Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Paper Towels--To Those With Built In Holders

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

For those that have these.... do you still like them? Is it an issue with dirty/wet hands grabbing the towels (dirtying cabs and/or getting them wet)??

Would you do it again?

beagles I think?-

Comments (87)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to update. You can see my original set up above. The dowel was allowing paper towels to roll out too quickly. For a while I had a paper back book wedged in between the towels and the wood so it would pull slower. The other issue is that often even if you grabbed a towel quickly and they didn't roll out passed the cabinetry it would unroll a bit in the cubby.

Anyway, I instead bought one of those Perfect Tear Holders from Amazon. I also have the vertical one many of you also own that just sits on the counter and it allows you to tear off one piece. It clicks each time you pull it.

I had my cabinetmaker redo the cubby, removing the dowel system and using this instead. He had to take the towel holder apart somehow to make it work and fit in the space correctly so that the roll wouldn't sit too high or too low. I LOVE IT! This works MUCH better. For any of you doing a paper towel holder I'd recommend using one of these- or something similar- as you'll get better results : )

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Here is the holder beforehand:

Here is the product on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029QOW2/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Fishies - that is very clever and nice to hear you cabinet guy is also willing to work with you. .. Now how about that reveal.. you can do a 95% one also ..:) Please don't be a tease..

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All in good time, my Pretty, All in good time.....

lol

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Hurry up or I'll throw a bucket of water on you.

I can't believe you posted this now. I just spent about 40 minutes TODAY with my architect discussing my paper towel holder....

Your post helps a lot. How long is that rod, though? I want the box pretty tight against the roll.

Unfortunately, it doesn't solve my main problem. I'm doing one PT holder on the island for sure, and your post will help with that. But I'm not sure about the one by the main sink. It might look too mod in a vintage kitchen. My architect was sketching out a version where the paper feeds through a slot in a drawer front when we started laughing uncontrollably.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

marcolo- HA! It's good we can laugh at ourselves! At least someone will HAVE that conversation with you. People around here would have me committed. Thank God I could have those types of convos on GW!

The rod the way it is now is 12" and the opening is 15". I hope you solve all of your problems!

Under the prep sink we used our existing paper towel holder and the cab guy screwed into into the pullout.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Fishies!
    I was thinking strongly of retrofitting my 24" cabinet drawer as a paper towel holder.
    Then, hiding the PTs recently, I realized they fit just fine on the inside of my lazy Susan. I push it with my foot and there it is! I'm thinking, if I get that thing you have above and stick it in my LS, I could have the best of both worlds.

I can't have this conversation anywhere else in the world. People say, "Why don't you get that thing that you attach under your upper cabinets? They make them in nice white plastic, you know?"

[sticking fork in my eye] "Yes, I know. I don't want it out on display."
    "Oh," they say, "I see."
    NO THEY DON'T!!!!!!

But you, my friends, YOU! Thank you.
    [running off to measure....]

• Terri
    11 years ago

what great timing! This came up in my meeting with my cab guy on Tuesday. I'm printing this entire post to give to him!!!

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

For Marcolo:Vintage bucket painted in BM Barley

This post was edited by GWlolo on Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 6:08

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Love that bucket- now PT questions for my bathroom but same idea
    Fishies- great solution! But we do want pictures!
    Has anyone used the big rolls in the towel holder?
    How about a flip down drawer front?- think cutting board or keyboard drawer
    What are the dimensions of your towel slot?
    Thanks!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha!!! Love the bucket!!

My towel opening is 15" x 5" high. Inside the space is higher but with a really thick roll you can't close the pullout.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

I simply do not get the paper towels in a drawer/pullout concept. When I need one, I do not want to open a drawer and bend down. But then again, I do tend to keep things out on the countertops.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

My niece lives in Northern California and when we visit she won't let anyone use paper towels or napkins. ....I feel like some sort of criminal for tearing off a pt to wipe something up that I feel is too nasty to use a cloth on. Her house is full of environmental rules. A reason I don't often visit. WE don't use paper towels, WE don't do this that or the other thing. The next time I go I will bring my own roll...
    signed:
    Southern girl..I guess I am too stupid to know how real people live...

P.S. when I saw your built in I wonder if in the future paper towels will be outlawed and considered contraband and there you are left with a built in, lol, just kidding!!! But if they start doing house checks, yikes!!! How to explain?

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

gr8day - ha!

Here's an updated shot of our island one. This is to the right of the prep sink. Note the three pullouts (trash + 2 recycling) below the sink (no room for cutting boards, hadn't thought that one through). So... converted the open cabinet with shelves to a tiled cutting board cabinet.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Clever retrofit, oldbat2be. It's pretty, too.

• firstmmo
    11 years ago

Here is my papertowel holder I absolutely loved it! Definitely will always do this as I don't like too much out on my counters.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oldbat2be- I love that tiled nook! So pretty and practical. I wish I had a better spot for cutting board storage. I didn't forget about it but just couldn't come up with something where I didn't lose some other space I really needed.

Great idea! My trash is underneath so I can't do that, but it's really cool : )

• Carrie_P
    9 years ago

How tall does the opening need to be to accommodate a super size roll? We're adding this to our kitchen layout. Thanks!

• graceshan
    9 years ago

Ours is 6" tall. I suppose you could measure your jumbo paper towels to be sure :)

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

For firsthouse_mp : Could you please share where you bought your paper towel holder from? It looks so easy to use. I googled but couldn't find a similar one.

Many thanks.

• kathec
    9 years ago

The towel holder 2littlefishies posted is by Kamenstein. It's called The Perfect Tear Paper Towel Holder, Horizontal on Amazon for $14.99.

• Kristine Ho
    9 years ago

how tall does the opening need to be? I have a trash cabinet that is 16" wide and the drawer above is 10and 2/3" tall. Do you think it will fit?

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Kristine, mine (same as posted) fit in the top drawer of a 3-drawer stack. It's 19" wide.

• rfrank1031
    7 years ago

I am opening up this conversation again, because I am in the process of finalizing my cabinets and having a bear of time trying to get my cabinet maker to install this in our island. Our cabinets are flush overlay (not inset) and he is saying that creates a problem with designing this. I'm not sure why he can't create a roll out as pictured above, but he doesn't seem to want to. Any paper towel holders out there with overlay cabinets underneath?

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

omg, 2fishes! I love that towel holder!

I have one of these:

It drives me crazy because my wife refuses to put the top on and when I go to pull towels with one hand, it pulls the entire thing off the counter. I also hate storing the towels so that thing you have is awesome.

Adding it to my list for the cabinet makers! lol

I steal from all your kitchens and not ashamed to admit it.. muahahaha

lol.. just saw this was an old thread.. heh.. thanks for opening it up!

R

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

Oh, that is pretty darn cool too. I can get rid of the trash bag box and load those rolls in there too.

R

• beenzmail
    7 years ago

Yes, the box didn't fit, but 2 rolls of paper towel and the trash bags do.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I have dreamt of putting this in next to my cleanup sink on the island, but now am wondering if I'm better off having this or having the silverware drawer on the island. Sigh, such first world decisions.

• amyfgib
    7 years ago

rfrank, can you just show the cabinetmaker this thread? At least 4 of these are overlay cabs...

• mom2sulu
    7 years ago

Here is mine--on the right corner of my island. We positioned it vertically to work it in. I would definitely do it again; I love it!

• gr8daygw
    7 years ago

Well that's pretty neat : ) I like the vertical. That would be an easy after market thing to do in a small cabinet. We have a small filler cabinet beside our refrigerator similar in size. Thanks for sharing!

• summery
    7 years ago

mom2sulu - that's neat! Can you share how you did it? And what's in the little cupboard beneath?

• mom2sulu
    7 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, summery and gr8daygw! I will pass them along to my carpenter since it is his invention. :)

Here are a few more pictures. It has a lever that slides and the dowel comes down. Then you just put in a roll and bring the dowel back up. As you can see, I can fit additional rolls in the cabinet underneath. It holds 3 extra at a time. Hope that helps! :)

• sjhockeyfan325
    7 years ago

Genius!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Brilliant!

• AnnKH
    7 years ago

mom2sulu, that is so clever!

• mom2sulu
    7 years ago

I will pass the compliments on to my carpenter--thanks!

It really is nice to have the paper towels off the countertop; I was glad we were able to fit it in.

• redfoxco
    7 years ago

beenzmail -- I'm trying to replicate your paper towel drawer over a trash pullout. Does your drawer extend fully or does it use shorter drawer glides than your other drawers? Is your face frame opening about 5" tall? Any issues with fitting rolls through? I'm finding that the devil is in the details... ;-)

There are so many great ideas in this post. Thanks for sharing, everyone!

• letabez
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

2LittleFishies, Please update your account to accept third party viewing.

• M
    6 years ago

@letabez, it's a money grab by PhotoBucket. They recently changed their site and they are trying to extort $400/year for the ability to link to photos. This is particularly painful for sites like Gardenweb, where it breaks old archived contributions.

• Buehl
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I started a thread about it and am asking for suggestions for other photo hosting sites. Photobucket's new policy - which does NOT include grandfathering in those photos posted when it was allowed - is hurting Kitchens very, very hard!

Not only can you not see the photos in the threads, but if you try to go directly to the photos on PB with a URL, you still cannot see the pictures.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4758702/major-loss-of-pictures-on-kitchens-time-to-ditch-photobucket

• Kat Erwin
    3 years ago

We are remodeling with a new kitchen addition. I have been looking at paper towel drawers. I thought maybe a vertical holder would better suit our space. This is nice and I like the area underneath to store extra rolls of paper towels. Also, I see the drawers most often above a pull out trash bin. I don't like that combination. What are the dimensions of the holder and cabinet below?

• sharonsorkin
    3 years ago

For those of you that have done a built in paper towel, what is the size of the opening?

• mom2sulu
    3 years ago

12H x 7.5W x 6D

• fitfor94
    2 years ago

Thank you so much for this thread! I'm designing my kitchen now, and this was really helpful for my architect. In my last kitchen, I had the metal PT standup holder sitting on my island and always hated it sitting out there.

• rr4580
    last year

@2LittleFishies @beenzmail and for those of you who have the paper towel holder right above a trash pull out. My question is - are your trash cans full size 13 gallon kitchen trash cans?

My builder says if I mount the paper towels in the drawer above the trash pull out, the cans will need to be smaller. Would love some measurements if possible!

Thanks!!!

• ginny20
    last year

@rr4580 Mine is a full size trash pull-out, 13 gallon can, with paper towel above. The opening for the towel holder is 5.5 x 12. The problem I found is that paper towel rolls have grown in diameter since 2011, so they no longer will go in my holder until they have been partly used. But my holder was very rudimentary, it's one of those metal springy paper towel holders, installed sideways in a recess that would have been a drawer. A better design like firstmmo's could allow a modern roll. There are about two inches from the top of the garbage can to the top of the pull out cabinet face, so you could definitely get another inch there if you are doing custom cabinets.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    last year

Hi! mine is full size!

• rr4580
    last year

@ginny20 @2LittleFishies I would love to see final photos of what you have to see how it worked visually!
    Thanks for the description!!! The answer I wanted!

• rr4580
    last year

Edit- I have the pics of @2LittleFishies but I don’t see @ginny20
    Thank you!