Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paper Towels--To Those With Built In Holders

Posted by 2LittleFishies (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 20:53

For those that have these.... do you still like them? Is it an issue with dirty/wet hands grabbing the towels (dirtying cabs and/or getting them wet)??

Would you do it again?

beagles I think?-
7298366750_7273ed9402

fx78td

Cabinetry13PaperTowelHolder

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paper Towels--To Those With Built In Holders

Yup, the first picture is mine. We have only lived here for a bit over a month but so far I LOVE the paper towel holders at both sinks in the kitchen. LOVE LOVE LOVE. When I am washing my hands at the dog sink, I find myself desperately wishing there had been room to fit one in there too (I have a on-the-counter holder there but it is way less convenient than just reaching down and grabbing).

I have not had any issue w/ getting the cabinets wet or dirty b/c the paper towel niche is large and it is very easy to just grab a towel when I want one (the roll rolls very easily).

o

Only picture I seem to have of ours; we keep our cutting boards on the lower part and plan on tiling the inside of this open, narrow cabinet. Really like it. Have one here and also right above my baking area (mounted under upper cabinets). Need both. That said, did order a lot of microfiber cleaning towels and am trying to do my cleaning/wipedowns using these vs. paper towels.

o

I love mine. I would absolutely do it again. It's one of my favorite things in the new kitchen. It's over the trash bin next to the sink. No drips that I notice. I have a small kitchen with limited storage and I had to give up a drawer to get it, and it was entirely worth it.

That said, it doesn't work perfectly. It consists of a hardware store metal spring-type holder screwed into the back of the cubby. I didn't have much choice because of space constraints. If you don't pull correctly, the whole roll can fly out. It is a little difficult to replace the roll because it's tight on the sides. I don't care. If you have more space and use a sturdier holder like Simple Human or a dowel system, it should work perfectly.

This is what mine looked like before the counter went on. In practice, it works better for us to have to towels come off the top instead of underneath as shown here.

paper towel cubby

o

Ginny- glad you brought up the mechanism!! What kind are the rest of you using? : )

Thanks so much!

o

It would be interesting to try to capture that space behind the holder by putting the whole thing on sturdy drawer glides. Would make changing rolls easier, too. You'd need some kind of latching system so the drawer wouldn't come flying out every time you take a towel.

o

Marcolo,that's a good idea. My plan was to hide the roll somehow under the top cabinets instead of fishing them out from under the counter. Plus, how does one stop the entire roll from spooling out onto the floor when you give it a yank to rip one towel off the roll? I mean, are these truly one-handed operations?

o

rmtdoug brings up a good point. Are there such built in paper towel holders that would go in the upper cabinet above the sink? Any photos?

o

I love mine and also love the it's under the counter and out of sight. Ours is the same depth as the other base cabs with a tray cab underneath. Because it's so deep, it's a great place to store extra rolls behind current roll. I didn't specify mechanism, so my cab maker made it with dowels. The first few days, we found that if we yanked too hard or even gently push back on it, the roll would actually fly back and off the 2 side recessed holders. Affixing 2 small rubber bumper tabs alleviated the problem and all it takes is a bit more push to slide a new roll into place.

No major issues with water drops, though there sometimes are a few drops of water as one would expect. It hasn't bothered me the least bit and a quick wipe (with the towel just pulled or with my kitchen towel) takes care of it. But I've never had any issues in the last 3+months of use with water pooling or dripping or other major annoyances like that.

Only suggestion I would make is to consider some sort of arm along with the mechanism that would prevent roll from turning too much and allow for 1-handed tear of the paper. I can do it with mine, but that's due to experience and most of the time, it appears to be a 2-handed deal.

Here are some photos:

you can see the small rubber tab I stuck on each side of the holder here
Untitled

Untitled

o

I wonder if you used a dowel that was in tracks or holes on the sides of the cubby - I think that's what beagles has - then could you just keep the space behind open, and use it, as rmtdoug says, to store other rolls of towels or anything else? You'd have to have a way to keep them from rolling into the roll in use, though, and you'd have to have a way to get them out easily.

marcolo's drawer idea is great. I bet in a few years that's what these cubbies will be like.

