Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Behind the Scenes at The Photoshoot - Pic Heavy

beekeeperswife
13 years ago

Lordy Lordy Lordy.

Today was the Big Day. We worked so hard to get our kitchen to this point. Talk about a deadline. Whew. All that we really have left in the room(s) to do is put down 1/4 round moulding at the baseboard. The jury was out, but we have decided to do it. And I need a piece of furniture (possibly a twin to what is on the right side) on the left side of my fireplace.

Background for anybody who isn't familiar with this story, I entered my kitchen in a contest, sponsored by Mission Stone & Tile. They were giving away an Arabesque Tile Backsplash. I won, and the only thing they wanted was photos of the finished work. Well, it came out so cool, that they decided to have a professional photograph it. This has been such a great experience, the people at Mission Stone & Tile have been wonderful to deal with. I know they are going through some tough times, due to the flooding in their town of Nashville.

This is not my "Reveal", so there are no details.

I wanted to share with you some behind the scenes photos of the photo shoot from today. These were simply the nicest guys ever. Love when they ask who was the designer, and encouraged my little hobby to go further.

I had purchased lots of gorgeous food to use, to give my otherwise black/white/gray room some color. They were very excited to see the things I found.

I will make sure to post again with their real photos after I get them, which should be on Saturday. I did learn that I really need to wear my glasses when taking photos because the camera is obviously foucusing on things other than what I had in mind.

Here you go:

from the dining room:

prop adjustment:

checking the shot:

my flash setting off all of the flashes, how cool is that? They talk!

Anybody remember Batman? Didn't the villains always have their hideouts filmed on an angle? My photos are always crooked.

{{gwi:1907334}}

From the frosted door area:

More decisions:

{{gwi:1907335}}

Isn't Pellegrino the best color?

Love this angle:

guess what we had for dinner?

{{gwi:1907338}}

And in case you are interested, here is the other half of the project, my family room:

{{gwi:1553435}}

{{gwi:1907339}}

Comments (52)

• Jody
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How FUN!!!! Your kitchen/home is just beautiful :)))

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

too fun! I can't wait to see the professional photos. Love the family room too!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

really really beautiful. I love the pot filler pic too!

• catkin
    13 years ago

It's really pretty!
    Can you please share the name/brand of the wall color? Love the greige!

• yborgal
    13 years ago

How exciting!!!!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was very fun.

catkin, the color is a Valspar color, Coastal Villa, and the darker color behind the hood and fireplace is on the same strip, Italian Leather. I had the BM dealer mix the colors for me. I just love the Aura paint.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

So fun...the entire space looks like a RH catalog! Loving that green chair, btw.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

That's great! Can't wait to see the pro pics! Your home is beautiful!

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Looks wonderful, what fun! And all your hard work paid off beautifully.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

The green wingback makes my heart go pitter-patter!
    It's all gorgeous!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

This has been so fun! I remember when you entered that contest! And then the announcement that you'd won. And then the TILE! It was so georgeous! Waiting for the next chapter in this story.

• robin_g
    13 years ago

Love the colors--so soothing and calming. Gorgeous home!

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

Bee: How wonderful for all of us that you have included us on your journey. Makes us all rather proud of you! Your kitchen is just so beautiful. You are the perfect example for those that are searching for "the backsplash, the one that speaks to you".....you found it, you made it beautiful and it is a testament to your hard work and good taste!!! Hooray! Can't wait to see the professional pictures!

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

I love it all! Can't wait for your reveal....

• nikit
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I love your family room and your gorgeous kitchen!

• stevie_2010
    13 years ago

I've loved your kitchen for a while now but I hadn't seen the family room before. It rocks!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

It all looks wonderful...how exciting for you. I love your wall color too. Looking forward to the pictures.

• nancyfay
    13 years ago

I had seen your kitchen before, but never a close-up of the tiles - they are so cool as part of that entire setting!

So my OT question: where is the round eating table from? I love it.

• happy2bme
    13 years ago

WOW!!! These rooms are gorgeous! Love the pop of green in the familyroom with the highback chair and the mirrored fireplace doors! Your backsplash tile rock! Whats the 411 on those tiles, maker and name if you dont mind!

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Your house is totally gorgeous!!!! Special. Great colors. Sparkly. So unbeige. THEY are lucky that your beautiful kitchen was in the contest. Put your sore feet up and enjoy. (P.S. don't cook and mess it up- just kidding-around here I'll get stoned!)

