Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sea_koz

outlets with integrated switches?

sea_koz
11 years ago

Hi Folks,

I've always been impressed with the outlets in Europe that have power switches integrated in them. This lets you turn on/turn off outlets and cut power to devices without unplugging them (Pic enclosed).

I haven't been able to find anything like that for US outlets, but I'd really like them. Has anyone come across something like this here? I've seen appliance switches that plug into the outlet, but they look terrible and don't connect the grounds.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to the

Comments (10)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

This may be something your electrician can do,

I have a switched outlet in my craft room that I use for my iron. Rather than screwing with resetting the dial on the iron all the time, I set it and then just turn the switch on and off which powers the outlet. It is not as neat and trim as the outlet above thought. It looks like a switch and an outlet next to each other.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Might have some luck on the wiring forum with this.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

You mean something like this:

?

They are not exactly hard to find. You can find them at any big box store. You have to wire them to do the function you want, but no big deal.

Here is a link that might be useful: random Amazon source

• sea_koz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Angie,

I had thought of these but it's not as elegant as the image I posted, this cuts my outlet density in half which I was hoping to avoid.

• taggie
    11 years ago

You can just put two of them beside each other and cover it with this:

Also, your electrician may well be able to source you something like what's in the initial picture. Mine had access to some nifty stuff that you don't see in stores, like a 6 gang switch and plate that takes only the space of a decora 2 gang, so that I can work all my undercab and in-cab lighting independently but without it looking like a space shuttle launch zone.

The trouble with your initial picture though is that it looks like it might be a non-standard box size. So it might be just as well to go the route of dual-decoras anyway.

• carybk
    11 years ago

Just FYI, they have these in Europe because their voltage is different and the current is much more deadly. Don't know of similar options here.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Most of Europe is on 240 V for even routine circuits.

The plugs often contain individual fuses also.

Europe does not have copper mines (all the copper must be imported) so minimizing conductor size was (and is) a real driver.

The higher voltage puts a premium on insulation and safety issues, while allowing the use of smaller wire for typical loads.

You will not see #14 and #12 branch circuit conductors.

• kaysd
    11 years ago

Taggie wrote: "Mine had access to some nifty stuff that you don't see in stores, like a 6 gang switch and plate that takes only the space of a decora 2 gang, so that I can work all my undercab and in-cab lighting independently but without it looking like a space shuttle launch zone."

Taggie, can you please post a picture? I will need 5 different dimmers for my kitchen lights and am dreading a giant plate at each entrance to the kitchen.

• taggie
    11 years ago

kaysd, not sure how great this pic is as it's a bit grainy re. how large I had to blow up the part that shows the switch, which is in shadows to boot. But hopefully it gives you an idea:

I can take a better pic on the weekend if you like. But the switch itself is fantastic, I love having it. Each of the 6 toggle switches control a separate lighting area but the plate is still nice and compact.

• kaysd
    11 years ago

Thanks, Taggie, it helps to see it. Unfortunately, that probably won't work for me because I want everything on dimmers. It's a great idea, though.