Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshw_gw

Kitchen cabinet layout advice

joshw
14 years ago

New construction, u shaped kitchen. Planning white beaded inset cabinets. I like symmetry, but want the kitchen to function well and look beautiful (not boring). Debating 45 corner uppers, and what to do with lower corners (don't think I love lazy susans??) Also leaning toward cooktop, not range as drawn, and fridge is 36" not as drawn 42". Any advice is welcome.

Where do I link picture? Link just popped up on test forum.

Comments (11)

• joshw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I belive here is the layout.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

It's easier for us to review & comment if it's embedded in the thread!

• drjgreenberg
    14 years ago

I really like the general layout. I agree with you on the lazy susans- not a fan. getting rid of them as soon as i remodel! i like a range though. how many ovens do you need? if the range and its oven would do, i would move the rf right and add more counter space. i also feel your island could be larger- deeper maybe? i also prefer ceiling height cabinets.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I agree on the corner cabs. thinking of making my base corner a dead one. not even sure about a corner upper anymore. I think it probably takes up more space than it will give me. I can only reach the first shelf of cabinets anyway.

my kitchen isn't big enough to angle across the corner area - that I like!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Overall it looks good.

* Trash b/w sink & range...good
    * DW on opposite side from the range...good
    * Plenty of workspace b/w the range & sink...good
    * A nice clear island that should give you plenty of workspace...good
    * 15" overhang on island counter...very good!
    * Real hood instead of an over the range MW hood...very good!

You might consider moving the cabinets, range, & counters over another 6" toward the doorway. That would give you a 30" cabinet to the right of the range to match the 30" to the left and, more importantly, give you an 18" cabinet to the right of the range instead of a 12". You can then also make that cabinet another drawer base if you'd like.

My one negative is that blind corner unit. I really think you should consider a super susan in that corner. (See my previous post.) I wouldn't leave it an empty corner either, you don't have so much storage space that you can afford to give up that much room...unless you have a large pantry elsewhere...

Speaking of range...you appear to have a range plus two ovens...is one of those a MW? If not, do you really need 3 ovens? Also if not, where is your MW?

If you have two wall ovens then I would definitely switch to a cooktop...

You could put a 24" MW drawer in the island instead of the 3-drawer base. There will also be a regular drawer beneath it.

Some storage ideas:
    * Tray space will work best over the ovens...that's where most trays will be used...cookie sheets, pizza pans, cooling racks, roasting pans, etc.
    * Platters on the shelf beneath the tray items (in the same cabinet).
    * Heavier items like casserole dishes will work well stored in the drawer beneath the ovens.
    * Small appliances in the corner base cabinet b/w the sink & refrigerator
    * Dishes & glasses in uppers next to the left of the refrigerator

Hmmm...in the elevation view, the island looks like a "barrier island"...a barrier b/w the range & refrigerator. However, in the flat layout it doesn't appear to be a barrier...which is correct?

Your aisles appear wide enough...around 42" it looks like.

Is your refrigerator a built-in? Or, is it a counter-depth? If CD, then know that your refrigerator, once you add the doors & handles, will actually be around 30" deep.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Are you tall? Getting into the angled uppers could be hard if you're not. I prefer a hinged door on a 90-degree angle. That way the shelves are open to your reaching hands. Some people used the angled ones for small appliances and other large items, however, and like them. It's really a matter of personal taste. Can you see some in a showroom, or someone's house and decide what you prefer that way?

As to the lowers, I'm very opinionated. I had three in my old kitchen. They were the pie-cut lazy susans (another 90-degree, hinged door), mounted on shelves, no center pole. If you're gonna have to have susans, this is a good way to go because as they turn outside of the cupboard so you can look and reach down, not just in. The shelves keep whatever falls off from falling through as well. I still hated them. They're fine for less used items, but to me a PITA.

I did a space study: You need a corner unit if you're doing full overlay or any kind of frameless, so the doors/drawers don't whack each other. The storage difference, however, isn't large. An angled lower with open shelves (that you have to practically crawl into to find the things in the back and sides) give you the most storage space, and actually take advantage of the corner. Supersusans that are a full circle (angled door) gain you about 20% more storage area than a true blind corner. Pie-cuts gain you 5-7%, and corner drawers (or pullouts) are about the same as if you had a blind corner, but work better with the overlay/frameless.

I'm trying corner drawers in my new kitchen and hope I'll like them. Have you seen them?

• lynaa
    14 years ago

I traded lazy susan corner cabinets for easy reach corner cabinets, and love them! The storage capacity of an easy reach cabinet is huge compared to a lazy susan cabinet, even though they both use exactly the same amount of floor space.

The lazy susan shelves were actually only 12 inches deep and could only accommodate small items like cereal boxes. The easy reach cabinet is 3 feet x 3 feet, with a 2-piece hinged corner door and stationary shelves. It uses the entire cavity and has no blind spots.

Before switching over, we had no storage for pots and pans so they were everywhere (and visible)! Just one easy reach cabinet holds ALL my cookware, including gigantic soup pots, dutch ovens, frypans, sauce pans, cake pans, pie pans, muffin tins. The only thing I can't get in there are cookie sheets.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Welcome Lynaa! I see you just registered.

What kind of lazy susan did you have? Or, do you have a very large # of pots & pans? As I mentioned above, my lazy susan held all my pots & pans, colanders, and several other serving items. And all you had to do was rotate it and what you wanted was right there! No reaching in or rummaging through things to find what I needed.

If you're short it might not be as bad, but I'm 5'10" and I hated getting on my hands & knees to get into standard bases...it would be even worse having to rummage around a corner w/the deep/buried sides. I had enough of that w/the upper cabinet & it was only 24"x24" so the sides weren't as deep. I can't imagine a 36"x36" at floor level! (At least w/the upper I didn't have to get on my hands & knees.)

An easy reach is probably better than a blind corner, though, since at least the shelves are stationary so nothing will fall off. Were your shelves fixed or adjustable?

If you go w/either an easy reach or blind corner, I recommend only putting your seldom used items in them.

• joshw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the input! We are getting close to ordering. Fridge is counterdepth french door. Doing induction cooktop, wall oven/convection micro. Drawers below cooktop for pots/pans. Still debating corners on lowers--will be used for seldom used items--maybe some small appliances. THanks for taking the time to review our layout!