Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dura Ceramic

Posted by LAdancer (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 19:38

Does anyone have experience with Dura Ceramic flooring by Congoleum? My husband thinks it is much more practical and durable than Marmoleum. It is a harder surface but what I'm wondering is if it is just as hard on the feet and legs as tile if it is called "ceramic?" If you have experienced this, would you let me know? I know Marmoleum has a soft feel. Does the Dura Ceramic tiles have any give at all? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dura Ceramic

If you search on the flooring forum, you'll see lots of negative reviews about Duraceramic - but we put it in anyway, 10 months ago. It's actually made of limestone, not ceramic. Installation is a lot easier than tile - we put ours over sheet vinyl. It just needs to be level.

I like it a lot - it definitely has more "give" than a tile floor, and it reflects heat well, so feels warm underfoot (we're a shoes-off family). So far it has held up well, and I like the look.

photo IMG_0906_zpsda2a0479.jpg

o

I don't have any experience standing for long periods on vinyl tile floor, but we used Armstrong Alterna in a guest bath. It too has a limestone base with a vinyl wear layer. I have porcelain tile in my kitchen, which doesn't bother my legs or back. I don't think you'll see much difference in hardness between LVT and ceramic tile. Maybe because annkh's is installed over vinyl she feels some give. They removed the sheet vinyl when they installed ours.

Your comfort should come before your husband's practicality. If you are the one who spends most of the time in the kitchen, you should get what you want. Some husbands don't think of a kitchen as a work zone so they don't understand why we need the proper tools to do our job.

o

I looked at all the vinyl tiles and the Mannington Adura line gets the best reviews and there are some nice patterns, Armstrong gets good reviews also and the Duracermic not so good. Read there is a chipping problem with it.

We ended up getting Shaw Array vinyl tiles. They are 100% vinyl and not the limestone base as the other other and chose a pattern that wasn't as busy as most. Installed and grouted just this week and I like it a lot. Feels velvety soft when in bare feet.

o

We have it in a bathroom and I love it. It doesn't feel cold like tile and it has a touch more give.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here