But to answer the one-handed question, usually I can get a towel with one swift but not-too-hard tug. Sometimes I use two hands. Rarely, the roll goes skittering across the floor. I suspect that beagles' dowel provides a one-handed operation.

o

I have a dowel w/ a spring in it that fits into holes in the side of the cabinet. I have one-handed operation. I have enough storage that I wasn't concerned about what is behind the cubby but I suppose it would have been possible to have the cubby roll forward. You'd have to have some way to pull the cubby out. .

o

Thanks for all your thoughts! Keep any ideas coming : )

o

beagles- How wide is your cab in order to have the paper holder and the space for cloth towels?

o

We put a spot for the paper towel holder and now we are having trouble finding a paper towel sized dowel with a spring in it! I would love to hear where you got yours beagles!!

o

2LittleFishies it is 24 inches wide.
graceshan, I didn't do it, the cabinet makers did. They just bought a regular dowel rod, cut it down to size and added a spring.

o

if you had sides 'holders' like dragonfly but with the slot angling toward the top would it be less likely to slide off?

o

Is there a reason you can't store extra rolls behind the one being used?

o

Can this fit in a 12" wide cab?

o

Beagles, how deep is your paper towel cabinet? Can you share some detailed pics of how to do the spring and dowel? Your one-handed tear paper towel cubby sounds ideal!

o

deedles, I don't think 12" will allow enough clearance on the sides. 12" is the outside measurement of the cab, right? So the space inside probably won't be big enough.

o

michoumonster I am out of town for 3 weeks, so I can't measure or take pictures. When I get back home, I will take them and measure.

o

I removed a trash compactor from a cabinet space and put in a paper towel holder and cabinet below. We think it is working out great. The kitchen doesn't have a lot of counter space and we use are glad we didi what we did. If we sell one day it would be easy to add a drawer in it's place. At least that is what the cabinet maker told me who built the paper towel holder and cabinet. He thought it was a neat idea and had not seen one. I am glad I saw the idea here on GW.

o

For those who have one, what is the width of your cabinet?

Kathe

o

Timely thread, thank you. I have one built into my design (yes, I'm a copy cat beagles :-). I need to find out how to post the final design I received this week.

o

My cab is 15". The opening containing my holder is 12".

o

let me know what you think of this paper towel holder idea!-- what if you use a slide that is attached to a piece of wood, attached to a paper towel holder in your cubby, so you can slide it in and out to change out the roll? havent thought through all the details just yet, but any idea why this won't work?

o

oh, i just read through the thread and saw that marcolo has thought of this too! Marcolo, would love to see how you implement it the towel holder. thanks!

o

Hello All! I Just came back to this thread to get some hints on how I can get our paper towel roll to not roll so much that too many towels come out. I think beagles has a spring and I'd love a pic. My cabinetmaker isn't aware of any 3rd party solutions for this.

He DID, however, do what I think marcolo mentioned above. I didn't really ask him to specifically although I did tell him I wanted to try to store towels behind it... It's quite tight to pull out (which is good) so perhaps he made it so the glides are not as smooth here?

Photo on 12-11-12 at 11.37 PM

Photo on 12-11-12 at 11.38 PM

Photo on 12-11-12 at 11.38 PM #3

Photo on 12-11-12 at 11.39 PM

Photo on 12-11-12 at 11.50 PM

Pretty Cool! NOW, if I could just get the dowel to roll more slowly or figure out the spring thing!

o

Try squashing the roll a little to make the central core somewhat less round. Try that first on a half-used or more roll in case it doesn't work! But I think it will, as that's what I do in my milk house, where the paper towel roll is just on a long dowel. So annoying when a quick tug brings out a streamer.

