Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barista9

At last, my kitchen reveal!

barista9
9 years ago

Kitchen is finally completed, just in time for the World Cup. Now we'll be able to literally put the switch to off and enjoy summer and the Brazilian party.

One of the challenges was to 'create space' in our rather small 10x10 room, and include facilities for our espresso machine (plumbed in and out).

Thanks everyone who replied to my posts, very helpful gang.

- Custom cabinetery, painted birch wood shaker doors
- topknob hardware
- Cerasgres Liverpool elongated subway tiles
- Kashmir white countertops
- Maple hardwood floors (Mirage's 'exclusive' grade)
- Miele dishwasher
- DCS dual fuel range (already owned)
- Spagna Vetro 36 inch chimney hood
- CD Jenn-air fridge with pro handles
- ELK pendants
- Elektra Sixties commercial 1 group espresso machine (already owned)
- Mazzer Super Jolly 68 mm burr grinder (already owned)

Comments (44)

• barista9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second view

• barista9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Espresso machine (6 lit boiler) which for the first time looks tiny in our kitchen!

• deedles
    9 years ago

Wow! Is that really 10x 10? It really looks bigger than that. What a beautiful kitchen! Starting with the gorgeous espresso machine of course, but also love the wall o' storage around the fridge and the island (peninsula). Overall an amazing amount of storage... nice. Your pendants perfectly echo the range hood and look to be the exact right proportions for the space. Really classy, great finishes. So, so well done!

Do you find that you use the island for prep work or are you inclined to stay between the sink and stove?

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Really great choices. I like your backsplash tiles! Congrats!

• barista9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

deedles, that's something that I thought about a lot, I wondered if not having a sink on the peninsula would detract me from using it for prep work. As it stands, if I am alone cooking (e.g., weekday supper) I am using the space between the sink and the stove. However we're are often 3 in the kitchen (our teenage daughter likes to cook too) so on week-ends it is very useful to have all this counter space and aisle space to move around.

• Kitchen_ Reno
    9 years ago

looks great - congrats!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Pretty and open! I love your peninsula. And I like your restraint with and colors - makes the whole place seem so much more spacious! Question - what's the long narrow cab above your espresso maker?

• barista9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@robotropolis, this is a flip up door, there's one also above the sink, the door can stay opened either 90 degrees or 45 degrees down. I use it to store all the accessories for the machine.

• heritagehd07
    9 years ago

Fantastic kitchen. Looks much larger than 10x10. Love the neutral color palette.

• jennifer132
    9 years ago

Lovely and serene space. I like the elongated subway. Congrats!

• smalloldhouse
    9 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful reveal. It's such a serene pretty space!

• eurekachef
    9 years ago

Really beautifully done in such a small space. I love the lighting and the organization.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Looks awesome! Everything looks perfect together! It looks like you have a ton of storage in there and the wall o' cabinets doesn't make it feel claustrophobic either! Nice job.

Is that an external doorway there between the stove wall and the peninsula?

• amck2
    9 years ago

Great job! A great workspace with a calm palette and nice finishes. Congrats & thanks for sharing.

• laurencp
    9 years ago

Beautiful!

• barista9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@MGMum That is a tall narrow window, giving to the back yard.

You're making me realize the 'wall o' cabinets' could have been imposing, but it is hidden from view by a wall from outside the kitchen (you can see the wall end on the left of the first picture I posted) which is why I probably never gave it a second thought. The focal point as we tried is the range hood 'sitting' between the two pendants from the dining area.

• renov8r
    9 years ago

This is a lovely kitchen. You must be so happy with it. I love the colours you chose for the cabinets and peninsula.
    The backsplash is understated and fits in perfectly with the rest of the kitchen. Congratulations.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Very Nice! Congratulations!

