Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What components make up your dream kitchen?

Posted by pumpkinhouse (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 19:47

I've read here and there what brands ppl consider to be the ultimate this or that...dishwasher, fridge, etc. What products would you put in your dream kitchen?

Range (or cooktop/ovens)
Fridge
Dishwasher
Microwave
Countertops (probably not a brand name here, but type)
Cabinets
Floor
Backsplash
Lighting
Sink
Faucet
Any misc appliance/item not listed above

Can be more than one...like first choice is the ultimate, no budget choice, but options two and three would be pretty sweet also.
I don't have a list of my own yet. I am renting with contractor-grade everything, so I have no first hand experience with my dream kitchen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What components make up your dream kitchen?

Granite counter tops. A huge fridge (our new house will be 15+ miles from a decent grocery store). A microwave that is NOT an over the range model.

Dh and I really don't have big expectations for our new house. We keep saying that our mothers raised families in horrible (by today's design standards) kitchens - horrible layouts, old fashioned laminate counter tops, and they didn't seem to mind. We don't plan on anything high end by most standards. But what we will have - to us, it's going to be a big wow!

But in regard to your post - if you are planning to build, I think now is the time to start brainstorming, asking for ideas here and also looking at what other people have in their homes. Many of our kitchen/house ideas haven't worked. But many of them have been keepers and will make our house very unique!

o

Anything modern Mick De Guillio does. With one of this trademark Asian armoire fridges and his patented sink.

o

The first thing I thought of was to have the sink, range and refrigerator all in the same room.

That is sad. Very sad.

Maybe I should be more ambitious.

o

At the moment, a working sink, lol! Soon enough, I just have to be patient.

I think there might have been a similar thread a while back, this list feels familiar while typing.

-counter height bump out window (exact design TBD)
-zoneless induction cooktop with seperate oven/speed oven (probably Advantium, but I haven't been able to try mine yet, definitely would have some sort of speed oven though)
-raised DW (probably would try a Miele, but love my GE so far)
-lighting, definitely happy with my Ecosmart recessed LEDs and Maxlite UCL, would definitely stick with those
-great hood (happy with my new Kobe so far, but as long as it is quiet, powerful enough, LED light, baffles, and good capture area I'd consider others)
-nice faucet, like a Waterstone or other high quality line
-frameless cabinets (love them!), I'd consider Bellmont again, but the more expensive door, quite possibly walnut, more bells and whistles
-cork floor again, it feels great, though it's only been in for a few weeks. I'd love to be able to make the hexagon tiles from Globus work!
-cant comment on the Franke Orca sink until Monday, but I'm pretty sure it will kick a$$ and I'd want another one

o

Cawaps- LOL! The simple things are always the best :)

I'd like to have all four burners working at the same time! Also, if I could start fresh, I'd have a large enough kitchen to have a table to eat and a little seating area by a fireplace. The rest doesn't seem as important, as long as it all works....and is in the same room.

o

- a 48" fridge, by SZ or Miele
- countertops that are 30" deep instead of the standard 24" deep
- a 36" sink (must be a single bowl, not an Orca, not a low divide, but the luxury of a huge single bowl), plus a prep sink, with a batch feed disposal in each one.
- granite countertops which I have now; they're so great--both beautiful and bullet-proof--I wouldn't change them for anything.
- Bluestar 36" rangetop with Gaggenau wall ovens
- one of these custom hoods from Handcrafted Metal, not sure whether I'd choose copper, pewter or zinc.
- all the Demeyere cookware I want.
- pendant light from Brass Light Gallery in some gorgeous finish.

- walnut cabinets, you know, the way Christopher Peacock does it:

This post was edited by akchicago on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 9:26

o

My kitchen will be modest in GW terms but I am looking forward to a hood over the range (going gas instead of electric) instead of a MW hood and having a space that is not cramped making it more workable. Currently if you have the oven open you can't walk by, the fridge open - same thing can't walk by and if the DW is open you can't get to the sink! Too many traps!

So in short a better layout.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here