Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmme_gw

wood counter?

mmme
15 years ago

Now that I've been freaked out by the staining on my granite sample, I am considering other surfaces for the countertop where I want my kids to be able to do homework and crafts (thus ink, paint, etc.).

Pre-remodel, I've always been happy with a wood table that has many coats of poly on it. Has anyone used this for countertops? I don't mean regular butcher block that has to be oiled. It could be butcher block, but the key is the multiple coats of poly.

Comments (14)

• mcr1
    15 years ago

www.glumber.com/

these are the best wood tops I have ever seen, very durable finish. Don't go cheap on a wood top, they are not all created equal.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

>Don't go cheap on a wood top, they are not all created equal.

No, but Ikea has very nice butcherblock very inexpensively. Search for jenswren's posts about her counter:

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

My dear friend has an all maple kitchen, including her countertops. I don't know how thick they are, and they were poly'd. She is a big cook, and, over time, they have worn, but they can be refinished just like a hardwood floor. They are beautiful and warm, and they haven't stained.

• cooksnsews
    15 years ago

I'm getting solid maple for my counters. There is a custom wood place locally that makes them, and they are gorgeous, with 11 or so coats of lacquer on them.

We had solid ash cabs & counters in our first house 25 years ago, and loved them. We sanded and poly'd them ourselves. You can't cut on them, and they have to be protected from hot pots, just like laminate surfaces. But otherwise, wood is durable, functional, and beautiful.

• mcr1
    15 years ago

the grothouse lumber finish is a polyester marine grade finish, the finish makes the difference, also their tops are finished on the underside as well, look at their website or go to a showroom that carries their tops, If you are going through the expense of tops you should go for a high quality product, also take a look at paperstone, if you want something unique.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    15 years ago

I had a kitchen table, worktop height, that I used for 10 years - I stained and varnished it myself, with polyurethane. I put 8 coats on the worktop surface and it held up beautifully. I love the table to much, it's being incorporated into the new kitchen, albeit with a new oiled butcher block top. I sanded down the frame today, and primed it to match the cabinet paint.

The old top? I put new legs from Ikea on it, and now have a new table in the basement.

I suspect 4/5 coats would have been enough, but I got carried away at the time.

• mmme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sara the Brit and others who coated your counters with lacquer/poly, did you use regular poly or something special?

I know it won't be scratch or heat-proof, but I've decided to put granite around my stove and sink for that. On the island, I'm really looking forward to STAIN RESISTANCE!

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    15 years ago

I used regular polyurethane.

• amoretti
    15 years ago

I've been living with a cheap wood counter (with polyurethane) that came with my house-bought 18 years ago. It seems to be made out of oak flooring. Anyway, we are finally remodeling (since the cabinet shelves are crumbling to dust) and-guess what!--my dh has sanded the counter and finished with mineral oil. It looks great.

• beantownrenovator
    15 years ago

I don't know anything about them as I've never had them in my home, but I was toying with getting them in my bar area and was in SHOCK at the price of them. Upwards of $150/sf without installation or templating. I called atleast 5 places for prices and was disappointed with my findings.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

You can buy enough ikea bb for your whole kitchen for that, beantown! Of course, you have to do the finishing, cutting, joining yourself or find someone to do it for you, but it shouldn't be *that* much.

• cooksnsews
    15 years ago

Well, beantowner, just like in the granite biz, I'm sure some suppliers are more costly than others. The local place who is supplying my maple tops quoted me $3500 installed, while a similar granite job would be over $5000. I hope my guys aren't reading this or they may up their prices before I get my order in!

• beantownrenovator
    15 years ago

yes cooksnews-I'm with you-I called ten places for caeserstone and got a $30/SF differential in price...unreal. I did call 5 places for wood counters all over the country, so consider yourself getting a very good deal!!

writers block - we wanted a little something more elegant than the ikea (no offense to ikea at all) as it is for a formal bar area...but even the cheapest wood block from any of the custom places were super $$.

• november
    15 years ago

I have a butcher block island and also a wood kitchen table with poly on it. The table is where we do crafts - paint, crayon and marker wipe right off. Can't do that stuff on my island.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES