Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Partial overlay cabinetry - what makes this work?

oldbat2be
9 years ago

I've been bemoaning my partial overlay doors/design since Scrappy25's post earlier in the week. Then I started drooling over this picture from Fireclay tonight. Other than the great color and two toned backsplash, please help me deconstruct this to figure out what makes this work (and please someone, do let me know what the hardware is!). Thanks!!

Comments (20)

• romy718
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oldbat, I've seen lots of pics of your kitchen (and the rest of your beautiful home with those cool drawers, linen cabinets & all the other custom things you & DH have the ability to do).
    Honestly, before I started researching kitchens, I couldn't even visually recognize whether cabinets were full overlay, partial overlay or inset.
    Anyway, I'm not trying to point out my ignorance but to say you have a gorgeous kitchen. You have so many unique, custom features. It would take me awhile to list them, but if you need me to, I can.
    Don't bemoan.
    That kitchen is really cool! That backsplash makes the countertop work. Risky color that I would never have the confidence to pick, but it is stunning.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

I think it's all about visual punch. First, you have the obvious red. But then on top of this, the partial overlay punches the doors out from the cabinet surface. The frosted glass punches back in from the doors and mullions. The hardware also packs a punch with its chunky and shiny presence. Even the raised panels in the "drawer" fronts pack a punch with drama. And somehow, even the symmetry of the shot packs a punch, visually. The stark grates on the cooktop, the stark grout in the backsplash. Even the oval logo panel on the vent hood. The harsh, angled lighting - dropping stark shadows that highlight surfaces. Punch.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Romy718 - thank you, a HUGE thank you for your kind words, but really, I'm only now realizing what partial overlay is!!! Unfortunately for DH, I have to see how something looks in person, before I know how it should look (so much rework this has meant).
    Really, as part of the sell process, we should be shown the various cabinet options, and THEN shown how it looks when done well, vs. poorly....

Sink reveals are another choice I have yet to master/learn:). I glazed/skimmed through all those posts because I didn't understand what was being asked.

You're right about how well the countertop works with the backsplash. Thanks!

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

ob2b- I had to find your reveal because I wasn't on GW at the time.

First of all your kitchen is gorgeous!! Secondly, I realize I'm no expert but your cabinets don't really look like partial overlay to me. There is virtually no visible stiles.
    Your old kitchen was definitely partial with the wide 1.5-2 inch visible rails and stiles.

Regardless, I would take your kitchen any day....and I don't like white cabinets so that is saying something!!!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Oldbat, I have that same vision. I have to see it. Too funny about sink reveals. I was looking at my sink this morning trying to figure out what kind of reveal I have. Just last week, I found out (via GW) my tiler have used sanded grout & bigger grout lines. I did know about caulk at the countertop joint. So much research but still learning. My kitchen's done but I can pay it forward.

• beachpea3
    9 years ago

Oldbat2be..

Your kitchen rocks...you do not need to bemoan anything!! Tis your kitchen we drool over....You have transformed your whole house to the envy of the rest of us!

I have full overlay cabinets and drawers...because the rest of my antique house has raised field paneling and doors, full overlay cupboards, corner stock beams,etc. Anything else would have looked out of place. I had no other choice when looking at redoing the kitchen.

To answer your question...What full overlay does, in your sample, is give depth, definition and dimension with the added bonus of a "shadow effect". In this picture you can see the shadow lines on the bottoms of the cabinets and in the wood pieces under the countertop range that make the cabinetry stand out. This whole design was augmented with the punch of the red color and, as mentioned, the coordinated counter and backsplash.

Fret no more! You made perfect choices!

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I like partial overlay. I think it works for a vintage feel, as above. Not sure how long they have been around but full overlay looks more contemporary or transitional.

Really like that kitchen! Wouldn't be the same with full overlay!

• peony4
    9 years ago

The pulls looks like RH Lugarno pulls (link below).

There are more things I *don't* love about this snapshot. First, I think the red, while stunning in a 6-inch square photo on my screen, would be overwhelming in an actual space. For a few years, it might be a talking point, but after a while, I think you'd find yourself painting these cabs, much like SunnyCottage is doing.

The symmetry of the photo is what makes it appealing, as beautybutdebtfree notes. But that's a poor location for paper towels.

I do not think the counters work at all. They seem an original, speckly type of Corian. If the designer is going for vintage, a natural surface would be more appropriate.

Here is a link that might be useful: RH Lugarno Pull

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Partial overlay works in the right setting, with exposed hinges too! In our little '53 casual ranchy beach, (if that's a term?;) ...full overlay would be way too contemporary, and inset might just feel too formal...

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

Oldbat2be, I've admired your kitchen many times and not once did it occur to me that they were partial overlay!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

oldbat2be, oh please, just stop. :)

Your kitchen is one of the best of show. You're famous for your backsplash but I just had to do a search to see what the commotion about overlay was about.

They sure look like full overlay to me. Maybe not so tight that any wood movement will cause a problem, but, you know? I had partial overlay and had new doors/drawers that are designed to give a full overlay look. But I still see stiles and rails and door frames. So what? I like how it looks.

I do not care for the look of the kitchen in your example. Nightmare red. All I can see is the oak grain. I do like the pulls and the frosted glass though.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

I had to look up your kitchen too. Looks like full overlay to me. It is gorgeous.

I love the tiled niche for your fire extinguisher! Brilliant.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys are the best!!! Thank you. I've been reading these posts (and cringing) because now I'm feeling embarrassed. I'm not bemoaning what we have - fabulous layout, and so many good choices, which I wouldn't change. The cabinet door fronts and design... another matter entirely. What I've been thinking about is the lack of knowledge/foresight we had, to address areas of cabinetry which we customized, while selecting a RTA cabinet. In hindsight, I think it could have been done better.

I apologize up front for these very minor complaints of mine, to those of you whose homes are in total disarray at present. Our remodel (we put together our own cabinets and did our own plumbing and lots otherwise) took a good 6 months. I remember rolling my eyes at those who were dithering over hardware when our kitchen looked like this:

I'll admit we don't have partial overlay, but what I've enjoyed about Scrappy25's post, is hearing and seeing the 'right' way and terms to treat filler space.

Here are a few shots of some of the areas in question; if I could redo, I'd resize the drawer fronts and add a few fillers. (Oh, and select a much simpler, beaded inset door too, as well as totally different hardware).

This is so picky, but consider what happens when you convert the door under your sink, from one which swings open to the right, to a Hafele pedal roll out. THE SPACE TO THE RIGHT CAN LESSEN.

Baking area here. Lots of custom drawer sizes (which I love) but it would be nice if drawer fronts covered the whole space with minimum gaps.

I guess my point is, when you see how well it can be done, you become very interested in the details!! As my dear MIL says - the more you do, the more you can do. If you need to get something done, ask a busy person to do it.

Sorry to digress so much from my original post.

beautybutdebtfree - yes, it's the punch I love and the contrasts which just satisfy something in me.

texas_gem - I'm so glad you liked the kitchen! I think you're way ahead of me in being able to define cabinetry assembly, I'll take your word that we don't have partial overlay:)

romy718 - yes to the pay it forward, especially the areas I love (tile and lighting). Great fun when I have the time.

beachpea3 - thank you for putting into words what I saw in the picture. I do not fret (often), just still second guess myself. You're very kind, thanks!

snookums2 - good point about the vintage feel, but I don't think vintage when I look at the picture. (This is why I need help deconstructing).

peony4 - thanks for the link to the RH Lugarno pulls. I'm thinking these are slimmer, though? Yes, you are spot on with regards to the color overwhelming over time, but just picture this in the beach or ski condo you rented and into which you just walked....vavoom! I've got to disagree about the counter tops, think they add more then they detract.

ctycdm - those look like my gaps, and I don't have exposed hinges. Ranchy beach... I had a ranchy cape which hopefully is now a cape :)

scappy25, you know this is all because of you! Seriously, great thread and I will look forward to see what you do to resolve your concerns.

linelle - Oh my gosh, now YOU stop! You're way too kind. I just happen to have combined an interest in photography and kitchen desighn, about the time my kids stopped letting me photograph them, resulting in the occasional "GOOD" picture. Interesting to know that you had new doors/drawers made. That's an idea I entertain, but then worry about colors matching. Oh well, when I win the lottery.... Interesting, I don't see the oak grain at all.

Hi red_lover, thanks! The fire extinguisher niche was one of those 'aha' moments, to which poor DH came home one evening. I do love it.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

OldBat - I am always amazed at you and your husbands skills. My DH is definitely not a DIY!

