Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hpxmirage

Comment on Draft Kitchen Design

hpxmirage
13 years ago

DW and I are working with a home designer (not a KD) for a new house, and this is an extract from his plan, showing kitchen layout, adjacent Butler's Pantry and Dining Room. Looking for comments/suggestions primarily on design, will probably re-post same graphic in Appliances forum, as I'm undecided on a couple of those, too. We both cook and enjoy cooking together, so we've tried to make this kitchen workable for more than one person at a time.

Sink will go in the corner for view (and thanks to igoloochic for her generous reply to a question about her kitchen with same). We expect to put some transom windows above the cabinets for more light in the kitchen (left wall faces south, window to right of sink faces west).

DW doesn't see need for a prep sink, I'm not so sure - I've put a placeholder near island corner where I think one would be useful. I have a large Boos maple cutting board (about 24 x 20 x 2) that I have on my current island, with my knives in a maple block behind it. Think this would go directly across from range, with sink to left of it. Two smaller Boos blocks can come out when necessary for additional, concurrent prep. Thoughts on desirability/placement/brand of prep sink and faucet?

We're going with a free standing fridge (large Samsung) for a variety of reasons. Saw another thread recommending having adjacent counter depth brought out to 30 inches for something of a built-in look. Like the idea, but it would make one big countertop between fridge and sink.

Already have a serviceable EuroCave Compact wine keeper (180 bottles, at least in theory), so we've carved out a space in the Butler's Pantry for that. Only appliance in the BP I can think of for now.

DW wants wall-mounted microwave (dislikes complexity of something like Miele Speed Oven - might have to do both). :-) Space enough to north of range for 1,2,3 wall-mounted ovens. Think that, especially if I go 48 inches on LP range, that either micro or speed and a single electric wall mount (24-27") is adequate.

Thoughts on placement in general, under counter things besides drawers? How to gain best usage from island under granite? Shelving, at least one trash pull-out?

Been a lot of places and done a lot of neat things in 58 years, but I'm a stone virgin when it comes to kitchen design, and am continuously amazed at the expertise, creativity and generosity of the members of this recently-discovered forum. I'm giving the SEARCH function a workout these days!

Thanks and best regards,

Buck

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (10)

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Prep sink is definitely called for in this plan, since it would require laps around the island to get from sink to stove with dripping veggies, and to empty a heavy pot of boiling water off noodles, etc? Good call on location for current fridge spot.

However, you have wall extending past the front of the fridge which will keep the door hinged on the left from opening all the way...in order to get drawers out, etc, this could be a problem. IF the handle lands in the opening of the doorway, it might be all right...but you'll want to check your particular fridge of choice.

The other problem with the fridge location is that family or guests may want to get a beverage or snack from the fridge, but they'll have to come clear through the work areas of the kitchen to do so. Something to consider. It might be nice to have the fridge where you have the ovens and switch the prep sink to that end of the island. The ovens could then go across the aisle on the right hand wall section, maybe creating a baking center there?...With great access to island and prep sink for baking projects.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

The fridge location is kind of six of one half dozen of another, if the guests come through the dining room, its out of the way of the business end of the kitchen, but they would have to pass through the entire kitchen from other entries.

I agree that this kitchen calls for a prep sink. The island is awfully large to not have some diffentiated functions.

I don't care for oven doors opening into a doorway.

• pence
    13 years ago

remember to put a 9 or 12" cabinet between sink and DW so you can open Dw all the way without it hitting your legs. Personally, if it was my kitchen, i would want some stools at the center island bec I think if I'm cooking, people are going to come in there anyway instead of sitting way over a the raised bar, the raised bar might be better for serving meals and keeping people out of the kitchen at that time

• hpxmirage
    Original Author
    13 years ago

rhome410 and palimpsest, thank you both. DW is now completely on board with prep sink! :-)

Will definitely find out about that protruding wall at the left edge of the fridge - would not do to have the travel blocked. I think that should be workable.

As far as the fridge location, seems like it IS six of one or a half dozen of the other. I'll work up some alternatives and post them, though.

Any more ideas re: island or butler's pantry? :-)

Thanks again!

• holligator
    13 years ago

I agree that a prep sink is a must in your layout. You'll also want a pullout trash in the island. Your butler's pantry will be wonderful. If you entertain a lot, you might want to think about a warming drawer and ice maker in there.

You might want to think about a spacer or small cabinet between the sink and the DW. At that angle, you could feel really hemmed in at the sink by the open DW door.

Whether the fridge and oven should be switched depends, to me, on how often you plan to use your dining room and what's through the other doorways. I assume that the family room is on the other side of the raised bar area--right? If so, either fridge location could work for snackers. If the family room is to the right (through the door next to the ovens), you'll be annoyed because all the fridge traffic will go through the cook's area. If you eat most meals in the dining room, I think having the ovens near the BP door would be far more convenient for carrying hot dishes from the oven to the table. It does also turn that stretch of counter between the ovens and the sink into a perfect baking zone. No matter where the fridge ends up, I prefer your location for the prep sink. It's convenient to the stove without being in the way.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Comments on the new plan: If you move the fridge where the oven was, I'd move the prep sink down to that end of the island to be closer to it and baking area. I use my sink A LOT for my baking projects. Is there a reason you have the oven over to the left on that run instead of on the end? I'm afraid that little counter on the end will only be a stuff-catcher instead of much real use.

I agree with everyone about having a little cab between sink and dw. Draw the dw open and a circle for a person standing at the sink and note the overlap that could be very uncomfortable.

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

I'd leave the ref where you show it - or move it towards the cleanup sink just a little. I'd want to move the oven stack to the blank wall between the seating and the next doorway. If you're planning a warming drawer, leave it near the cooktop.

I agree that the sink should be at the opposite side of the island and to add space between the dw and the sink.

The only other thing I'll say is some people have implemented a scullery - an area to do dishes and small tasks instead of what we think of as a cleanup area. You could do this in the butlers pantry and open the "front" of your kitchen a bit more (guessing that's the family room). Somehow, it feels kinda cramped with the 36"(smallest) - 42"(largest) aisles.

• hpxmirage
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Will reply in detail this evening to the new comments and questions, for which I thank each of you - great feedback!

• hpxmirage
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pence and others, yes, the DW needs to be somewhat removed from the main sink. I don't have the ability to manipulate that part of the image but have made a note to myself on my working hard copy, thanks.

Holligator, thanks for the ideas about the pantry. I've wondered about a warming drawer, but I must confess that I am really dubious about an essentially $1K expediture when I'm going to have at least one large gas oven (one large, one small if I go with the 48" range), and at least one wall-mounted electric oven (the Miele Speed Oven is proving to be something of an expensive hard sell in itself). :-) If any of you think a warming drawer is important even if you have a few ovens at hand, please say so. I don't want to have to revisit this design later. It's slightly annoying to pay roughly $1K for a little icemaker, too, but since we do entertain, it makes good sense to have one in the pantry, so we'll bite that bullet.

I saw a photo yesterday (naturally, i forgot to clip it) of a pull-out that could go under the island, holding two tall kitchen wastebaskets side-by-side - quite smart, I thought.

rhome, you're right - I was thinking of the axiom that says you should have landing space on either side of big things, but that's not much, so if I were going to have anything on the north wall, it would be on the east end of it. As it turns out, I think it will just be cabinets.

The family room is to the NW (right top) of the kitchen. I'll post a separate thread below with a link to an extract of the floorplan showing that. The eastern-most door of the kitchen is across the hall from the French doors to our bedroom. I think the fridge probably works best closer to the hallway than back in the SE corner, since anyone who wants to raid it doesn't have to traipse into the cooking/work areas to get to it.
    And I like the idea of putting the ovens where the fridge formerly was in the SE corner, closer to the pantry, the long counter on the south side of the kitchen, and the dining room.

bmore, I think the scullery idea is intriguing (I had considered a second DW in the Butler's Pantry but not certain DW would want to give up the drawer/cupboard space). I'm not getting the "cramped" observation, but would like to see how the scullery would open things up. Would you please elaborate (email me if you like)?

Thank you all!

• hpxmirage
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Extract showing relationship of kitchen to main hallway (house orients east to west) and family room.

"Grande Room" is what the designer calls our Family Room. :-)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert