Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christymck

Help with Backsplash for Vintage Kitchen

ChristyMcK
9 years ago

Hi. We are doing a kitchen refresh and are struggling with picking a new backsplash. The range will be a French Blue (navy) Lacanche Volnay (same size as range shown). We have a 1950s red/white formica table with red vinyl chairs (in the distance) and our artwork is vintage french with both reds and blue.

So, what color should the backsplash be? We were thinking of blue+white mediterrean style hand painted cement tiles framed behind the range with white lantern/arabesque for the rest of it, but would it be too much white to have the rest of the backsplash all white tile? Will the white look okay with the cream kitchen?) Are framed tiles dated? Are lanterns trendy? Most backsplashes I see now days are the same throughout without a framed section above the range.

I almost think a blue/white pattern tiled for the whole backsplash would look good but would it be too busy? The range side backsplash is 23" high. The sink side is only 14". Thoughts, opinions, suggestions welcome.

Ideas for behind the range (@$35 a pop they are too expensive for the whole backsplash)
http://www.fireclaytile.com/handpainted/detail/jardin-fretwork?color=cool-motif
http://www.fireclaytile.com/handpainted/detail/malta?color=cool-motif

lantern style tile:
http://www.fireclaytile.com/tile/patterns/detail/paseo

Comments (12)

• excarolinagirl
    9 years ago

Maybe you could take a photo of the tiles for the various backsplash scenarios and blow up the photos to the size of the actual backsplash. Then tape up the photos and try them out in the actual space.

One option: use color for the centerpiece of the backsplash surrounded by cream tiles. I personally love cream and white kitchens.

BTW, I love your cabinets. I wish the former owners of my 1957 ranch had kept the original cabinets instead of replacing them with 1990s oak veneer ones...

• cawaps
    9 years ago

When I saw your mid-century vibe I thought of the tiles in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mission Tile West

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Pictures of tiles mentioned

{{!gwi}}

I would look for a MCM tile backsplash. Maybe also just color behind the range and white for the rest.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

" Are framed tiles dated? "

That made me chuckle. They are probably too modern for your vintage kitchen.

I would do one tile throughout. It doesn't look like you have much area to tile, so maybe you could get away with a more colorful or patterned tile, but these don't feel like they are appropriate for the simplicity and time period of the cabinets. What is your counter going to be?

This might be a good question for Home Decor since some really know period styles. Some are big into MCM too.

• ChristyMcK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cawaps: thanks for the link - I hadn't seen that tile company before!

nosoccermom: thanks for posting the photos! I can't decide between a Midcentury feel (it's not a MCM b/c it's not modern) and a vintage french feel. I do actually like the lanterns though - probably more than most options I've seen. Can I call it MC mediterranean? LOL

may_flowers: chuckle on! it's all about perspective, huh? now that I think about it I can see how you have the opposite view. counter is staying the same - crazy as it is, I like the white vintage laminate. I'm not totally in love with the butcher block b/c my cast iron stains it, but I'm learning to live with it and maintain it. On the range side the back splash is 30" above the range and 23" tall elsewhere. On the sink side it's only 14" tall.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Here's a pic with cream cabinets & white tiles.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Tabarka makes beautiful vintage tiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tabarka Studio

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What are you going to do above the range? A hood?

Some random possibilities

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Another idea: white tile with a border

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchens

• ChristyMcK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

romy: Tabarka tiles are gorgeous. They say on their spec sheet they aren't ideal for behind a range without protection (which we won't have). I wonder it that's a terra cotta feature - I'll check with Ann Sacks which carries Tabarka and are here locally.

nosoccerrmom: do you know where the 3rd photo is from? I love the red and blue - it might tie in nicely with the art (one pic attached). We are putting in a under cabinet retro vent-a-hood - it will be stainless steel (http://www.ventahood.com/hoodmodels.jsp?id=62) (I need to learn how to attach more than one photo!). We will have more backsplash once we do this since some of the cabinetry will come down. There will be ~30" between range and hood.

We are leaning toward some sort of small patterned tiles with blue and offwhite thinking encaustic or cement, probably 6x6. The 8x8 is awfully large for our 14" sink side backsplash. I found Original Mission Tile which has a nice selection and you can customer order color. They are located in Mexico though and I'm not sure about customer service.

I'm beginning to think we should not rush it and maybe even wait until the range is in before we decide. Anyway, I don't think I appreciated how much of a process this is! My mom is also doing a kitchen refresh and she is having just as much trouble deciding on a backsplash.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Yes, see below. Linked from a "Parisian kitchen" but turns out that they are Turkish tiles :)

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Can't offer any help, but man, all those tiles are gorgeous!