Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinker1121

Update of 80's country kitchen finally complete!!

tinker1121
9 years ago

Some of you may remember back in the winter when I got the bright idea to take down my 80's wallpaper and "get a new floor and laminate countertops" to update my country kitchen. It has been a long road and a huge learning experience.

I TOTALLY underestimated how difficult this would be, blending the old with the new. I kept my 20 year old Kraftmaid oak cabinets and oak wainscot as both in great shape. We replaced the counters, backsplash, floor, lighting, appliances and chairs.

This is a modest house , 100 years old, small at 1100 square feet and a "twin" style meaning it is literally a half of house with a common wall to the neighbor and windows only on one side.

We used the carpenter who put in the original cabinets and formica counters and he pulled a fast one and built counters using an old saw blade and all the edges looked chipped. He thought we wouldn't notice and installed them. We are out $1000 for materials and labor charges we paid him and started over, next time with granite as it just seemed easier. I am happy to have it and plan on taking him to small claims court.

Here is the before and the after will follow as I don't know how to post more than one picture.

This post was edited by tinker1121 on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 21:32

Comments (94)

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is another pic of the wall with the art. Too small? Too high? Ok?

• westsider40
    9 years ago

That is one wonderful kitchen. You are an inspiration to us and to anyone who loves kitchens. Great job. Warm room. Homey home. Fun to be in. Enjoy.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

How about some yellow-green plates next to the art work?

Or this:

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure I want to get too busy on the wall but the first set of bird plates are very nice. Still may try something larger and that may be what I feel is off.

Thanks to the Command picture strips I can keep moving things around with no holes or damage.

• User
    9 years ago

I love it! And I agree that the first set of bird prints look like they should join your lovely kitchen.
    Seriously, great job! and I am totally on the bandwagon of updating if at all possible when you have great usable "stuff" (as in your table and cabinets).

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Tinker, your kitchen looks great! Congratulations! Such pretty granite and tile. It's funny how not using laminate or keeping the sink turned out to be the right decision.

I am going to admonish you to hem your curtains up. I wouldn't have said anything but I noticed that the old curtains hung low also, and I figure if you are able to remove wallpaper you should not lacking in gumption or do-it-ness. The window will be so much more cute and lighter and brighter.

What's the neat-o turned, wooden container on the counter in the corner?

How are the floor tiles? I am fascinated by grouted vinyl tiles (there was a g-webber a few years ago that installed them.) So you get the look of tile without the hardness underfoot? Ingenious, I think.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The container is a ceramic pear from Wayfair. Leaf is painted a pretty bronze and needed something for that dead corner as not going to get a canister set to keep the counters more open. It comes in a smaller size as well.

I do appreciate all advice and not sure how short that curtain could be. Two inches shorter and it will be right at the window sill and is that what you refer to for making it appear lighter? I am not set on that tier and have ordered a few different types of blinds from JC Penney (cordless cellular and 2" wooden slat blinds) to see how it works using a blind and just a top fabric valance. We are very close to the house next door and need privacy covering at night and the tier does work out for that.

As for the floor, the tiles are the same concept as Congoleum's Duraceramic and Armstrong's Alterna vinyl tiles. Creates the best of both worlds when you grout the tile and softer feel, easy to install and remove and for our old house safer to use on uneven surface. He did apply a leveling substance first, then glue tiles, then grout. These are Shaw Array Resort tiles and 100% vinyl, he was able to heat them up and bend in an area of a slight slope in the doorway and they are guaranteed for 25 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Imax pear

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

dsWow - great job on re-using your cabinets and updating the kitchen!
    I love your new counters and your JC backsplash.
    Your art is so cute - is it 3D or is it just an illusion?

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. Art is a stretched canvas on a frame and not 3d.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Duplicate post

This post was edited by tinker1121 on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 18:18

• countryatheart
    9 years ago

Tinker- I was quietly watching the process you went through to update your kitchen. The end results look absolutely great. Your kitchen will be an inspiration to many others checking these threads. Enjoy your new kitchen!

• iroll_gw
    9 years ago

What a great update to a homey kitchen! Love the tile, the granite, the sink, faucet, all lovely choices. It's great to see something besides stainless appliances,as as well.
    Kitchens of any budget should always be revealed, it is a great help to those just dipping their toe into a reno. Houzz can be intimidating.
    By the way, I saw these curtains on Etsy, they'd look great in your kitchen, especially with those first bird plates:

Here is a link that might be useful: Waverly Pom Pom Play Confetti Cafe Curtains

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Your home is sooo cozy. Makes one want to sit and stay, it's comfy. Love it.

