Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auroraborelis

Pictures please - built-in Microwave & oven stacked on same wall

auroraborelis
11 years ago

I love the look of the Kenmore built in oven microwave combo - but I think it is extremely overpriced.

Has anyone come up with other, more affordable, solutions that include stacking their built in Microwave/Oven combo on a single wall?

Comments (39)

• andreak100
    11 years ago

Our kitchen is still in the layout phase, so we're a bit away from it becoming reality, but we decided to go with two separate units because of the cost and potential issues if the microwave went if we had an all-in-one unit. We are going with the 30" Kenmore wall oven and then we will have a concealed microwave above the oven. The door will be on hinges and push back into the top of the cabinet, somewhat similar to a garage door. We plan on using just a nice standard microwave rather than trying to make it appear to be built-in. Since the door will shut over it when not in use, there's no need to spend a bunch of money on it.

• mpg2004
    11 years ago

Please pardon the poor cell-phone picture, but here are our Jenn Air single wall oven and microwave. We went with the trim kit to make it look built in; we were replacing an all-in-one microwave and oven unit and this fit the space well.

We separated the appliances to give ourselves more flexibility (since microwaves tend to "die" earlier than ovens), however we didn't wind up with as much flexibility as I thought. We're having some issues with the microwave, but we can't switch it out for a different brand of built in microwave & trim kit without major work modifying our cabinet since they all seem to be larger than the one we got. In hindsight, I'm thinking we may have been better off with the microwave just sitting on a finished shelf above the oven.

Anyway, I hope the picture helps!

Michelle

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

From a long term practical point of view I see your point regarding putting the microwave in a separate point, but stacked like that looks fantastic! :)

• j_bird
    11 years ago

Here's our Panasonic microwave with trim kit and Electrolux wall oven. I originally had my eye on the E-lux wall oven/microwave combo, but I too thought it was way overpriced. I also worried about microwaves being more or less disposable items, so this seemed the more practical solution. Maybe not the greatest pic, but hopefully it gives you more ideas.
    -Jai

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! That does give me some ideas...

It's funny, I hadn't considered that a microwave dies before an oven, my mother had the same microwave for about 20 years, and well, I haven't lived in one place to test out anything more than 4-5 since I was a teenager!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Most of you have seen ours - but just in case

• j_bird
    11 years ago

You know, I remember my parents had the same microwave forever too. I think this is microwave number three for DH and me over the course of 12 years. Maybe they don't make them like they use to?

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

I have the electrolux microwave/oven combo. I didn't initially like the amount of black glass design that it has but now that it is installed I love it. One thing I don't like about it is that the microwave door opens down and it is difficult to reach to the back of it for cleaning. (I am 5' 3")

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini & rtwilliams - I love the setup you both have! Looks fantastic.

a2gemini - what is the make of yours, are they two separate units or one combined set?

Thanks

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

my sister's mw and convection oven.

my first mw lasted about 20 yrs. since then maybe 2-4 yrs.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Laura
    GE Advantium 240 on top- loving it! One of my first speed oven dishes Wa a corn pudding. I broke all of the rules. New oven and maiden voyage at a party and then doubled the recipe- it was perfect even after using the keep warm feature for almost an hour.

Most of the time I use the microwave feature but am babbling with other options.

Wolf E series. I was way over budget, or might have gone with next model up so could hide the display (slightly different colors but I am probably the only one who notices )

Wolf was on sale.

From iPhone- usual text errors and cryptic answers

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

desertsteph - that's the type of idea I've been considering and been having a hard time finding inspiration pictures.

a2gemini - I never would have guessed that those where two separate units - they look great!!!!

• andreak100
    11 years ago

Here are a few that I've collected and are serving as inspiration for our remodel:

[Asian Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/asian-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2102) by San Francisco Architect Mahoney Architects and Interiors

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Other Metros Kitchen And Bath Mullet Cabinet

Decided against double doors like Annie posted because, being the lazy person I am, I didn't want to need to open and roll back two doors and then open the microwave.

Decided against what is shown in the 2nd photo I attached because the door needs to remain open while it's being used and the one that just lifts up will block the upper cabinet from being accessed while the microwave is being used.

I decided that I like the "garage door" style best (style seen in 1st photo, although it's not shown above an oven) since it meant only a total of 2 doors to open (cabinet, then microwave) and that the door would be out of the way while being used. Ours will be full depth though rather than set back like the one in this photo. Also, I should note: the door needs to be inset so that it will roll away, and so the cabinet above will also be inset (to help keep a smoother transition along the top)

Also, I am planning on having a "cutting board" installed between the top of the oven and where the microwave sits so that there is a place that is handy to stir things without trying to do that while it's in the microwave and without needing needing to turn to the island with something hot.

Unfortunately, microwaves don't seem to last nearly as long as they used to. And when I was looking that the all-in-one units, the price difference between a single oven and an oven with microwave combined was very significant. Ovens are more likely to be fixed if there is a problem, whereas microwaves seem to be less likely to be fixed. I looked at other built-in options (such as an Advantium with a single oven below) and again, the price difference was just too much for me to justify it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

andreak, have you tried the door you have to lift? It looks awkward to me, especially if placed as high as it is in the inspiration photo. I'd want to try it first...looks like it requires some upper body strength.

