Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dejongdreamhouse

Inspiration: Modern/Transitional Kitchens

dejongdreamhouse
12 years ago

I've really learned a lot from these forums as DH and I prepare to build our dream house. The one thing I haven't been able to find are a lot of modern kitchens. I have browsed through the finished kitchen blog, which is holy-wow-fantastically tabbed and cross-referenced (Big thanks to whoever did that!), but haven't seen a lot of modern/transitional kitchen.

Please forgive me if this isn't the place to post, but I thought it might be a good idea to post some of our inspiration pictures, and maybe some of the modern folks could post theirs as well. (Other styles could start their own threads).

{{!gwi}}

Comments (16)

• dejongdreamhouse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ICFGreen DH here... Nice job with the pictures! Hope we'll see a couple more soon. DO note that we are a bit more online savvy so not everyone might have their 'portfolio' of inspirations all ready to go... But other posters: please don't keep my wife hanging out there all by her lonesome... ;-)

• sochi
    12 years ago

There was a thread several months back where everyone posted their modern kitchen, you might want to do a search for it. No harm in starting another thread though, we might get a few new pictures. My kitchen isn't quite done yet, maybe this fall (still need an island and backsplash), but it is pretty much complete. It ismodern with a strong dash of MCM.

I haven't figured out how to get inspiration pictures off the internet and pasted here in GW yet. I will try to figure it out.

• dejongdreamhouse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! What a fantastic kitchen! I LOVE it! I love all the photos and personal touches, too. I've been looking at so many magazines, showrooms and staged houses, I'm forgetting what a NORMAL house looks like.

I searched for modern kitchens in this thread before making this post and didn't seen anything. Clearly not my best brain day. I'll try again.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Sochi is too modest... her kitchen rocks, with or without any further changes!

Our kitchen is vintage modern (pre-MCM) but is not ready for reveal yet. We used older elements but all clean lines and shapes. We have slab front white cabs with chrome hardware and a patterned Marmoleum floor (which sadly needs replacing, long story) which will become another patterned floor of some sort. The only uppers we have are over our fridge and freezer. Nothing in our kitchen is inlaid, beaded, glazed, carved, or complicated.

• dejongdreamhouse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dianalo, I can't wait to see.

Tell me more about the Marmoleum. We're considering it for our laundry room.

We don't have many uppers either. I really don't need any. Give me all drawers, all the time!

• sochi
    12 years ago

Sometimes it is easier to find the old threads via Google, I've pasted the link below.

Can't wait to see your kitchen dianalo!

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern kitchens link

• catvault
    12 years ago

sochi, I loooove the kitchen, and Im not even really into the mod kitchens! I really love the framed photos that give it that personal touch. Even though my kitchen will be more traditional, Im taking that idea to use for sure! Thanks!

• Cloud Swift
    12 years ago

Our kitchen is more transitional, not quite as modern. We like modern, but after 25 years with slab, no hardware doors and drawers, we wanted a change but we still wanted to keep relatively simple lines. Our house is a custom California MCM built in the mid 70s (though I think some things like the kitchen tile were more influenced by 70's style than modern).

We didn't have any inspiration kitchen pictures. I guess that was partly because we went into this knowing pretty much what we wanted so we didn't look for them. Also, it seems like most of the kitchens are either very sleek modern or very traditional with moldings, feet, etc. I didn't see much that was transitional.

We found our inspiration more from the materials - a cool blue quartzite paired with warm cherry shaker cabinets.

We knew that the existing layout worked very well for us except that we wanted to get rid of the cabinets above the island so the design was more about choosing the appliances and designing the cabinet layout to make up for that lost storage space.

Here is how it turned out (the white fridge died after a few more years and has been replaced with a stainless steel Samsung french door):

If you look carefully, you might notice that this picture was taken before we made a modification to the hood - the picture above shows the final hood configuration.

We have had our new kitchen for about 5 years and are about to start on the second phase of the project. That is redoing the side of the family room across from the kitchen - taking out a tiny fireplace in a huge faux stone hearth to make room for a big flat panel TV, an EPA phase II fireplace, storage on the rest of that wall (including some kitchen storage) and new floor for the FR, kitchen and breakfast room (we kept the floor the first time because we knew this was coming).

We are struggling at the moment to decide what to do for door and drawer style on the family room wall. Probably still natural cherry, but probably not shaker - something different to say "this isn't the kitchen"?

• braque17
    12 years ago

Hey ICFGreen,

If you are looking for inspirations and photos of modern kitchens/homes -check out Houzz.com and DesignSponge.com.

We are doing a modern kitchen installing St. Charles cabinets but still in the very early planning stages.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Here's ours:

(These were taken before we added the "art glass" to the cab tops):

• Cloud Swift
    12 years ago

Hi Cat_mom! How's the ceiling fan? Does it move as much air as the big single fan ones? I'm thinking of using one like that in our family room or in my office, but the blade area seems small so I wonder how well they work.

• dejongdreamhouse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sochi! Thanks for the link!

Braque17, I'm thoroughly addicted to Houzz, but I hadn't heard of Design Sponge. That's for the tip!

CatMom, what a beautiful kitchen! I love the vertical tile, especial around the hood. Also, is that a pull out foot thing for the trash. Do you love it?

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Hi cloud_swift! We LOVE our ceiling fan (Matthews Fans--Vent Bettina). It does move plenty of air around, esp because it has the two fan heads that rotate around while they are spinning (FYI, there is no motor in the center, just the fan heads--it's the centrifugal motion from the fan blades spinning that causes the unit to rotate). The more deeply angled the heads are in the downward position (they adjust up/down), the less blade speed is needed to get the unit to rotate (fine line there though--too sharply angled downward and everything on the island underneath blows away! lol).

Different models have longer or shorter arms with more or less "reach" too, BTW. They now have a model with a built-in down light, too, which was not available when we'd gotten ours. Might look into retrofitting a new base piece for the light at some point.

You're welcome to contact me via email and I can give you my number if you want to discuss further. We had had to send a few parts back initially, but Matthews was very responsive and especially helpful in addressing any issues we had.

We use it a lot during the warmer months.

ICF green, thank you! That is indeed a Hafele foot pedal for the trash cabinet. Love having it, too! We had to replace something on it (pedal housing?) because a part cracked/broke-off, but one of the reps lives locally, and came out to replace it for us himself! So nice popping that door open without touching the handle with yucky hands!

• Fori
    12 years ago

Thanks for the inspiration photos! Here is one of my favorites although I might be tempted to update some materials (and I think it's staged for resale in the photo, hence the dreadful rug):

• momqs
    12 years ago

I think of ours as contemporary rather than modern or transitional, but many of the kitchens above were on my inspiration list so I'll include it.

• honorbiltkit
    12 years ago

Here's mcl's modern kitchen -- a change so profound that at first I thought the pictures were of different spaces. I had to go the google route to drudge the thread up, but the image was fresh in my mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: (wonderfully) extreme black and turquoise

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!