Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barista9

Silicone caulk reacting with painted cabinets

barista9
9 years ago

We're going to contact the cabinet manufacturer first thing tomorrow, but if anyone knows what could be tried in the interim it would be great.

I just put clear silicone caulk between the granite and the backslash, everything was fine. I also applied caulk on the joint of the panel for the refrigerator cabinet and the granite, at this place, the panel turned green/yellow after about an hour. I tried cleaning it up with hot water, the silicone came off but the discolouring stayed.
Any idea what kind of reaction happened there, so I can be more prepared when talking to the manufacturer rep?

This post was edited by barista9 on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 20:27

Comments (53)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

If that's the caulk you used, I am stumped.

• minicav09
    9 years ago

Any chance you can post a follow up, or how you resolved this issue??

I moved in to our brand new house a month ago and we finished tiling a backsplash. Two days later we caulked using the same GE Silicome as you and have bright yellow anywhere that the silicone touched the finished side of the cabinets!

I have no idea what caused the silicone to react this way, or how to fix it. Could you share how your situation turned out please?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Well, my husband used the same silicone caulk in our laundry sink around the drain. Same yellow/green change in color of the caulk, but obviously no reaction with any paint.

• hackcliff
    9 years ago

Any update on this? I too have the same neon greenish/yellow stain on the new kitchen panels. I too used the same GE silicone. I am not sure whether to call GE or the kitchen manufacturer. I will start with GE as it seems to be the common link, I doubt we all used the same kitchen company. I hate when people use these forums to ask questions and never post answers/solutions afterwards.
    I will post what GE tell me..

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

-This happened to my bath also. I must have used two different types as only one area is bad. Trying to resolve this has meant sanding and repainting. It was the top trim on bead board, not a cabinet, so I was saved a bit. And the baseboard trim is fine. Obviously I did use something else, sure would like to know what it was and not go there again. Let us know if you find out anything.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Silicone is best used 20' deep in a landfill, unopened.

Use POLYSEAMSEAL.
    The tool is your dampened finger.

• practigal
    9 years ago

I was curious about this problem. When I search the web I found about a dozen reports of this particular brand turning yellow. I also found the number of people mentioned a recall but I could not find record of such a recall. The only solution seemed to be to remove it, repaint if necessary and start again with another brand....

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

I'm sorry this happened to all of you. How horrible!

I'm so glad I saw this thread. I just bought another brand. Thanks for sharing.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

I had this happen to me late last summer in my bathroom with the same caulk. I scraped and redid most of it with a different brand and left a small piece to run an experiment. The greenish tint eventually disappeared. I thought at the time maybe there was some moisture I had caulked over but after hearing about other people with the same issue I'm not sure.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

I read a technical article from one caulk manufacturer, and they said that some chemical (a plasticizer) was leached out of the paint which made their silicone turn yellow.
    So basically, a bad interaction between two products, which should be made note of so it does not get repeated.
    A latex caulk would not have had that exact reaction.
    Casey

• Jesse
    8 years ago

I just got burned by the same GE product on my white cabinets today. Does anybody have any follow up on how to fix the problem? I already scraped out as much of the silicone as I could.

• PRO
    Taylor's Cabinets & Interiors
    8 years ago

It will probably fade back. Put some lights on it, the uv will speed the process along. And use your finger to rub any smeared residue off the counter and side.

I had the same problem on a customer's kitchen. Any where it touched, left a shade of yellow/neon green. So I ordered a replacement door end panel and some flat molding. By the time the replacements came in, the color was gone.

• tcarith
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Help! Same thing just happened to me. How long did it take for the yellow to fade? My contractor used GE silicone.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    8 years ago

If sunlight fades it, then so would a good ol' fluorescent light.

Casey

• tracie_erin
    8 years ago

Hm, maybe this is what happened in my tiled shower. I always thought it was because the corners were grouted THEN caulked, but maybe it is the product. But, it's been two years and I still have a yellow tint...

• tcarith
    8 years ago

The yellowing faded significantly overnight and today. The bar area where this happened gets good natural light, however the corner that gets the least light is still yellow. Hopefully it will also fade as the day goes on. Pretty concerning when you spend good money on cabinets and it looks as if they are ruined before they are completely installed.

• Chris n Danelle
    8 years ago

The same thing just happened to us on our brand new white kitchen cabinets! It looks like someone took a yellow highlighter to them! the same GE caulk was used. Right now everyone is stumped and trying to find an answer. How did everyone make out? What should we do?! :( advice please!

• PRO
    Taylor's Cabinets & Interiors
    8 years ago

Put some lights on it and give it a couple weeks, it will mostly like completely fade.

• Chris n Danelle
    8 years ago
    Thanks! We used a light and It's almost faded.
  • Chris n Danelle
    8 years ago

What type of caulk do you recommend? We don't want this to happen again.

• ana_q24sanchez
    8 years ago

Anyone got an answer from GE

• Denis Gelinas
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is second time this has happened. First time GE silicone, it was a small fix just a new trim and got away with it. This morning was a different issue it was a fridge panel and stove cabinet. Yesterday granite installer used GranQuartz silicone same thing happened OMG this is a nightmare. But THANK YOU for all your info on this forum I was able to investigate and find a FIX, yes a FIX. After you all said that UV and 2 weeks of cure time could work well I used my UV light that I use to seem glass together and all so far is going away !!!

• Daniel Levin
    7 years ago

Denis, can you confirm your issue completely went away? If so, after how long? see my green highlights above, they seem to get worse by the second. What kind of UV lights did you get to help fix this?