• kashmi
    11 years ago

Using the same reasoning as AnnieD and others, we created a separate space above our oven for the MW. It's a MW/convection combo to give us a second oven when we need it.

From GardenWeb Photos

Having it's own "hole" means that when it has needed repair, it's relatively easy to pull it out and then put it back in again. Also, there are filler strips above it and on the sides, so that when it dies, we can replace it with one of a different size if need be.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the inspiration photos! It has really helped, however I still LOVE the look of the all in one unit... I think I may need to get over it and be practical.

Or do they sell 20 year extended warranties? :) he he

• sher_nc
    11 years ago

here's mine (sorry it's blurry). i didn't have alot of space & really wanted a double oven so i stacked my kitchenaid microwave over the ovens. i'm 5'5" & it's worked for me.

• andreak100
    11 years ago

AnnieD - no, I haven't seen one in real life to try it out. I can't imagine that it's going to be too heavy. Of course, maybe it will help me get some of the weight-bearing exercise I should get every day! haha

Laura12 - if the all-in-one is what you really, really LOVE, maybe that is the right choice for you in spite of the others of us who hesitate...and maybe the extended warranty would guarantee that you wouldn't have any microwave issues! :)

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just don't want to regret it later - but I just love how sleek it looks. We are designing a fairly contemporary house (actually a complete build, not a kitchen remodel) and it just seems to fit so well....

Though, I also like the examples of how some people have managed to fit in two separate units that look like a single solution. A slight bit more flexibility in the future...

• jillkristine
    11 years ago

sher_nc : That is exactly what I want to do in my kitchen. Did you have your cabinets custom done or what brand did you get that worked?

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Looks like you have lots of pictures but here is one more to add to the mix.
    {{!gwi}}

• oppsie
    11 years ago

The microwave isn't actually built in, but I tightened the opening as much as I felt comfortable with while still leaving the thing a little room to breathe. Looks much better now with actual doors on the cabinet and handles, but you get the idea...

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for keeping the pictures coming!

badgergal - I actually have that same oven in my current kitchen (we are building a new home from the ground up) and above the oven we have an induction cooktop and then a very similar microwave, but it is the type with a fan for over the range.

I was looking for a completely built in model but I couldn't find it, would you happen to know what model you have?

Thanks!

Laura

• jgopp
    11 years ago

Here is mine, sorry the photo is a bit far away. I had the cabinet maker build a trim to fit the microwave and oven in the combination seen here. Couldn't be happier.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Laura, my oven is GE # PT 916SRSS. The microwave is actually the Advantium # PSB120NSS. Thet were installed about 6 months ago and I have used all the features of both appliances and love them.
    Hope you find want you want. Good luck with your build.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks badgergal, I have the same oven (for about 3 years) and it has mostly been great, though we have had an issues 2 or 3 times with it randomly turning itself off and refusing to come back on again. If it happens to you just flip the breaker that goes to the oven and it restarts. Mine may just be a fluke, and it was a difficult thing to get repaired as they didn't really know why it happened!

That said, I still really like the oven, and I love how well that microwave goes with it... Great option.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jgopp - Yours looks great as well! I love how built in it looks.

Can you tell me the make and model of both your oven and microwave?

• jgopp
    11 years ago

Laura: the micro is from Viking and it is their "designer series" model. The oven is the Bertazzoni electric. Both are 24 inch.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, the 24 inch helps make it all work!

• jgopp
    11 years ago

Yeah, it came together really well. I have a bertazzoni range, and I wanted a matching oven, and they only make a 24. So that is just how it happened. I would have ended up with a 30 probably from any other company.

• njordan56
    8 years ago

@sher_nc was your cabinet a stock cabinet or custom built? I am trying to do the same thing in my home literally as we speak! :)

• njordan56
    8 years ago

@sher_nc im assuming if it was stock it still had to be modified. i only see the wall oven cabinets with cabinet doors above. guessing if i went the stock route those cabinet doors would come off and adjustments would be made to install the microwave. Really curious to know how you did this as it might be our solution for our kitchen. yours looks fabulous!

• richardshome
    8 years ago

@j_bird @oppsie @jgopp @kashmi @Annie Deighnaugh @desertsteph i know this is an old post but for those that went from a single microwave/oven combo to a separate microwave and oven, how did you manage with the wiring? i know the oven/microwave combo was probably hardwired with 220V with no other electrical outlets back there (at least that's how mine is). did you run a new line from a nearby existing electrical outlet to create a new electrical outlet to plug in your new countertop microwave?

• Amanda Scott
    2 years ago

@richardshome i too am wondering about that situation or set up behind the appliance. So were you able to get an answer? pls let me know

• richardshome
    2 years ago

@Amanda Scott i ended up running an outlet (oven hardwired 220V and microwave to new 120V outlet)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

We have the std power for the oven and a separate line to a power outlet at the back of the cabinet into which we plug the mw...on a different circuit of course so the mw isn't affected by the power draw from the oven if both are in use.

• kashmi
    2 years ago

We did the same as AnnieD -- different circuits. Also the microwave circuit is on the whole house generator panel, while the regular oven is not. We could live without the oven even for several days but would want the microwave and cooktop to work in that scenario. (We live in a rather rural area, so are last to get power restored after a bad storm.)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

kashmi, same here...generator operates the MW but not the ovens.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!