Let us know how it works! Also you may want to install some barrier in front of the back-stock rolls to keep them in place. It could be something as simple as a short spring loaded curtain rod.

I love this idea with either extra rolls ehind, or as the storage position for cloth towels. I'm trying to make less and less use of paper towels, but sometimes that's what's needed (10 indoor cats means a fair amount of hairballs, sorry if that's TMI!) Can you store more than two rolls behind the active one?

L.

o

Love your paper towel holder, 2LittleFishies.

For a quick -- and reversible -- fix could you just introduce some friction to the ends of the dowels by putting a thick rubber band around each end, just wrapping it as if it's a pony tail?

o

liriodendon- I can fit three.

The only thing I'd say is that I can't fit the super size paper towel rolls in my holder. DH usually gets the ones at Costco and they are just way too fat.

I'll try some ways to slow down the roll. The flattening of the roll isn't doing much.

o

Two things to try:

First, try to prevent the dowel from spinning. Hold it with your hand, and pull. Now the cardboard should be spinning around the dowel, but the dowel should be stationary. If that helps, it should be easy for him to install bolt or some other gizmo to keep it from spinning while you're using it.

Second, apply friction to the sides of the paper towel. Stick in a book, a scrap of wood, something to slow down the spinning. Again, if that works, he should easily be able to build out the sides of the compartment with small pieces of painted wood.

o

I just purchased a regular wooden paper towel holder and used the spring-loaded dowel that comes with it and drilled small holes in the sides of the wood to hold it. Works like a charm and you can store several rolls of large paper towels behind it too. The only thing I have to worry about is my 11 month old who loves to start unrolling it!!

o

Has anyone installed one of these papertowel holders based on semi-custom cabinets (ie not custom made by a cabinet maker). Seems like you could do something to modify a semi-custom cabinet?

Let me know. I'm designing the kitchen but I'm using cabinets from a company, not a custom cabinet maker.

o

graceshan - Harry is getting so big! I loved my boys at that age - so snuggly and cuddly! he's such a cutie pie!

o

I know! I can't believe he is turning 1 next week. Here is a photo we had taken a couple days ago... such a big boy now :) Getting into everything and unwrapping Christmas presents, but very cuddly and such a good boy!

o

In our 12" wide trash pullout cab, I'm thinking of just sliding the roll in lengthwise. When I want to use the towel roll, I'll pull the whole thing out and put it away when I'm done. Maybe I'll have the door cover the towel cubby or maybe leave it exposed. Not sure on that yet. This dowel thing seems to be more work than it's worth, unless someone comes up with a fix for the spinning towel issue. Has anyone tried an old fashioned spring type towel holder?

o

graceshan - i love it! those blue eyes are gorgeous!

(sorry for hijacking the paper towel conversation, but who can resist pics of this little guy?? :)

o

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to update. You can see my original set up above. The dowel was allowing paper towels to roll out too quickly. For a while I had a paper back book wedged in between the towels and the wood so it would pull slower. The other issue is that often even if you grabbed a towel quickly and they didn't roll out passed the cabinetry it would unroll a bit in the cubby.

Anyway, I instead bought one of those Perfect Tear Holders from Amazon. I also have the vertical one many of you also own that just sits on the counter and it allows you to tear off one piece. It clicks each time you pull it.

I had my cabinetmaker redo the cubby, removing the dowel system and using this instead. He had to take the towel holder apart somehow to make it work and fit in the space correctly so that the roll wouldn't sit too high or too low. I LOVE IT! This works MUCH better. For any of you doing a paper towel holder I'd recommend using one of these- or something similar- as you'll get better results : )

BEFORE:
Photo on 12-11-12 at 11.38 PM photo file-113.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_1877 photo file-121.jpg

IMG_1878 photo file-122.jpg

IMG_1879 photo file-123.jpg

IMG_1880 photo file-124.jpg

Here is the holder beforehand:
612SrXXm6OS._SL1500_ photo file-125.jpg

Here is the product on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029QOW2/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00

o

Fishies - that is very clever and nice to hear you cabinet guy is also willing to work with you. .. Now how about that reveal.. you can do a 95% one also ..:) Please don't be a tease..

o

All in good time, my Pretty, All in good time.....

lol

o

Hurry up or I'll throw a bucket of water on you.

