Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Contractor made a major error.

Posted by Marion13 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 20:47

My kitchen is finally finished and looks great because of all my research and Gardenweb's help. However, I am upset because my GC told me at the end of the job when he was install the garbage disposal that it would'nt fit with my 10inch deep sink. The truth is he forgot when the kitchen was gutted to place the pipes so it would fit. Now he says its a huge job to make it work and would involved take the walls and ceiling apart. I am so mad. I had a disposal in my old kitchen and wanted it in my new kitchen as I used it all the time. What would you do???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Contractor made a major error.

When I was shopping for a garbage disposal I noticed that they make a compact model- maybe that would fit without too much trouble. It was an in-sinkerator but I can't remember the exact name. Can you get a "second opinion" from a local plumber or something? It shouldn't be such an ordeal to add a garbage disposal. It sounds like he is trying to scare you to get out of doing it. I definitely wouldn't just let it go.

o

We have an insinkerator evolution compact. It takes up less room. Why in the world would you have to take apart walls and the ceiling to install a disposal?

o

I don't understand why the ceiling would have to be touched. Did he know that your sink was that deep?

Is there a different model of GD that will fit?

o

It shouldn't be that big of a deal, unless I really misunderstood what I've read along the way.

The back of the cabinet would have to be cut to access the wall. The wall would have to be cut to access the pipe. The pipe would have to be changed to the right height. Then patch wall. Not sure if the cabinet can be patched or not, but it won't really be visible.

I'm sure it's not an easy space to work in, which is probably more the issue.

I'd ask him what dimensions, if any, would work. Then if you can find one that you like that fits, problem solved. If you can't find one that fits and you like, I think it's on him to make the plumbing right if he knew you wanted a GD and had a 10 inch sink. If he was not aware of either of those things, whoever should have told him shoukd share the cost.

o

Marion13 - your other threads already had helpful responses. Why do you keep re-posting, but not responding on any of these other threads?

Thread about Disposals with Deep Sink

Thread about Disposals with a Deep Sink

Thread about Disposals with a Deep Sink

Thread that Contractor Screwed Up

This post was edited by akchicago on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 8:27

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here