Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

KAW - End of June / Beginning of July

oldbat2be
9 years ago

Can't believe the year is half gone, has it ever flown!

One of my New Year's resolutions was to make one new recipe a week. I haven't accomplished this more than I have, but it makes me happy when I do! I searched through a large stack of my recipe magazines this weekend looking for the 'best onion ring recipe' (found it, Cuisine At Home, June 2005), and came across a bunch of recipes I've added to my 'to do' list.

From Cuisine at home, April 2009, Pasta Alfredo with half the calories.

Prep alfredo sauce, whisking low fat evaporated milk with an egg yolk and some parmesan.

Precook butterfly pasta.

Toss thinly sliced chicken with cajun seasoning and saute until browned and fully cooked.

Cook turkey kielbasa, onions, bell peppers and garlic over fairly high heat:

Toss everything together:

Add sauce and some parmesan shavings:

Yum! No finished pictures sorry, everyone was hungry:)

What are you cooking this week/month?

Comments (7)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Wow - that looks delicious! Wish I could have joined you for dinner!

I also wish I had taken pictures of our meal tonight.
    Ginger Sesame crusted Yellowfin Tuna, home made mac and cheese (is there any other kind), fresh peas, and home made strawberry pie with "Happy Cow" Ice Cream - long story but just know the Amish toe clippers keep the cows happy.(Calder Dairy)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

That looks delicious -- didn't expect to see kielbasa as part of the dish! And, A2gemini, anytime you want to come a few hours south and cook for me?

Here is what I have been up to. I have a couple of little citrus trees, a calamondin and a Rangpur lime, that produce enough fruit to set me up with marmalade for the year.

This jar will have cardamom and ginger added:

The calamondin and lime are both tart but definitely have different qualities.

Also, my neighbor across the street has a lovely sour cherry tree that she is uninterested in -- at least, not interested beyond the fact that the dropped fruit is messy. So she allowed me to harvest all that I could reach -- about 10 cups after sorting and pitting. That was only the bottom third of the tree at best -- makes me so sad to see the rest of those beautiful cherries go to waste!

The finished bounty!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A2-your dinner sound wonderful! Amish toe clippers? I think I need a link to that long story:)

Raee-I know, that rather surprised me too, but it worked. I loved seeing the pictures of your marmalade canning/prep. Sour cherry jam/jelly is one of my favorites. How very nice to have those jars to look at in the pantry!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

There isn't a link per say. We were touring Zingermans creamery(in A2)
    They explained how they chose Calder dairy for their dairy products.
    They interviewed a number of dairies and were naive at first and would ask how many cows they had - the dairies would correct them by using the term producers. So, they interviewed Calder - a smaller family run dairy farm and thinking they had down the lingo - ask how many producers they have. Calder replied that they have 150 ladies and they all have names. They were happy because their hooves were manually filed by the local Amish instead of using the electric clippers which were more likely to go too deep and cause infections. I grew up near farms but not sure how accurate the story is. Zingermans gelato is out of this world - but we usually want quantity so DH hunts Happy Cow ice cream which is not on the label - just the dairy name and cow drawings. Some day, we will bicycle to the dairy

• springroz
    9 years ago

A2, it is not so much about the terminology as it is about the question. Asking someone how many cows, or how many acres, they have is akin to asking how much money they have. If you know what the price per cow, or price per acre, is, then you can extrapolate their net worth.

Sorry to highjack, OB2B!! That pasta dish looks great!

No pics, but I made pulled pork in the crock pot, and DH and DS said they had never had better!!

Nancy

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Yummy! Although I'm not the primary cook, I'll be glad when we get our kitchen back. I miss real food!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

DH and I have been sans kids some -- including the one with the shellfish allergy, so we have been cooking what we wanted and had shrimp 4 meals last week and fresh spring rolls twice (once with shrimp and once with chicken).

We've also made 4 batches of salsa with tomatoes from the garden, blueberry jam, crisp, muffins, hand pies and meringue pie with berries we picked, a batch of plum jam with the first usable quantity of fruit from what was a volunteer sapling we brought with us when we moved here.

Going to finish another plum/mango jam and make a blueberry crumb pie (DH's co-workers will be happy -- we are not eating all this pie ourselves).

Now I want to make that pasta. I think I remember seeing the magazine (that was the month my dad passed, so I doubt I've opened the cover, but it has a vague recognition). Hope to be doing some sorting and filing today -- if I come across that issue, I'm going to make it this week. Maybe tonight.