Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pumpkinhouse

What components make up your dream kitchen?

pumpkinhouse
10 years ago

I've read here and there what brands ppl consider to be the ultimate this or that...dishwasher, fridge, etc. What products would you put in your dream kitchen?

Range (or cooktop/ovens)
Fridge
Dishwasher
Microwave
Countertops (probably not a brand name here, but type)
Cabinets
Floor
Backsplash
Lighting
Sink
Faucet
Any misc appliance/item not listed above

Can be more than one...like first choice is the ultimate, no budget choice, but options two and three would be pretty sweet also.
I don't have a list of my own yet. I am renting with contractor-grade everything, so I have no first hand experience with my dream kitchen.

Comments (7)

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

Granite counter tops. A huge fridge (our new house will be 15+ miles from a decent grocery store). A microwave that is NOT an over the range model.

Dh and I really don't have big expectations for our new house. We keep saying that our mothers raised families in horrible (by today's design standards) kitchens - horrible layouts, old fashioned laminate counter tops, and they didn't seem to mind. We don't plan on anything high end by most standards. But what we will have - to us, it's going to be a big wow!

But in regard to your post - if you are planning to build, I think now is the time to start brainstorming, asking for ideas here and also looking at what other people have in their homes. Many of our kitchen/house ideas haven't worked. But many of them have been keepers and will make our house very unique!

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Anything modern Mick De Guillio does. With one of this trademark Asian armoire fridges and his patented sink.

• cawaps
    10 years ago

The first thing I thought of was to have the sink, range and refrigerator all in the same room.

That is sad. Very sad.

Maybe I should be more ambitious.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

At the moment, a working sink, lol! Soon enough, I just have to be patient.

I think there might have been a similar thread a while back, this list feels familiar while typing.

-counter height bump out window (exact design TBD)
    -zoneless induction cooktop with seperate oven/speed oven (probably Advantium, but I haven't been able to try mine yet, definitely would have some sort of speed oven though)
    -raised DW (probably would try a Miele, but love my GE so far)
    -lighting, definitely happy with my Ecosmart recessed LEDs and Maxlite UCL, would definitely stick with those
    -great hood (happy with my new Kobe so far, but as long as it is quiet, powerful enough, LED light, baffles, and good capture area I'd consider others)
    -nice faucet, like a Waterstone or other high quality line
    -frameless cabinets (love them!), I'd consider Bellmont again, but the more expensive door, quite possibly walnut, more bells and whistles
    -cork floor again, it feels great, though it's only been in for a few weeks. I'd love to be able to make the hexagon tiles from Globus work!
    -cant comment on the Franke Orca sink until Monday, but I'm pretty sure it will kick a$$ and I'd want another one

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Cawaps- LOL! The simple things are always the best :)

I'd like to have all four burners working at the same time! Also, if I could start fresh, I'd have a large enough kitchen to have a table to eat and a little seating area by a fireplace. The rest doesn't seem as important, as long as it all works....and is in the same room.

• friedajune
    10 years ago

- a 48" fridge, by SZ or Miele
    - countertops that are 30" deep instead of the standard 24" deep
    - a 36" sink (must be a single bowl, not an Orca, not a low divide, but the luxury of a huge single bowl), plus a prep sink, with a batch feed disposal in each one.
    - granite countertops which I have now; they're so great--both beautiful and bullet-proof--I wouldn't change them for anything.
    - Bluestar 36" rangetop with Gaggenau wall ovens
    - one of these custom hoods from Handcrafted Metal, not sure whether I'd choose copper, pewter or zinc.
    - all the Demeyere cookware I want.
    - pendant light from Brass Light Gallery in some gorgeous finish.

- walnut cabinets, you know, the way Christopher Peacock does it:

This post was edited by akchicago on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 9:26

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

My kitchen will be modest in GW terms but I am looking forward to a hood over the range (going gas instead of electric) instead of a MW hood and having a space that is not cramped making it more workable. Currently if you have the oven open you can't walk by, the fridge open - same thing can't walk by and if the DW is open you can't get to the sink! Too many traps!

So in short a better layout.