What is in the back of leaded panels? Is that the antique lace? Whatever it is, it's gorgeous!

Unless extenuating circumstances, a stained glass pro should have been able to use a wire brush to clean the lead, re-apply fresh patina (brass color patina exists for a color change), remove excess, buff, and polish, IMHO as prior obsessed hobbyist in glass.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The compliments mean a lot. This project was very hard to pull off.

I went to Pier One to check out the bird plates and they are only 8". How could they be hung?

Those Waverly curtains on Etsy are really cute!

The glass panels in the cabinet above the sink are made from wavy glass and the light reflection on them makes them appear more detailed than they really are. There is nothing behind them and I have my glassware in the cabinet. (Antique Lace is the color of the Jeffrey Court backsplash tile).

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Great job Tinker! I was thinking about you a few weeks ago & wondering if I missed your reveal. It turned out fantastic. Worth all of the tough times you had. Time to enjoy!

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Your tile and stone are gorgeous. It looks so warm and welcoming.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Nice update to your kitchen! I love the absolute-cream granite counters and the Backsplash-Jeffrey Court beveled 3 x 6 subway tile you used! Everything came together so nicely giving a fresh updated look with new appliances and your new beautiful faucet! I also like your new floors. Such a warm kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Hanging plates on walls, see below. The easiest is with disc hangers, but there are other options. Dollar store frequently has those metal clip thingies..

Here is a link that might be useful: [Secret to hanging plates[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/diy-the-secret-to-hanging-a-plate-collection-stsetivw-vs~229054)

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for you kind words.

Nosoccermom, that is a great article and those hooks really cool.

My daughter came over for dinner and agrees the branch art is too small and looks undersized. Tier of that curtain also has to go. lol

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

But the main part of your lovely renovation/refresh is done. Now you're just tinkering :)
    This is off topic, but I love your thread so much more than a kitchen gut-job.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 21:28

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope it gives others the incentive to know that all projects are important and they feel proud to post the results of their efforts no matter how modest the project.

It is finally fun for me too.

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Wow, tinker, congrats on an outstanding remodel--A+++ job. I love all your selections, especially the granite and backsplash. Your selections do justice to your lovely KM cabinets and the traditional style of your home. I agree with other posters that your kitchen looks warm and welcoming, not just beautiful. In the photos the glass and blackened caning look very nice. Good luck on ironing out that "wrinkle." Nice job on the accessories as well. Your reveal should be a great help to other owners of nice oak cabinets.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Am thinking your very first bird pic (that you loved so much) would look good. Can you photoshop it in?

• romy718
    9 years ago

I love that pic. I think your wall could handle the bigger size. Depending on how easy it is to purchase & return, if it doesn't work.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Great job, it looks like a place you can really feel comfortable in which is something that so many kitchens lack. You're doing it right.
    As to the art I do think that you could go bigger, if you can easily return items then no harm in getting it and trying it out then you can stop questioning it.
    I really like the beveled subway tile, and the counter, perfect together.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

romy718, this 36 x 16 picture with the bird cage has to go back. Ordered it online and will be expensive to return. Next size is 48 x 24 which seems huge and not sure I would like a canvas that large and I cut a piece of cardboard that size and it does look big. I do love that art though as so unique, the black pops and the green pears a nice bright accent to work off of.
    I could return this 36 x 16 canvas for a print in that size or the larger and have it put in a black frame. A mat could make the smaller one a bit larger but framed piece would be expensive and would like to choose the frame, mat color IRL.
    Any and all input suggestions. You all assisted back at the beginning and I actually stopped posting until I got a real direction going.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mdln, I really did love that huge wooden bird art from Pier One but really think it is too large and too much wood and not even available anymore. Very heavy and would have been hard to handle as well.

I don't know how to photoshop or I would as we all remember how much I loved that picture and was attempting to use is as my inspiration, even before I picked out the laminate before this granite.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Had to share my latest find. Hated that tier curtain and ordered these 2" wooden blinds in a "distressed" finish in antique white. They are more than perfect in the styling and the color! More of a cream with greenish undertones and looks great IRL with the wall color, floor and granite.

Just have to get the wall art finished and that will be it. Boy, what will I do now. This was almost a 24/7 obsession since January! lol

This post was edited by tinker1121 on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 19:36

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up of finish.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

How did I miss this?

Tinker, it looks fantastic! I know the process was long and hard, but you really pulled it off.

Could you frame the art piece? A black or dark gray frame would set it off, and add to the size.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Annlh.
    I have ordered the print in same size and will have it framed and will return the canvas as I too think it will be an improvement.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Tinker, I'm sorry to be so late in finding this reveal thread, as I enjoyed following your previous threads. It looks wonderful, and you have truly earned the sense of satisfaction you must have. I love the backsplash, granite, sink, floor, and special touches. I knew you'd get there!

I agree with the others who have posted that threads and reveals like this one are wonderful inspiration for those who will not be doing a complete gut job on their kitchen. Your plan to update and save your very nice cabinets is just as important a contribution to the kitchen forum as the plans involving ripping everything back to the studs, I think. I'm so glad you have posted here.

To be honest, I think others with oak cabinets will be helped by your threads for a long time, because you were so willing to be open in your thought process. It's not an easy progression; thanks for being willing to let everyone journey along with you! It looks wonderful (clapping madly here.)

• gothaml
    9 years ago

What a fabulous job! Really, really nice, welcoming updated kitchen. Great job.

Looks like a kichen you could have a good cup of tea in and catch up with a friend.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks gothami.

Mudhouse thanks for your kind words. You were a great help with your olio board renditions of my early on ideas and your green and copper kitchen from the 'Keeping the Golden Oak' topic is what made me realize it was possible to save my oak cabinets. My original redo (with the bad counters) was going to be a green and copper color scheme but after the laminate was ruined I had to start over and wanted unique granite and also choices were limited to blend with the oak.

I included a link to revive that topic again in the case anyone else is thinking of keeping their oak cabinets to show the many ideas and possibilities. It isn't always easy, but it is possible!

Here is a link that might be useful: Keeping the Golden Oak

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wanted to share a few pics as I have some more fun decorating.

Nosoccermom, I picked up some of the green bird plates at Pier One. They are on clearance for $3.99 and will be nice to use with cream dishes. I put one on the counter on a stand for now.

I have returned the canvas version of the bird cage with pears, ordered a print of it and having it framed and will have it in 10 days or so. I think it will look much better in a black frame and a bit larger.

I also ordered another print from the same artist (Priska Wettstein-take a look at her stuff!!) which is dill in a vase and a pickle and just hung it to the left of the window. Michaels had a stock frame and dry mounted it, put on paper backing and the hanging wire for $20!

I really need to learn how to post more than one picture.

I am soooooo happy to be rid of the tier curtain and love the wood blinds.

Thanks again for all the compliments and suggestions for finishing touches.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dill in vase with pickle.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up of dill and pickle art. (Should have gotten the non-glare glass but not in the budget. What budget? lol)

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

HA HA pickle art!! I love it! It will look great across the corner from your framed birdcage print. I keep thinking to complete the subtle humor you need to build a fake nest with a bird in it, in the thing on the table. So you have a pear in a birdcage and a bird in the fruit bowl thingy! And a pickle looking on as its dill fawns over it longingly!

• lam702
    9 years ago

Love the dill and pickle art. You've done an amazing job on the entire kitchen, tinker. Still keeping a warm, country-ish vibe, yet bringing it from the 1980's to the present. I love it! I have a cape cod, so I tend to keep things a little bit country myself, but have been moving away from the "geese and ducks" decor I used to have. I love the warm, cozy feel of your kitchen.My kitchen is basically done, all I need is some wall art. I am going to check out Priska Wettstein's work, thanks for the inspiration.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure why I was drawn to such weirdness but probably because the theme is so unique and there is not much art out there for a kitchen. I was searching for a pear theme and found the bird cage with the pear in it and had to have it. The dill and pickle are of the same background so will look good together I think.

Hpny2, let us know if you find any art and did you post any pics of your kitchen yet?

Anyone for asparagus and potatoes!?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Love that art! And agree with hpny that you have preserved the country look but updated it and in a way made it more authentic and real.

• eve72
    9 years ago

Amazing transformation that isn't the typical white kitchen I am so tired of seeing.

• peegee
    9 years ago

Tried but couldn't find the earlier thread....
    Kitchen looks great!!!!!!!!!!!

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

I love what you did with your kitchen!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

It really looks fabulous! Love the art, plates, and I love your granite with the cabinets.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks.

I was looking for my initial posts to post the link but they seem to be gone????? Maybe they expire when too many pictures? There were two as the initial one spilled over after many attempts to find some direction.

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Found the original post if you are interested. Weird for me to see all that happened along the way, the wrong choices, the encouragement and details I almost forgot about.

Here is a link that might be useful: Need help updating country look kitchen

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I had to read this thread again and your thought process until you figured out with the help of suggestions on how to update your kitchen and keep your quality oak cabinets. The transformation is very nice! I love the changes.

This post was edited by lynn2006 on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 0:39

• tinker1121
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Decided not to reseal the granite. So afraid it will leave a haze and water seems to still bead up on it.