Anyway, here is an HGTV link on explaining full and patial overlay as well as framed and frameless - they like framed better, although most kitchens(including mine) have frameless- although only my bottoms are totally frameless
    http://www.hgtvremodels.com/kitchens/tips-on-selecting-kitchen-cabinet-frames/index.html

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I think that what makes it (sort of) work for me in the uppers is the combination of bright shiny color (maybe more because I am always a sucker for cherry red) with the glass. I typically don't like grainy wood, either painted or unpainted, or partial overlay, but the two strong elements distract my eye so that it skims over the gaps and grain and focuses on the glass framing which I love.

Those smallish raised panels and drawer in the lowers would bug me over the long term, though.

• fishymom
    9 years ago

Oldbat, I hear what you are saying but your kitchen is one of my absolute favorites on GW! In fact, it was your backsplash that caused me many sleepless nights. I absolutely LOVE it and would love to have a beautiful bold backsplash in my kitchen, but knowing that we will be selling in a few years, I had to go a "safer" route.

As for the photo, what makes it work for me is the vibrant cabinet color and the subtle tone on tone backsplash. But I like your kitchen much better!

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Hey Oldbat2be, your sort of intellectual deconstruction kitchen thread is one of the most helpful to me because you are questioning your experience and knowledge. I learn more from these threads so you're not bemoaning-you're helping long time planners like myself learn.

I really love that Fireclay kitchen, but I have to admit I think Fireclay can do no wrong. The whole kitchen however may be a little too much because I am more of a natural wood and Earthy colors kind of gal.

I think the Fireclay kitchen though works because it has that super light center between the backslash and counter which melts together. The frosted glass in the cabinets feel the same lightness so it seems to lessen the severity of the red and make it more palatable.

My experience has me thinking about partial overlay cabinets in a certain way and they work with a fun and funky treatment like the red. When I think of partial overlay I think original cabinets in an older home which I know is not true but that is my association. I also think about those cool old funky homes in the trendy parts of town with kitchens like these. I have a lot of artist friends with kitchens saturated in just an amazing amount of color, and while they seem completely crazy when you walk in by the time you leave all you can talk about is how that amazing that kitchen is.

• Skyangel23
    9 years ago

Oldbat2be,
    I am no expert but I would consider your cabinets full overlay, especially when compared to our previous houses' builder grade where partial overlay means 1 1/2 to 2 inch gaps. But, I completely get you about second guessing and feeling like you would have done it differently and better if you had known what you do now. I struggle with this a lot, and am currently doing it with our new build in progress. I seem to come up with fantastic ideas AFTER the drywall is up and the cabinets are already ordered, ect. ect.

I happen to struggle with being too self-critical in many areas, and the house and kitchen are just the current objects I am focused on. For me, I have a hard time appreciating the things I've done right and instead see how I could have/should have done something better.

Anyway, I do love your kitchen and backsplash, and after all it's just a house, it's YOU and your family that make it a home. :-)

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link a2gemini, one of these days I'll watch it:) Currently, I'm busily researching Cast Iron Griswold skillets, (curse that 'best thing in your kitchen' thread!).

Speaking of which - why do you like the silicone spatulas with metal handles? (I'm wondering about the metal vs. wood or plastic).

raee - I agree about the sizing of the lower drawer fronts and raised panels. They do look off. But the color, ahhhh:)

fishymom - those are what I narrowed in on as well. After looking at this so many times already, I still find the backsplash so very satisfying.

Just noticed that the brick is shown in cotton and snow. If you look closely, you can see the careful placing of the lighter colored tile.

Iowacommute - I like your deconstruction 'super white center between the backsplash and the counter'. I think the SS cooktop is a definite part of this.

skyangel23 - We do have places where I feel the drawer fronts are just slapped on - I mean, look at area around the MW drawer.

In my defense, I had no idea how the M/W would fit the space or that I would even want the drawer fronts to fill up as much space as possible.

Best of luck with your project/build skyangel23, I'll be on the lookout for pictures/posts!

• brightm
    9 years ago

What's interesting to me is what I paid attention to in the pic at first glance, and what I had to keep scrolling up to look at when people mentioned it.

First three things I noticed, in this order:
    1-drawer fronts
    2-large oval/logo on the hood
    3-outlet in the backsplash

THEN, I looked at the backsplash. Then I tried to figure out if it was a color with a wide variation or two colors of tile. I really liked the planned look of the lighter tiles.

What works? No clue. But I agree with IowaCommute that I think the color works because of the overlay and gives the feel that this is one of those funky places she described. Would I want it in my kitchen that I'll likely re-do just this once? No. Now if they were blue...