Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inkycrab

Need opinons on backsplash detail - pics

inkycrab
15 years ago

My dh installed the backsplash on Sat. and made it around the whole kitchen with no cuts on these little tiles. Can you all look at the window and give me some opinions. There will be a piece of trim right under the window so ignore that part. Our dilema is should we leave the space on the right and left sides of the window untiled (where you see green paint) or cut tiles and tile up to the edge of the window? We won't take it any higher, but should we tile up to the window trim or leave that little painted border? Also, what color light switch and plugs would look good? I'm thinking stainless and gray.

Thanks!

Comments (17)

• alg1026
    15 years ago

Not sure about the backsplash, as I have no expertise in this area, but I love the hardware. Can you give info on where you purchased? And how about the granite, or is that silestone? Love the whole look with the cabinets and flooring, which are almost identical to what we will have come August when the project starts. Thanks!!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Make the cuts. Even if you just use a pair of tile nippers, and snap pieces of tile in half, that should work fine. One other thing-- you're also going to have to put pieces top and bottom of the lightswitch. Those "ears" on the top and bottom MUST sit on the finished surface, or the face plate won't sit properly on it. Same with any outlets you have in the backsplash. those ears MUST sit on the tile-- no choice in the matter, if you want to do it right.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

if it was me, i'd run the tile up along the side of the window. it'll give you a much more finished look.

the tile looks great!

• inkycrab
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Bill, I'll pass along that info to dh. I was leaning towards making the cuts too but he's losing steam on me.

Alg, the hardware is: Hafele 5" Modern Zinc Handle - 117.95.630 I got them through my cabinet shop for $6.49 each.

The countertop is quartz - Zodiac's Smokey Topaz. It looks a little green in the pics but it's brown. Thanks for the compliments!

Here is a link that might be useful: 5

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Thanks to Bill for posting another great pic that helps us visual people gain a clear understanding of how to do right by our tile!!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Isn't bill a wonderful guy :)

I'd run it right to the window as well :) And i'd do a granite switch plate :) Because it's not my money to spend (and as such...does not bother me at all to make such an expensive suggestion) :OP

• astridh
    15 years ago

I agree to take the tile to the window trim. I can't tell if your tile is beige or greenish, but Lutron makes beige receptacles and light switches that would blend in nicely. I would prefer that to stainless. Do you really want to call attention to the light switches? Very pretty kitchen.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Good tile job so far!

Cutting the tiles to fit to the window will give it that professional finished look. Otherwise, it's one of those little details that screams... DIY!

And, if it doesn't get done now, you know it never will! :>)

As for new plugs and switches, I'd lean to something that blends in, or SS over grey.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Add my vote to the "cut the tiles" count. It's a beautiful tile job (your DH available for subcontracting?), but it does look unfinished around the window.

Love seeing more pictures of that Smokey Topaz countertop! Can you tell me what brand and finish of cabinets you have?

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

I'm with the crowd on this one. Tile up to the window. Otherwise, it will look a little unfinished. BTW - it sure looks good so far! Please post a pic when it's finished, I'm dying to see it with the trim under the window.
    As far as the outlet switches & covers - I like your idea. I think it will meld well with the counters.

• gshop
    15 years ago

Tile up to the window for that professional look. Also I think using some outlets/switches/coverplates that blend in with the tile will look better than a contrast color (like SS). Check out all the colors that Lutron offers. Your DH has done such a beautiful job on the tiling, it needs to be the attraction, not the outlets. Good Luck!

• inkycrab
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone, tile to the window it is.

The tiles are getting a greenish hue in the pics but they are not at all. The darker tiles are the same color as the cabs.

Charlikin - the cabinets are by Decora, maple with a stain called Wheatfield.

• rgillman
    15 years ago

oh my goodness, you will surely want to finish off this lovely job by continuing the tile up the wall between the cabinet and the window. It would be a shame to leave it looking half-finished after such great work by your D.H. Love the cabinets and hardware, btw.

• trilby23
    15 years ago

I totally agree that you should tile up right to the window, but I personally don't care for the look of those small tiles cut in half. If it were me, I'd suggest using some longer, thin pieces that match one of the colors in the small squares. But that's just me. :-)

Whichever way you go, that is one GORGEOUS backsplash!!

------------ Trilby (2 cents R Us)

• muscat
    15 years ago

inkycrab, it looks GREAT!!!!!! I agree about bringing the tile all the way to the edge of the window, but I LOVE what you have created!

I wonder if grey and black, or plain grey outlets/switches would look nice. That is what I have, and my tiles are of a similar earthy hue to yours. It is neutral, but clean looking:

• inkycrab
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks muscat, hopefully dh will finish up this weekend. I can't wait to see it with the grout.

I think I'm going to go buy a few switch cover samples and bring them home to try. I know I saw yours at Lowe's.

• catbird
    15 years ago

I'm with the cut-the-tile crowd. Take the DH out for a big steak dinner and an evening away from the kitchen, then maybe he'll catch a second breath. He's done such a great job so far, he can't not finish it right. Be sure to post the finished pics!