Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenjoan_gw

Cambrian Black Antiqued Granite

helenjoan
15 years ago

First of all - a huge THANK YOU to everyone out there who so generously offers their advice and knowledge. I look forward to being on the other end of our renovation and being able to chime in with help as well.

In looking for a matte black/charcoal granite (for perimeter counters in the kitchen), it seems that Cambrian Black Antique gets high marks (matte appearance with less maintenance issues that honed). The fabricators in my area (southwestern CT) are less than enthusiastic (they each have told me that all matte black granite is high maintenance) but I am determined.

To those of you who have it-

1- Would you have it sealed? (There seems to be conflicting advice about this, although all the fabricators have told me it is necessary.)

2- Can you reccommend a fabricator in the Westchester, NY or Fairfield, CT area who is knowledgable about it?

Thank you very much!

Comments (9)

• nightowlrn
    15 years ago

I have had Cambrian Black Antiqued on our parimeter counters since January and we are thrilled with both the look and the ease of care. We were advised to not have it sealed. I have no trouble cleaning it. It is on a counter with the cooktop, so it does get a good workout. Our fabricator was a bit worried about the edge,(pencil) because it wouldn't be antique finished, but it is fine. I think they just didn't do a final polish like they would on the high polished stone edges. Here is a photo from a few weeks ago - don't pay attention to the mess ...

No help with the fabricator. Sorry.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Since I'm in TX, I can't recommend a fabricator for you, but I can tell you a little about seealer. We applied water to the stone at the yard and it beaded right up. My fabricator asked if it was already sealed and the yard guy told us that part of the antiquing finish included an acid wash that bound the surface particles together -- effectively sealing the surface. The fabricator said they could try to force the sealer in by rubbing it into the surface rather than just wiping, but he also said it probably wouldn't really matter. They did, and I don't know that it did make any difference, but nothing has gone into the surface at all. It's as bulletproof as I think they come. No more maintainence than wiping the counter off as you presumably would with any countertop.

• helenjoan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both- very helpful - and the photo is beautiful -the backsplash is very attractive. I visited the wholesaler today, accompanied by the fabricator reccommended by our builder. I love the look of the stone and am staying with it - but even the wholesaler is saying it needs to be sealed! It won't be installed until August, so I have some time to sort this out!

• axolotl
    15 years ago

Cambrian Black granite was recommended to me by my fabricator, an Italian gentleman with 40 years experience in the stone business. He gave me a square foot of 3cm stone with a finish he described as "brushed" (I assume this is the same as or similar to the "leather" or "antique" finishes mentioned by other correspondents). The sample has not been sealed. I've had this piece in my old kitchen for two months now during which time I've subjected it to a number of rigorous tests designed to simulate the worst kinds of kitchen abuse. I've left pastes made of baking soda, salt or TSP on it for up to a week, then heated them to boiling point with a propane torch; same with vinegar. I've taken a cast iron frying pan out of a 450 degree oven and placed it directly on the sample. There's not a mark on it: looks exactly the same as when it left the warehouse. When I tried to scratch/chip it with a wood chisel, I chipped the chisel, not the stone. I've placed an order for this material in my new kitchen. I will not be getting it sealed; why mess with unnecessary chemicals? Hope this alleviates any concerns expressed by other correspondents on this and other forums (e.g.,http://forums.findstone.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=765) regarding durability I don't think you could ask for a better stone and the texture looks great! I've paired it with a counter to ceiling backsplash of 12x24" Bianco Carrara marble tile and unstained maple cabinetry.

• axolotl
    15 years ago

Just follow up on my Nov 22 08 posting: Our Cambrian Black counters are beautiful and meet all expectations. For all you perfectionists out there, the edge issue raised by nightowlrn on Tue, Jun 3, 08 (this thread) was nicely solved by my fabricator: he used some sort of diamond-coated brush to dress the edges and the finish matches the top perfectly.

• aritchin
    9 years ago

Which fabricator did you find?

• millworkman
    9 years ago

aritchin, six years is a long time. That fabricator may be long gone......

• happyallison
    9 years ago

I am hoping to do Cambrian black antiqued on my perimeters and I thank you for sharing your experiences!

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals