Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovethecricket

Please help us choose our fridge!

lovethecricket
10 years ago

Hi everyone! We just bought our first house and we need a refrigerator. What do you recommend as a fridge for a family of 4 that will most likely not break down, has lots of room for fresh produce, has an ice maker, doesn't feel like the shelves and drawers will break as soon as we use them, can fit into a space that is 36" deep and about 38" wide. I have been perusing these forums for awhile, as well as Consumer Reports (I know some folks don't trust them) and our choice is about as clear as mud. We can spend up to $2500, but we would like to spend less. I have looked at quite a few and read about many more. I was excited about the Kenmore Elite 72093, which we could afford with the current sale, but after reading reviews, not sure it will last. Thanks so much for your help and insight and let me know if you need more info to offer suggestions.

Comments (7)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Love my Elux - it is about 3-4 years old. I snagged it with a rebate for less than that and even upgraded to the LED lights and perfect temp drawer.
    It is a FD Counter Depth version.
    I have an ice machine in the freezer but opted out of the ice through the door.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I have only had my jennAir counter depth since Tuesday. It is perfect for us but wouldn't be large enough for a family of four.

My usual appliance store who I buy my rental property appliances from swears by Electrolux/Frigidaire as being less prone to repairs. I bought a front load washer and dryer from him last year and it was a Frigidaire. It works great and is very attractive.

• Ashe42
    10 years ago

We just bought a Samsung which got good reviews and applause from several stores; it has plenty of room but actually sticks out more than I'd like now I see it installed. Dual something or others. (Cooling things!) Cost about $1400 with a good sale and price matching. I hate Whirlpool as every appliance I've ever had by them has been lousy. I refuse ever to buy anything by Whirlpool again.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

It seems that different models of a brand can perform differently. My Whirlpool has been trouble free and efficient since 1996; the shelves (glass no-spill, same design used currently) are sturdy and easy to clean. But, this is an 18cf, 30" machine. A new model that fits your space may not perform as well.

If I had the space and a family of 4, I would invest in a separate freezer. Otherwise, I wouldn't need a much larger fridge.

• miss_kenda
    10 years ago

WE got a french door Samsung from Lowes. i buy there because they will price match and their service contracts are cheap and honestly things just aren't made like they used to be. We like it so far it has the external pull out fridge drawer just above the freezer. WE love it

• Majra
    10 years ago

We also bought the Samsung FD, counter-depth. I have an extra fridge in the garage to keep the hungry teenagers at bay.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

We've had a CD Kenmore Elite, made by LG, for 18 mos... I like it, no problems. One of the reasons we liked it was because the dividers in the freezer are totally adjustable...some brands have fixed dividers so large trays/pans don't fit.