Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbb100_gw

still on countertop color scheme - brushed absolute black?

kbb100
9 years ago

Hello trusty friends,

Yes, still no decision on a countertop.

Today I was surprised by a light gray brushed absolute black. It looks like concrete, very light, and has a nice texture and nice neutral color. I am looking for something quiet for my perimeters, since I have a somewhat noisy counter height kitchen table in the middle of the kitchen.

I unfortunately can't post a picture of the sample from this computer at work (ugh).

My question is, does anyone have experience with brushed AB, specifically one that looks light gray (rather than black)?

The first salesperson told me it did not need to be sealed because AB is so hard (as we've all heard before).

The second salesperson told me without a sealer, oil would stain it (and he demonstrated as much for me). He said it must be sealed and the sealer would make it darker.

I don't want it much darker.

Does anyone have it unsealed? Or sealed with something that maintains the light color?

Or any opinion on this material?

Thanks much

Comments (12)

• kbb100
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here's a photo of the sample.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Have you looked at Caledonia or New Caledonia? It is a gray stone with lots of variation but primarily gray. Sometimes when they hone or brush granite it opens up the pores in the stone and that is why it is a bit more susceptible to staining but not THAT much more. If you seal it, it may initially look darker but when it dries out it would probably be light again after a while. Can you try it on that sample and see how it looks after a couple of days? It's very pretty. Who knew AB would be gray when brushed! I bet that is very pretty in person : ))) It's different too. Stone techs weigh in!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Very pretty. Can you apply a coat of sealer to see how it changes it?

• User
    9 years ago

Absolute Black granite should not be gray. And Absolute Black should not be sealed. That someone is saying to seal it and it stains is a red flag that this stone is fishy. Please read the article I've linked, and take a pass on that granite, and on that stone yard. The stone has been treated some time ago to falsify its appearance; then the treatment fades and fails, and the stone takes on a gray hue. You are lucky you are seeing issues before you put down your money and have all kinds of problems.

Find another stone yard; there are many good ones where you can find real untreated Absolute Black granite if that is what you like. Though it sounds like you find the gray color appealing - in that case find a true grayish granite like Virginia Mist aka Jet Mist. Virginia Mist/Jet Mist is really gorgeous honed, and is bulletproof to boot; if you want gray, get that instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article of Absolute Granite Issues to be Aware of

• kbb100
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Sahmmy, thanks so much for the article.

I guess my issue is that I don't want absolute black. I want gray. So what would be the potential problem of getting a granite that is mislabeled as AB and is actually something else? I understand that if it is artificially made to look black, it would be a problem, but what if it is left gray?

Also, the worker in the stone yard who cut me a sample told me that the sample cracked because it was a weak stone and that he would not use it for a countertop. I had thought (too wishfully perhaps) that maybe it cracked because AB is so dense it is also brittle? Not sure if that makes sense.

I did choose a virginia mist as back up. It's nice in general, but I haven't been able to find a slab I love because I don't like too many white speckles/swirls and I can't find a relatively quiet slab.

Romy718 - I am going to ask my fabricator today if he can do that and if he has opinions about keeping it gray.

Gr8day - I checked out the caledonia. Thanks for the suggestion. The overall color is right, but I don't love the pattern.

• annaship1
    9 years ago

My contractor warned me that some of his clients who installed the honed black or grey granites have complained to him about oil spots, fingerprints, and other oily marks. They come out with some soap and a bit of scrubbing, so it's not the end of the world, but it is something you should be aware of.

• User
    9 years ago

What about manmade quartz? There are so many colors to choose from, seems like you'd be able to find a nice quiet grey one.

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest quartz too. Caesarstone has one called Raven, there is an identical one by Pental which is probably a little cheaper. If you want a little lighter grey than that, I think Silestone and Quantra have those.

I also considered the brushed absolute black, but I was worried about everything mentioned above....plus I really want grey like you.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I was also going to suggest looking at engineered quartz. . . .

• kbb100
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I guess it may end up being quartz. I've been avoiding quartz because I don't love the look (it looks shiny to me even when honed) and it costs more than the AB granites. I do like the texture of the honed and brushed AB. But I can't have anything that would stain from oil, since I'll be frying on the cooktop, and splattering plenty.

• marxmail
    9 years ago

I have been trying to find a countertop as well. I found a piece of leathered steel grey... It may be something that will be a good fit. Good luck!

• amh615
    9 years ago

After having my heart set on Absolute Black granite for our remodel, we ended up getting the Caesarstone Piatra Grey. I am very happy with it. It is not black, but a dark grey with a white swirl that gives it a marble look instead of the 'sparkly' granite look. For practical purpses it seemsed like a better choice for our family, and I don't regret it.