I think (I hope!) that I commented on how lovely your kitchen is sometime earlier when you first posted.

I have some questions regarding the banquette seating - can you tell me how high up your base is for the seat? And how thick is the foam that you used? I assume it was high density foam. It looks like you used a wood base to adhere the foam - we're hoping not to do that since we would like to be able to flip our cushions every once in a while...but how much does the foam seem to crush down when you sit? We're trying to get an idea of what we should use and how high we need to make the actual seat portion itself before placing the cushion.

Now that you've had everything in place for a few months, any things that you would do differently?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi andreak! You mean how high is the seat from the floor? At first (without upholstery) I was afraid it was too low but the upholsterer did a fantastic job and it is perfect.

The bottom of the seat (underneath) is 14 1/4" from the floor. The top of the seat (without cushion is just under 15 3/4"... The top of the cushion to the floor is about 19" at end but it seems to poof up a bit after the edge. I don't know the thickness exactly of the foam but I'd say 3".

The reason we used a piece of plywood to adhere the foam is that the seat was made a bit shallow and with a back cushion the seat wouldn't be deep enough. In other words when you sat on the seat without a back cushion it felt perfect so we needed to built the seat out a bit so with back cushions would be comfortable.

I wouldn't change anything! The only thing to take into consideration is the size table you will use. We are having one custom done because with our dimensions none of the standard sizes would work very well. Of course being it is custom it will cost more money.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

• westleyandbuttercup
    10 years ago

So, so beautiful.

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

So, so pretty and cheerful. I love the butter yellow cabinets and banquette area!

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Little Fishes, love your little birdies and I think the table you have looks great. So happy this thread resurfaced, because I didn't see the prints before. Your banquette upholstery dude did an amazing job. Meticulous! I want it that craftsmanship! Where are you located?

Also where is the window seat? I paged back thru the pics to see it in the context of your space but didn't find it.
    What's on the other end of your kitchen behind where you've taken most pictures, behind that narrow end of the island opposite the table side? Does it open to another room or is the window seat on that side?
    Looks like you have glorious light from all sides in that space.

This post was edited by island on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 15:00

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

island- We're getting a new table. We need a pedestal so the legs aren't in the way. We've had this one for years. The new one is being made. We are in NJ.

The bay window is between the fridge and the organizational cabinetry to the left of the banquette.

Here is the final reveal... maybe that will help you see the whole space? : )

Here is a link that might be useful: FINAL REVEAL THREAD

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Hi 2 Fishes. The link you posted is for this thread, not a final. Shows the fridge, but not the window seat. Can you post the final reveal if you have it? I'd like to read the list of details if you included that. Thanks

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

island I just clicked it and it is the reveal thread... Here's the link in case.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0222274329904.html?20

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Thanks! Thanks different than what opens up for me when I click on "Final Reveal Thread" provided 3 posts back.
    Wow what a huge difference!! Hard to believe it's the same space.
    Can see the window seat now, love it, and your kitchen is stunning from every angle. Your home exterior is so cute too.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer Qs and repost the thread.
    Of course, you must post back when you get the new table. :>)

• hazeldazel
    10 years ago

OMG, this kitchen is seriously adorable. I love the soft yellow and blue. What a nice cheery kitchen!

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Fishies - yes, that helps quite a bit. Our banquette seating won't be nearly as beautiful as yours - we're going a bit more utilitarian and having storage drawers under the seating and we won't have the lovely curve that you do - ours will be L-shaped.

I've been struggling with how much the high-density foam (HDF) will wind up compacting down when we sit on it, so it's hard to decide how many inches is enough. I've read that the dacron overwrap doesn't really add to the overall height when sitting - it's purpose is to make everything fit smoothly around the HDF. Hard to decide if 3" or 4" foam is the best bet...but if you think you have 3" and it's comfortable, I'm thinking that I'll go that way.

Good warning about the table. With the curve you have, it probably would be very difficult to get a standard table to work. Although we won't have the curve challenge, we're leaning toward having a table made anyway...we're hoping to do a live edge slab table - we fell in love with some that we saw at the resort we vacationed at and I've been just slightly obsessed with them ever since.

Thank you for the help. Every time I see pictures of your kitchen, it just makes me smile - your kitchen is something that I'd never have the foresight to put together, but it really is lovely and inviting. Looking forward to seeing your table when it gets finished.

• laurajane02
    10 years ago

I love how your place has come together. Would you mind sharing which etsy seller you used for the bird prints? Thanks!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Laurajane- The Etsy seller is pixie pixels.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/pixiepixels

• laurajane02
    10 years ago

Great, thanks!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I am still in awe.