• Jesse
    7 years ago
    Daniel, my issue resolved itself completely. I did put a black light on it, but it didn't actually need it. I took a piece of scrap from my white cabinets and put the silicone on as a test board. The issue went away completely within the week.
  • tcarith
    7 years ago

My issue also resolved within a week without UV light, although the location does get a fair amount of indirect natural light from nearby windows.

• Denis Gelinas
    7 years ago

Daniel. It completely went away, it's been 3 months since.

• Daniel Levin
    7 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll wait it out and repost with any results.

• olrobertca
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ran into the same issue as above and found this blog to be very helpful in resolving the issue so thanks to all the above who commented!

The quartz counter top fabricator/installer used GE Silicone 2 and after a few hours it reacted with the paint on the cabinet leaving a green haze. The installer said they had never had any issues using GE Silicone 2 before. Fortunately; after about a week with the help of a florescent construction light shining on the area during the night it went away.

• kellysigel
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have this too. My issue was not removing old caulk. Where I did, it did not turn green. 2 different products reacting together was the issue.

• andygranite
    6 years ago

I Just installed a Quartz Countertop and sealed where it met the pantry cabinets with the GE silicone II and just got a call fiom the contractor complaining about a green line on the blue cabinets. I called GE using the number on the silicone tube and was informed this is an overage of catalyst and will disappear on its own within two weeks. They said do not remove the silicone as this is a normal reaction.

• tidings3
    6 years ago

Yikes! I just experienced the same thing, same GE product. The caulk turned my custom fireplace mantle yellow/green by the next morning following installation. As soon as I read these comments, I began removing as much of the caulk as possible. By the second day, yesterday, I'm wondering if it's fading or my wishful thinking? Crossing my fingers and researching other caulking products. Recommendations?

• Richard Finnegan
    6 years ago

It will fade in a few weeks. The installer used acid cure instead of neutral cure silicone. As a cabinet rep, I have seen this a few times in the past and it always goes away.

• karenmbeil
    6 years ago

My contractor used a similar "clear" caulk to install a white Cambria countertop and backsplash. (I don't know the brand.) It has stayed yellow on the wall and countertop for a year. But worse, because it's gummy, it collects dirt and is impossible to clean.

• PRO
    Cambria
    6 years ago

Hi karenmbeil, our customer care team would like to know more about your countertops. If you'd like to talk to them about the issue please call 866-226-2742 or send us a message with your contact info! Thank you

• PRO
    Dream Kitchens
    6 years ago

Hello, I've had this happen on cabinets before with one of our contractors and he said to give it a couple of days and it will go away and he was correct. Don't know why this happened but I've personally seen the yellow (and freaked out) and then the beautiful finished product after the yellow went away. I can reach out to him to see what product he used to see if it was the same

Thanks,

Jason

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

" But worse, because it's gummy, it collects dirt and is impossible to clean."

If it has stayed gummy, it's not silicone.

• karenmbeil
    6 years ago

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate your comments and the offer from Cambria to talk it over. I will call. The product is still yellow on the painted wall, the countertop and backsplash, a whole year later. That is an interesting observation about silicone; I will try to find out exactly which product the contractor did use.

• Jennifer Hertz
    6 years ago
    Had the same issue with the GE Sillicon II. Thank you for this post. It gave me hope. It was fluorescent green the first day. Where natural light hit it, the green went away in 2 days. Where there was no natural light I put up a bug zapper and a black light bulb. The light from the bug zapper was effective the bulb was not. 3 days out just have a few spots left. Here are pictures.
  • Andrew Skeens
    5 years ago

I had the same experience, GE silicone on glass cabinet doors. It reacted with the cabinet finish, and turned dayglow yellow. After reading this post, I placed them outside in the sun and the yellow went away.:)

• Patricia Taylor
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I wish I had seen this post prior to using between quartz counter and beautiful new vanity tower
  • Patricia Taylor
    4 years ago

Has anyone reported this to GE? The product NEEDS a warning!

• PRO
    Two Guys Home Improvements
    4 years ago

I'm a contractor in ny who just installed white painted cabinets for a client.. counter top installer just finished installing... the following day along the entire perimeter of cabinets are now a bright neon yellow color??? trying to find why?? obviously there is some sort of chemical reaction between the silicone and the paint. does anyone have any information on this issue please. I can be reached at 631-433-1614 thank you in advance for. Ed

• PRO
    4 years ago

please help!!

• daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

I would try andrew's suggestion above of removing the doors and placing them in the sun. If it is on cabs that can't be removed, I wonder if an artificial UV light would do the same thing. I would also contact GE and direct them to this thread.

• PRO
    4 years ago

I appreciate it.. however the cabinet panels cannot be removed.. it is a pretty large area and entire perimeter of peninsula etc.. call will be made to GE. but I think we all know no one is going to take responsibility for this!!

• daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

I really think it would be easiest to check out this link and buy a UV bulb. It sounds like the light reacts with chemicals to change the finish. It would be the easiest fix, so I'd try it first.

https://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/article/choosing-ultraviolet-bulbs/

• daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

I would also approach GE as I do my 6 year old students - ie, non-confrontationally (My wording is: "I'm not mad, but we have a problem and we need your help to solve it"). GE knows the chemical make up of their products and may know how to neutralize the chemical reaction taking place, if the UV bulbs don't work.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

GE can't even get the products they manufacture to match their published installation specifications. I'm not optimistic here. They're going to refer you to their lawyer, not their chemist.

• HU-788231302
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I too recently experienced this with GE caulk in a small section of my bathroom. It didn’t fade much from the bright yellow after a week, so i removed it and replaced it with a different product. It was still white underneath the top layer. Annoying all around.