• romy718
    9 years ago

I echo pretty & serene. All your finishes look great together. I always notice crown molding & yours is lovely.
    Is your island color white like your cabinets? I can't tell if it's a shadow or a light gray/blue shade. I like the island details.
    Looks like you're all set for espresso & wine.
    Enjoy!

• sonny_h
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Congratualtions!!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

So elegant and beautiful!

• bluerdgddrs
    9 years ago

Gorgeous, you're making a strong case for peninsula vs island that I am trying to decide right now. How tall are you ceilings? It seems so open, not claustrophobic at all. Great outcome!

• browniepie
    9 years ago

It's beautiful, congrats on such a lovely space!

• hbrrbh
    9 years ago

Wow, great use of space! And is that wine storage in the island?

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Congratulations! Love your real espresso machine and the wine storage. But, you need to have "kitchen warming" party so you can fill up all those niches.

• Evan
    9 years ago

Looks great! I love the counters (we just put in the same ones). And those horizontal cabinets above the sink and espresso machine are really cool!

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

I think Brazil is going to take the whole thing!!! (but I digress). My family is totally futbol obsessed over here and every day there is betting and discussion over which team looks promising. My DD wears her green and yellow jersey every week to show her support of "her team". Ole Ole Ole! I saw Brazil play at Stanford (in California) years back and had the best time partying with the Brazilian fans in California during that time. Can you tell we're excited for the World Cup????

Ok, but now your kitchen....LOVE the coffee maker and the way you made a 10x10 space look so great. Enjoy! You did a great job. Your cubbies are great--are they wine cubbies? Even better (wink wink)

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Very nice kitchen!

• rubyclaire
    9 years ago

What a great job - your kitchen looks both beautiful and very functional!

• barista9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes this is for wine storage, there's just a few too many of them, we simply asked the KD about some wine storage and some book storage, I would have given a bit more book storage space.

@firsthouse_mp, you'll be able to find a bottle of champagne in there on the day of the final, to celebrate just like in 2006 :)

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Looks great! Call me crazy but it seems like kitchens and appliances have gotten a lot nicer than they were just a few years ago.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Very nice!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Barista, my whole kitchen is a wall o' cabinets! LOL But it doesn't feel claustrophobic to me. I'm just finally enjoying a functional kitchen. I'll be posting reveal pics when I'm done the backsplash I'm working on this week.

Mine's a narrow galley style.

You must be loving your space!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Barista - great handle for that great espresso machine!
    Wow- you packed a punch into your kitchen. I is well thought out including storage for your extra parts for your coffee machine, etc.

I couldn't do an island or a prep sink in my kitchen either - but partially solved the problem - I bring over a bowl of soapy water. a bowl of rinse water and some micro fiber towels for the few times that I need water on the far side of my kitchen.

Can't wait to see your KAW pictures - of course with some wonderful espresso!
    Congratulations.

• williamsem
    9 years ago

Very nice! I'm not going to show DH your coffee area, I didn't build in head room for him! Looks like a great space to work in!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Very nice job! I am sighing over your granite (as I do every time I see Kashmir White or River White, this must be telling me something). I love the horizontal storage cabinets.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Very pretty!! Congrats on making it through the process. I'm like raee except that it's the white cabinets that make me sigh. Next time ...

• carolmka
    9 years ago

Do you have a microwave?

• barista9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@carolmka, yes it is in the peninsula facing the dishwasher. It is a Panasonic model. Me too I kind of forget about it now that it is out of the way.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Very pretty kitchen with loads of storage. Love the wall of storage (I did that too). Love the peninsula color - what is it?

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

Wonderful use of space. And just lovely.

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

What is under that one upper cabinet above the barista area? It looks like it flips up?

• barista9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes it is a flip up above the espresso maker.
    Cabinet color is very similar to BM simply white. Ceiling and mouldings are BM cloud white. I think the yellow in the cloud white on the ceiling is reflected by the recessed lights (LEDs) to the cabinets. That is what gives them that creamy glow that is present in person also.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x