Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nap101

Crown moldings-show me your simple options

nap101
11 years ago

I have worked on my kitchen plan and am now considering the crown moldings. I don't like any of the options that I see so far, in pictures or in reality, but maybe I just haven't looked enough. most are way too detailed for my space. Or way too simple.

My house is small and simple with a cottage feel. Here is a picture of the dining area adjacent to the kitchen for feel. Notice the rounded frames around the window and doors which is consistent with the rest of the house:

I will be removing that wall between the dining room and kitchen.

Here is my current design from a similar angle:

What would you recommend for crown molding?

Comments (9)

• badgergal
    11 years ago

I used a simple square step crown in my kitchen maybe you could do something similar but have the top piece of crown rounded to match your window and door framing. Here's a close up of my crown

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

I've got simple board and cove on mine, to match my own simple bungalow window and door trim. Sorry, I don't have a better photo on hand, but you get the idea:

Do try to match your current house molding if at all possible. In my experience, compared to the prices that commercial cabinetry companies demand for molding, it's comparatively inexpensive to have matching crown custom cut at a woodshop, as long as you do all of it at once. (They charge one set-up fee no matter how much you'll be having done.) Since you'll be painting your cabinetry (I think?), you can have it made in a more inexpensive wood like pine or alder.

Enjoy! Your plans look lovely so far.

• nap101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I agree that I want to keep the integrity of the existing architecture, and I like both of your options. I do plan on designing it myself.

• lanval
    11 years ago

I used cove moldings. Three different sizes, for ceiling, top and bottom of cabinets.

• nap101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lanval,
    That's a nice simple alternative but with a little bit of flare. I like it.

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

I'm all about simple yet elegant. Much of my home has a bit of a zen feel to it.

This is in our kitchen.

This is crown molding we used in our guest bedroom. Forgive the low light level. The overhead lighting in our guest bedroom just went on the fritz and we have guests right now so I didn't want to climb over their stuff to open the curtains. But you can get the idea at least.

Jodi-

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I actually used baseboard upside down for crown, at the suggestion of my contractor. I wanted to do an even simpler cove molding, but it wouldn't quite cover the gap we needed it to.

lanval, I love what I can see of your kitchen! Do you have more pictures posted somewhere?

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Until I saw Badger's, I though this was about as simple as one could get:

• lanval
    11 years ago

Nap101 -- thank you. I had to keep it pretty simple with this tiny kitchen/low ceiling.

jessicaml -- interesting idea about the upside down baseboard!
    There may be a few pics of mine around in various topics. No Here's My Kitchen thread, though. Always meant to take some nicer pics, never found time. Maybe I ought to just throw together a post of the pics I have.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!