Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peytonrose1015

Does this base trim look strange?

ILoveRed
9 years ago

This is a newly renovated handicapped accessible bathroom in an office.

Does this base trim look strange?

Shouldn't there be a "cover" on the underside of the vanity to cover the plumbing?

Thank you.

Comments (8)

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

A cover might interfere with the wheelchair user's access to the sink. However, all the pipe should be chrome, rather than having that white PVC section.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

If the drain underneath were all metal there would need to be insulated padding on the pipe to prevent a wheelchair user from burning their legs on the drain if the water is hot. The other solution is a slanted cabinet panel which isn't quite "complete": it's usually partly cut out for the sink and I don't think it looks better than exposed pipes, often. It's possible that the PVC is enough of an insulator that these are not necessary.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

The base trim doesn't look strange to me.

• deedles
    9 years ago

The toe kicks on those cabs look strange to me. How do they help someone in a w/c get closer to anything?

Agreed the pipes should be chrome only.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

If this is an inspected, handicap access, public bathroom, the drain can't be all exposed chrome. If it is all metal it has to be covered with cushioned insulated covers. Maybe the PVC stands in for that.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Base is strange looking, what did the original design call for?

Angled slab panel to cover the plumbing, painted same as cabinets....two pieces of blocking screwed to the cabinets and then screw the panel to the blocking using SS screws with SS trim washers....done everyday in handicap accessible vanities

• User
    9 years ago

The baseboard molding should wrap around the entire cabinet base instead of using toe there. It's that disconnect that's giving it a "strange" look.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another pic of the base. It's the same as the cabinet but it's so "square". I just thought the shape was odd. I wanted to get some opinions before I call the cabinet place. These are "Mouser" cabinets. I have never used them before. They are beautiful and had a special at the time...no up charge for inset.

I don't know what the original design called for, I'm embarrassed to admit. I was so covered up at the time. I looked it over really well, changed the drawers a little and the depth of the linen cabinet next to the vanity but did not pay much attention to the base.

The baseboard is SW creamy. It's a little different color than the cabinet. I don't think it would have looked right wrapped around the cabinet but if it was the same color...it would have worked.

I think I will call and see if a panel should be added underneath.

But, lots of mixed opinions here on the base trim around the cabinet....Not sure what to do. I thought maybe this was something that was specific to a handicapped vanity, that might sustain less damage from a wheel chair?.

Thank you for your help :-)