Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kacee2002_gw

Thoughts please

kacee2002
9 years ago

I posted our first plan and now have the latest. We are pretty pleased with this one. Kitchen may still require tweaking. Not 100% on cooktop in island. Or the see thru storage over the prep sink area. Opinions please.

Comments (10)

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

Can you add dimensions and any other details about what you want out of the space? Baker, more than one cook, small or large family? You typically get more responses with more details.

I posted a concern about your DW placement in the build forum. I am not a layout expert, it was just my personal experience. Good luck.

• jennifer132
    9 years ago

Need measurements. And I can't really read the plan, blurry and small + aging, tired eyes;(

Seems like traffic goes right though the main part of the kitchen, right by the cooktop. I would try to avoid that set up if I could.

And is that cooktop then visible to the main living area? That would be trouble for me. I make a big ol' mess when I cook.

Is that the dw perpendicular to the sink? I would trip over that stepping back from the sink. And the dw is in prep space when it doesn't have to be. I would change that set up. Seems like you have a big space but all of the good stuff is jammed in one small "u" shaped area: frig, sink, dw, cooktop.... Would you vent that cooktop?

Sorry, can't offer anything fresh. My mind is tired too.

• kacee2002
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am concerned about the DW placement and told her...that is subject to change.
    2 person household, usually one cook except holidays and such. Not often.

Another plan possibility .........

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

The scale seems off. Like how average lengths are 36" chair, 60" loveseat, 84" sofa but the shown loveseat is two chair widths, sofa is three (if chair was 36", sofa would be 108" / 9 feet instead of 7 feet).

Or master bed appears to be king (78"x80") since square yet its only 2/3 the sofa length.

I realize standard sizes can vary but not at these percentages. Luckly your have lots of room around most furntiure but the beds with nightstands both seem to be tight fit on walls theyre on - I'd check actual wall length to confirm accommodates bed widths.

Also the master bed would seem less squeeze if on the wall its facing unless youve other plans for that wall opposite bed.

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

We had a similar kitchen layout with significant difference. Our range & sink were opposite of yours. Attached is it on your kitchen. The range is core of work triangle and should be centrally located, its what connects sink and fridge. Theres otherwise little sink to fridge or fridge to sink activity so them being closest with rangetop further away seems worst scenario. Rangetop close to both best, close to one good but to neither, ouch!

Cooking uses both fridge and sink- fridge as continuing getting ingredients during process and sink as items stop being used, accumulate in sink, especially those who clean as they go along.

Wall oven ranks last, behind fridge, sink and prep area because how its used independantally. Put something in, youre usually done with it until bake times over. If oven works naturally into work triangle layout, great but low priority if not. Should not compromise rangetop access to sink or fridge nor should wall aspect cause inadequate counter / prep space. If it would, its fine to locate it just outside work triangle.

We also really appreciated counter seating location - see on chart. Very natural for conversation. Convenient for someone to help prep without having to work around them or losing counter space to them. Far side of wall oven would be nice as visual accent with it facing living area - wet bar or decorative cabinetry - or as practical if full wall storage is needed.

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

Another thought is how the master bath entry door in the corner prevents you from using the wall on opposite side of bedroom and forces the floorspace to be long and narrow, accentuating the length instead of working the room's width..

Sliding the the door out from the corner gives you back that wall, giving you more options that creates a more square-ish, less narrow floor.(photo)

Even if you kept vanity against tub, you could make it a single with room for another single on adjacent wall (photo).

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

This needs to be thrown out and you start over. You've got extremely poor traffic flow and zoning throughout the plan, and it's way too cramped in spacing. Good thing is that it's just on paper at this point!

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

I dont know about thrown out but there are defintie concerns I keep seeing. I addressed the bathroom because the layout seemed unnecessarily cramped for what seem a reasonably spacious area.

Furniture can change but clearly the chairs against the wall behind the sofa wont work, the adjacent doors cant fully open without hitting them.. As mentioned, the couch isnt propotional to the loveseat - they just added another third section which is not actual ratio, sofars are not that much bigger. If this was done professionally, I'd be concerned by how proportinal the layout truly is..

The area between kitchen and living room seem wasteful use of floor space and contrasting to the neighboring living room which seem intimate / cozy.. I like spacious but that dining room floating in such a huge area.plus the very large empty area in between it and front entrance (minus art wall) seems poor use of space and inconsisant with proprotion of living room.

PLEASE dont take any of this wrong
    Just a beautifully large area, just see things I'd anticipate would be issue or poor placement - what may not seem issue on paper until living in it or just decisions that wouldve been preferable.

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

Forgot - the second bath / bed exposure.

When leaving the shower, to enter bedroom, theres no privacy - I wouldnt want to be forced to walk past a fixed opening viewable from living dining area after leaving showering to enter bedroom. In changing that, would like for position of bedroom to allow view of what looks like a nice back yard too.

• julie1973
    9 years ago

I personally don't like the cook top where it is in the first plan. I would much rather have the sink there. And the second plan doesn't look any better as the cooktop is very far from the sink - imagine walking across all that way with a pot of cooked pasta to drain. I was going to suggest switching the cooktop and sink in the first plan and then I saw that jaynes123 did that for you. I think that looks great.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer