Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

Which brand, which retailer of knobs and pulls?

kksmama
10 years ago

I've seen that several posters used Restoration Hardware, so I'll check them out. What other companies make quality pieces, and where can I get a good deal?

Comments (44)

• ginny20
    10 years ago

I bought Berenson Hardware through my cabmaker. It's also available online if you search. The finish is very nice. I think it might be made in USA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Berenson Hardware

• repac
    10 years ago

We used Anne at Home, Notting Hill, and Carpe Diem. They weren't cheap, but all are great quality (and made in the U.S.).

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

omgosh, i'm looking too. Scouring and sampling for a brighter brushed satin nickel finish.

I'll add: Top Knobs, Baldwin Brass, RK International as some other good manufacturers.

If you're hip: a lot of buying of knobs is going on at Anthropology due to unusual fixtures. I'm not hip though...but I dropped in to see what all the excitement was about. :)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

We used Baldwin Brass. Not a large selection but I wanted solid handles.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I went with Schaub and purchased them on-line through interknobs.com. Like A2 I wanted solid brass and something beautiful but understated. I am totally happy with them.

• lwerner
    10 years ago

I think it depends a lot on what sort of look you're going for. My kitchen is somewhere between transitional and modern and I wanted simple stainless steel bar pulls. Top Kobs and Emtek were the two final candidates. I went with Emtek, partly because their size selections fit my cabinets better and partly because I trust them after having bought all my door hardware from them and being impressed with its quality.

A couple more tips: Try to find some stores in your area that carry a wide variety of hardware, so you can see a bunch of styles at once. Near me there's a plumbing store that also has a huge cabinet hardware selection, which helped a lot.

If you're buying bar pulls, the next decision will be the lengths. After I chose a style, I went to Lowes and bought some cheapo ones in a similar style and several different lengths. That way I could hold them up to the cabinets and see what worked rather than trying to do it theoretically.

Laura

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Holly - I can't wait to see your pulls. Schaub pulls were awesome! Hopefully something will go right for you!

KK- I bought mine at Baldwin brass in west reading pa and had them shipped to me. I was in their store visiting DM and they were very helpful and had excellent prices. I worked with Jason.

Then, I fell in live with Badgergal's pulls but she knocked some sense back into me when I thought about switching.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I have Hafele pulls, not on the cabinets yet but I love the weight and feel of them in my hand. Got them from Knobs-n-pulls.com; arrived 2 days after I ordered.

• annac54
    10 years ago

I bought Schaub knobs & pulls from Interknobs. The hardware if vey nice and the service and pricing from Interknobs was excellent.

• whit461
    10 years ago

In our area of central FL there were no stores that carried any stock in house or really any amount of variety. I stressed over it until some GWers brought me down from the ledge. Things I liked were hugely expensive when you multiplied the price by number needed.

Www.myknobs.com

Top knobs. Baldwin brass. Hafele.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Schaub, Jeffrey Alexander, Cliffside Industries.

Does the base metal help determine the color (brightness) of the plated top metal-in my case satin nickel? For example, with brass as base metal allow a lighter or brighter satin nickel top coat?

Looking for less dark satin nickel (Amerock and Jeffrey Alexander are more matte than satin in the samples I ordered).

Thanks for any help, really struggling to find a light SN.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Sparkling, i'm not sure about the base metal affecting the top coat but I wouldn't think so. Satin nickel will be a bit dark in appearance because it is a warm finish unlike chrome or pewter that has a true silvery color. Schaub's quality is outstanding. I believe you can return hardware to interknobs within 20 days. Also if you aren't in NY there is no sales tax and no shipping on orders over $99.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the leads. Can anyone explain what "quality" is when it comes to cabinet pulls? I'm thinking that I want a simple arc design, and solid feel with a nickel finish that looks new for as long as possible. Is there a way to assess the finish - or does the finish on most hardware last? I've been torturing my granite and sink samples.....hmm....this remodeling project is starting to bring out a scary side of me!

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

kksmama, there are at least two types of base metals which are commonly used in cabinet hardware: brass (some feel the gold standard as it's heavier and other), and zinc or zamak (is a family of alloys with a base metal of zinc and alloying elements of aluminium, magnesium, and copper) which is lighter. The chosen finish is put onto these base metals.

Brass base knobs and pulls tend to run more costly (but not always if you look around on the web) than zinc or zamac.

I've ordered some zinc/zamac samples, some of which have heft I fell comfortable with. Most were made overseas. I did spot one defect, and I've been wondering if some online sites get "seconds" thus their costs are lower.

A simple arc design pull is what I"m going to get also, with a nickel finish. I want the arc to be at least 1" in height though, so all adults can feel comfy wrapping their fingers around the pulls. I also want a collections which offers various sizes of the same pull.

Surprisingly, I heard one comment about RH finish wearing down. But being RH, I would push for them to just replace the same pull. I've seen some polished nickel pictures where the finish wore down but don't recall which manufacturer.

Hope this helps. Maybe others will chime in. While my DH wants this done, it's an important decision.

• azmom
    10 years ago

When picking pulls and knobs, it is best to try selections in person. Some look nice but feels flimsy and uncomfortable to hold.

We use IKEA's Orrnas for our hall bath cabinet. We are very happy. They match the brush nickel plumbing fixtures in the room. They are very well made, nicely finished, comfortable to use and pleasant to the eyes. The price is incredibly reasonable.

We plan to use Varnhem in other room. For a 6 inches pull, it costs $5.00 each ($9.99 for 2). A similar look Asbury Pull from restoration hardware costs $17.00 each. I saw and tried both styles in person, there is not that much difference especially to justify the huge price difference. Multiply by the number of doors on the cabinets, the saving is significant. We will use Varnhem and apply the savings toward our Appliance budget.

• westleyandbuttercup
    10 years ago

I used Schaub and ordered through knobs4less.com.

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

I used Forms & Surfaces for my cabinet and drawer pulls. I ordered from International Bath and Tile in San Diego. They are fabulous albeit very expensive. My appliance pulls (close match but not exact because Forms & Surfaces does not make appliance pulls) are by Hickory Hardware. I am not completely happy with the Hickory. I don't like how the bright nickel finish is holding up. There are permanent stains that might be from windex or another cleaning product. I called Hickory and they said you can't use cleaning products on them. Really? A refrigerator pull that you can't clean properly. I cannot recommend them.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Az, I agree - I want to touch these before I buy. Sorry about your experience, nycbluedevil, thank you for sharing it! No cleaning products? sheesh. Did you ask if it is okay to use the pulls to open drawers, perhaps the strain isn't good for the metal (insert eye roll here)?

Sparklingwater, your criteria are now my criteria. And I will patiently wait for you to figure out the best solution and then me know. Don't let your DH rush us you ;)

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I ordered Amerock through the plumbing supply place I used. I was going to buy on Amazon (or one of the many online dealers), but the price was only about $2 more each locally (which I know is a decent percentage of the price) so I went local. They were giving me great prices on everything else so I wanted to give them as much business as I could. Plus should they arrive damaged I think it would have been easier to replace.

So far I love them! Hefty feel and enough projection to be comfortable. I went with Amerock Westerly in 96 and 128 mm.

• cathy725
    10 years ago

I did amerock also--revitalize. i ordered one in each color each in a different size so I could get a great idea of which size/color I wanted and also how they felt to use. It was a really good way to make the decision.

I'm very happy with my choice.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Sparkling, the pulls that i chose were only available in 96mm, 6 inch, and appliance pull.

I ordered a knob for reference because I knew i loved the look of the pulls. I ordered 96mm for all except where I was doing knobs and my 36 inch drawers where I used 6 inch pulls and the dishwasher where I used an appliance pull. If I had ordered the 96 mm as a sample I would have saved a good bit of money because they are so hefty that I didn't need the 6 inch pulls but since they were already ordered I kept them.

Where I totally over did was using the appliance pull for my dishwasher. It was way more than I wanted to pay but I was convinced I needed a really sturdy pull for the dw. When I unboxed I thought "holy cow, this thing could be used as a deadly weapon" it is total over kill but I am using it anyway.

The point of this long rambling post is that if your hardware is hefty you may not need different sizes.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Thanks holly-key. I'm working on the approximate one-third principal of our flat drawer now, making a sketch. I dragged out that heavy Blanco Grace 2 faucet in SN and am convinced I should go with satin nickel arched pulls not my second guess of polished. The satin nickel actually goes better with my CT too (not to mention appliances). Whew, one more decision made.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

We went to San Diego Hardware where they have hundreds of pulls and knobs from simple to elaborate. we wanted to touch and feel what we intended to buy. After doing the touchy-feely thing, we decided on simple Amerock arc pulls and matching knobs.

The interesting thing is that we weren't looking at price tags, but we managed to choose hardware that was quite inexpensive. They have outrageously pricey stuff there, but it wasn't what we wanted. What looked and felt good was only $3-$4 each. Imagine that!

• Minker
    10 years ago

We purchased our pulls from Build.com. I selected the Emtek Trail style because they were solid brass and also came in a variety of sizes. We ended up replacing the pulls in the dining room to match the kitchen, so we needed 3", 4" (for the appliance garage, 6" for most drawers and cabinets, and 10" for large drawers, pantry and the garbage cabinet. We also had a coupon for an additional amount off Emtek through Build.com, which was a bonus. The pulls are very solid. We have been very happy.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Sparkling, I do love satin nickel. I wanted my hardware to be close to my faucet in finish also. There were many different pulls that I loved that were less expensive but I wanted a bronze finish. There were tons of dark oiled rubbed bronze selections but not much in a lighter bronze. It took me about five weeks of constant on line searches before I found my perfect one!

KK's what finish and style are you looking for? Take your time with your search and you will find one that you love and will be the perfect finishing touch to your cabinets!

I thinks pulls are one of the most important decisions in your kitchen because you use them every day. Also they are the jewelry for your kitchen. Good luck with your search!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

If you want a basic arch - high quality and reasonable price - I would again recommend the Baldwin - they do have a lifetime satin finish option. (I don't work for Baldwin but have been very happy with my Baldwin)
    Here are my drawer and cabinet pulls - I used 5 inch but the Antique Brass

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Since cabinet hardware is something I touch many times a day, I wanted a good feel as well as look. As soon as I saw some Rocky Mountain Hardware, and felt it at a supplier, I was sold. While not inexpensive, this is somewhere I was willing to splurge for quality and good looks. I get many compliments on my hardware, especially those that grab the appliance pulls on the refrigerator...

Here is a link that might be useful: Rocky Mountain Hardware

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love your pulls, holly-kay, I've been thinking simple arcs in various sizes with a satin nickel finish...but wavered when I saw yours. But now that sparklingwater is doing the research, I think I'm just gonna be a copycat if she will let me. I think she has white shaker cabs, too, and I know I can trust another GWer.

• FmrQuahog
    10 years ago

Hickory Hardware (Belwith) "American Diner" collection pulls and knobs will be affixed to the kitchen cabinets in our impending build. Widely available, good value.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A2, that glasses/pitcher cabinet is gorgeous! How wide is the drawer bank below it? I've been wondering if I need to consider 2 pulls per long drawer, vs. finding long pulls as I planned. Do you really use two hands to open those drawers?
    There are so many decisions to be made! When it isn't really time for one of them yet (I'm early on the pulls, we haven't even started demo) it seems like it will be so easy and uncomplicated....or at least I trick myself into believing that for a little while.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Thanks for the picture a2gemini. How pretty that is and the 5 inch arch pulls seem perfect for your lovely cabinets. No doubt that Baldwin Brass makes high quality hardware.

Still debating this cabinet hardware issue; definitely the Tortoise, not the Hare.

• ali80ca
    10 years ago

We are thinking of schaub purchased through Russell hardware in Detroit. With the discount they offered us ( for being Canadian lol) they are close in price to what I could get through Lowe's and are better quality and have matching appliance pulls

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Someone was asking about brushed brass knobs, maybe in another thread.

When I was surfing cabinet hardware tonight, I read you can take old lacquered brass knobs, throw them in boiling pitch (water) to help remove the lacquer, and then peel/brush the remainder off with a yellow scrubby or SOS.

When I looked at the photo of the old brass knob, it definitely looked "brushed". Hope she reads this. Maybe it will work.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Ooooh A2, your crystal is just lovely. I wish I had put a few glass doors on my cabs.

Kksmama I think the pulls that I used are available in nickel also. I know for sure that there is a brass finish. The two things that sold me on the casual elegance was the bronze finish and there is very subtle beading on the pull that goes well with the trim on my cabinet doors.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

KKsmama, I just checked and the schaub casual elegance is availabe in soft antique nickel, polished nickel, brass, and bronze. I love the knobs also and glad I decided to use a few.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

KK- The drawers are 42 inches wide - and I do love the big drawers but had a weight problem and still working out the issues...
    The glides will work with one or two hands (or one finger if needed) - I just try to make sure I pull out evenly and adjust for one hand. I used one pull for everything under 30 and two for larger than 30.

Also- take a look at Badgergal's pulls - I almost switched but she knocked some sense into me... Hickory Hardware.

Badger, Breezy and a few others - used various size pulls but with my cabs all different sizes, I felt this added symmetry back to my kitchen I did use longer ones on my giant pantry and our "caves"

cty - I did get some samples of Rocky Mountain - and the distribution point is just down the road - I still had to order them, pay for shipping, and when I returned them, they had a steep restocking fee - I gave them a piece of my mind and hopefully they changed their policies.

Holly - Thanks! Your kitchen will be awesome when you get the bugs worked out...(Granite, etc) Hang in there.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Hugs A2, I just want to work it all out and move on. My faucet gets installed tomorrow so that is something to make me smile!

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I just ordered these for my kitchen reno. I ordered a few samples, and this one hit the jackpot - the look we wanted, heavy-duty, nice feel, and inexpensive. It comes in 3 sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: my pulls

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I just ordered these for my kitchen reno. I ordered a few samples, and this one hit the jackpot - the look we wanted, heavy-duty, nice feel, and inexpensive. It comes in 3 sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: my pulls

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those look great, Annkh!
    I think I've realized that I want glass knobs, and maybe even glass pulls (which is a terrible idea given our lifestyle and budget).
    As with so many other decisions, I seem to go backwards for a while before moving forwards!

• bcafe
    10 years ago

I went with Emtek. The style I chose is brass but in the satin nickel finish. It has a great heft to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emtek pull

• earthlyepicure
    last year

Those of you who went with Emtek, Top Knobs, or Berenson -- what are your thoughts years later? Top Knobs is always great from the looks department. I'm curious about performance. I think I used Berenson many years ago in a reno (I don't remember, they came through my cabinet guy). I want something solid that will last but not break the bank (and frankly, I'd rather save on cabinet hardware than splurge - I'll be investing in good cabinets!)

• ozzzie19
    last year

@earthly I’ve had Emtek Alexander pulls in my very heavily used kitchen for 8 years and they have been amazing. I would highly recommend them. And in fact, I’m doing another house and while I wanted to do the same pulls, my wife wanted something different so we chose the Top Knob Ascendra pulls which are nearly identical. Salesperson said Emtek and Top Knob are very similar price and quality. Both Emtek and Top Knob feel really solid and come in at a great price point.

We’re also going to do some knobs from Water Street which are 5x the cost of Top Knobs knobs. The heart wants what the heart wants :)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths