Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boymom23

Can y'all tell me if this Backsplash is too crazy?? or not right?

boymom23
10 years ago

We're down to the last month of our build. Cabinets get installed this week. Perimeter cabinets are off white (SW Alabaster) and the island is walnut. My house is very classic in design, and now the backsplash is causing me pause. My countertops are Cambria Windermere. Anyway, I want off white subway tile backsplash, but I wanted something to jazz it up a bit so the kitchen doesn't look too white. (Walls are Revere Pewter.) SO, here's what I'm thinking but now wonder if it's too funky or doesn't go. The tiles are shown here in pic, but I think the first row needs to be the white subway tile, then the row of crushed glass tile. Will this make the backsplash too linear looking? Go ahead, fire away! (I think I can stop the order at the tile store, ha!)

Comments (24)

• boymom23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another photo that may help. (Ignore the super white granite on the very bottom, that's the tile store table.) Here you can see my wood sample of the cabinets in white, and the windermere quartz sample.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

I like it. That crushed glass tile is pretty, and it's a nice color that goes well with the Windemere and should look nice with walnut, too. I don't think it will be too busy, either.

• nuggly
    10 years ago

I have been stuck on the backsplash for a while now...ended up just taking a break from it. I am looking at the same crushed glass in a color called Acorn, paired with an ivory subway. My tile store ordered a sample of the Acorn, and of course it came in looking a lot different from the original store sample I fell in love with. Apparently there is a big color variation with this tile. Another thing to consider is that this tile is thicker than most subway ceramic tile, which could be an installation nightmare. It also needs to be sealed (not that big of a deal I think). I am once again at a loss for the backsplash! Never thought it would be this hard!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I hope not too crazy - I had the same issue - just thought I needed to pull it together. So, I say - We all are not crazy..
    Cambria Buckingham
    Grazia Rixi Crema
    Plus Beach mosaic

Turns out it was meant to be - on the sink side - the 5x5 fits just under the windowsill with a row of beach!

Sink area

Another view

Cooktop area
    {{!gwi}}

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Southern, I think the crushed glass looks stunning, very classic with a twist. Love, love, love it!

A2, I just love seeing pics of your kitchen and that beautiful faucet.

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

Gemini....that looks fantastic!

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I like your combination. I did classic white subways with 3 pencil liners (2 blue with a pewter rope between then) running together in one band about 2/3 of the way up. My blue ties in with a wall of blue cabinets on another wall, so I put it up higher to be seen. It's even more liner than what you are talking about and I've never been unhappy with it. I think yours can go high or low and look great.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

I have been looking at the same tile for DS2's place! I think it offers the right amount of interest. Trying to convince him to go see sample in person.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

I think it would look great.

I, too, have been agonizing over my backsplash decision. I decided I'm waiting until its all installed at the end of the week and then decide on the backsplash.

Good luck!

A2- beautiful combination!

• boymom23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm so glad to hear y'all like it! Yay!! Gemini, so pretty!

• Fori
    10 years ago

I like it. It's sparkly but not glitzy and the color is right. It's subtle enough to be in an adult kitchen but fun enough when you get close.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Southern- thanks. I really like your combo with your canbria. Looking forward to seeing it installed! Us northerners like it as well!!

Thanks to all for the compliments. I wasn't sure about posting but thought it would help re-assure Southern.

• Sherrie Moore
    10 years ago

I love the combination too! I especially love the crushed glass tile. I have chosen the same thing for part of my backsplash. Please post pictures when you get the backsplash up!!

• boymom23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate your input! SO glad to have this last decision of the building process OVER! :)

• kksmama
    10 years ago

a2gemini: So, I say - We all are not crazy..

Um...the combinations of color/material are gorgeous, the layouts are designed to maximize the ergonomics of every prepping/cooking/cleaning movement, the wealth of knowledge shared monthly surpasses the content of a college course (and I've studied more here than I ever did in school). So of course we are not crazy ;)

• Anne Harris
    10 years ago

I think it will look great--what tile is the crushed glass ? It's really stunning!

• Sherrie Moore
    10 years ago

Someone wanted to see my crushed glass backsplash when it was completed. I only used it on one part of my kitchen. Can't wait for the under cabinet lights to be hooked up to highlight it!

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I think it looks fabulous! Any pictures of the whole kitchen?

• Sherrie Moore
    10 years ago

Thank you badgergal. Mine isn't completed yet. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

Then I will have to learn how to post more than one picture at a time!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Beautiful, buckeyegoldenmom! What are your counters? Sure looks like my granite (gneiss) which is most commonly called Pretoria!

This morning I'm sure what I need is a gray/blue crushed glass. Yesterday it was MOP. For weeks before my granite was installed I was sure I needed honed marble subway tiles.

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I think that looks lovely. Subtle and sophisticated, very pretty.

• Sherrie Moore
    10 years ago

The granite was called Nero Forest. It might be called other names too not sure.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Looks great! Can't wait to see the rest.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Backsplash looks awesome! Post more soon :)