I can't believe you posted this now. I just spent about 40 minutes TODAY with my architect discussing my paper towel holder....

Your post helps a lot. How long is that rod, though? I want the box pretty tight against the roll.

Unfortunately, it doesn't solve my main problem. I'm doing one PT holder on the island for sure, and your post will help with that. But I'm not sure about the one by the main sink. It might look too mod in a vintage kitchen. My architect was sketching out a version where the paper feeds through a slot in a drawer front when we started laughing uncontrollably.

o

marcolo- HA! It's good we can laugh at ourselves! At least someone will HAVE that conversation with you. People around here would have me committed. Thank God I could have those types of convos on GW!

The rod the way it is now is 12" and the opening is 15". I hope you solve all of your problems!

Under the prep sink we used our existing paper towel holder and the cab guy screwed into into the pullout.

IMG_1890 photo file-126.jpg

o

Fishies!
I was thinking strongly of retrofitting my 24" cabinet drawer as a paper towel holder.
Then, hiding the PTs recently, I realized they fit just fine on the inside of my lazy Susan. I push it with my foot and there it is! I'm thinking, if I get that thing you have above and stick it in my LS, I could have the best of both worlds.

I can't have this conversation anywhere else in the world. People say, "Why don't you get that thing that you attach under your upper cabinets? They make them in nice white plastic, you know?"

[sticking fork in my eye] "Yes, I know. I don't want it out on display."
"Oh," they say, "I see."
NO THEY DON'T!!!!!!

But you, my friends, YOU! Thank you.
[running off to measure....]

o

what great timing! This came up in my meeting with my cab guy on Tuesday. I'm printing this entire post to give to him!!!

o

For Marcolo:Vintage bucket painted in BM Barley

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

This post was edited by GWlolo on Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 6:08

o

Love that bucket- now PT questions for my bathroom but same idea
Fishies- great solution! But we do want pictures!
Has anyone used the big rolls in the towel holder?
How about a flip down drawer front?- think cutting board or keyboard drawer
What are the dimensions of your towel slot?
Thanks!

o

Ha!!! Love the bucket!!

My towel opening is 15" x 5" high. Inside the space is higher but with a really thick roll you can't close the pullout.

o

I simply do not get the paper towels in a drawer/pullout concept. When I need one, I do not want to open a drawer and bend down. But then again, I do tend to keep things out on the countertops.

o

My niece lives in Northern California and when we visit she won't let anyone use paper towels or napkins. ....I feel like some sort of criminal for tearing off a pt to wipe something up that I feel is too nasty to use a cloth on. Her house is full of environmental rules. A reason I don't often visit. WE don't use paper towels, WE don't do this that or the other thing. The next time I go I will bring my own roll...
signed:
Southern girl..I guess I am too stupid to know how real people live...

P.S. when I saw your built in I wonder if in the future paper towels will be outlawed and considered contraband and there you are left with a built in, lol, just kidding!!! But if they start doing house checks, yikes!!! How to explain?

o

gr8day - ha!

Here's an updated shot of our island one. This is to the right of the prep sink. Note the three pullouts (trash + 2 recycling) below the sink (no room for cutting boards, hadn't thought that one through). So... converted the open cabinet with shelves to a tiled cutting board cabinet.

o

Clever retrofit, oldbat2be. It's pretty, too.

o

Here is my papertowel holder I absolutely loved it! Definitely will always do this as I don't like too much out on my counters.

o

oldbat2be- I love that tiled nook! So pretty and practical. I wish I had a better spot for cutting board storage. I didn't forget about it but just couldn't come up with something where I didn't lose some other space I really needed.

Great idea! My trash is underneath so I can't do that, but it's really cool : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here