• texashottie
    13 years ago

How fun!! You go, girl! I love what you did and that backsplash is tdf! Can't wait to see the final pics.... ;)

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

What fun--and a terrific-looking kitchen, too!!!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Clearly, the company really made a good choice when they chose you. Congrats to a really elegant kitchen and its mistress.

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

What fun! So glad you weren't afraid to get in there with your own camera so you could share with us.

Is the water really running or did they prop fake water under the pot filler?

Did you really have carrots and eggplant and tomatoes for dinner? Did you get to eat the strawberries too?

Just have to share... we are trying to decide on the paint color for our laundry/utility area and garage hallway. I had picked up a bunch of chips at Lowes, all in the medium to dark brown family. Today I had narrowed it down to two and returned the rest (50 or more). Coastal Villa was one of the last ones I ruled out; I thought it was a little too gray for my space (looks perfect in yours with the Italian Leather). On the way to swim practice, I found a chip in the van that had fallen out of the stack and didn't get returned... it was Coastal Villa. Later, I saw your thread and showed my kids the picture and asked what they thought about the color, not knowing what it was (they've been helping me narrow it down). They both thought it was great. I only just scrolled down to see that it is CV. Hmmm... Maybe I should reconsider... (I'll probably stick with Safari Beige for the laundry and a fraction of the same formula for the hallway, but will keep CV in mind for another space).

Anyway, congratulations, and again, I absolutely love your kitchen! Will you be able to use the pro photos for the FKB?

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jsweenc-They were actually happy to have me take photos, in fact they want copies. They said they have no photos of themselves working.

The water is really running. I suggested that they could use that for the shot, and they loved it. Funny though, you should have seen the coordination on that! "3,2,1, stop shooting"...dump pot, start again.

Funny about your color hunt. Just so you know, I just mentioned to my dh last night that I wish we would have gone with the color one darker from Coastal villa. We have just our clock wall painted that color. Turned out not to be different enough to really be an accent wall, most people don't see the difference, but I can tell you it is a little richer. My CV tends to lean towards green-ish side in bright light. So, keep that in mind.

And we didn't have the carrots yet, but I cooked lots of zuchs, eggplants, onions last night. So yummy. And yes the strawberries are being eaten too.

Thanks for the nice comments everybody.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

happy2beme, sorry, I missed your question. The tiles are handmade tiles from Mexico. They are from Mission Stone & Tile, Beveled Arabesque Tiles, available in white or biscuit. I'll link you to their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: mission stone & tile

• ginabmg
    13 years ago

So cool!! Your home and of course your kitchen is truly gorgeous... you really do have a "gift"!

I love the behind the scnees photos. My daughter's wedding cake was on the Ace of Cakes show and it is so fun to see the photographer's pictures of the camera crew filming... sort of surreal.. Can't wait to see the photos they decide to use! How are they ever going to pick????

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

Oh, wow, beekeeperswife. I'd seen your beautiful kitchen before, but not the gorgeous family room. It all flows so well.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Very nice kitchen and a lot of extra fun for you too!

My thread about pull size disappeared, but I can see your 7'' pulls in the pictures above. The proportions look good. I think I'll go with 7'' pulls on my big drawers also. Thanks!

• phillipeh
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. We used that same granite (our supplier calls it "Cold Spring") on our kitchen island, which is also painted almost-black. Our wall cabinets are almost-white, and we used Absolute Black granite with a Carrara marble backsplash.

Congrats on winning (and doing such a good job they wanted pro photos!).

• fleur222
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh! It is just so special how everything came together for you and your kitchen. Even the photographers wanting your photos! I love that. I take alot of photos and am so pleased when others enjoy them.
    That backsplash was perfect for your kitchen. Love the accent colors with the bottles, food, etc.... And really those chandeliers just add glamour to the space.
    :) :) :)

• nicole__
    13 years ago

WOW! Gorgeous and great use of a small space!!!!

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

Bee- Your skill with the food/color choices made the shoot! You have two new callings now! Your kitchen and family room are beyond beautiful!!!! Enjoy every minute...

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Wowsers! That's stunning. I'm so happy for you that you will have professional photos of your space. Capturing interiors is a special skill and there's nothing like professional shots with the lighting, etc. -- and you even have perfectly coordinated running water! I'm so impressed. :~D

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Swoon. G-o-r-g-e-o-u-s home! I love the touches of apple green, they provide the perfect pop to your elegant space. You do an excellent job of staging it, too. They were lucky they chose you.

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

Thank you for the insight about CV. The greenish tone may be why I ruled it out. There were several that I specifically pulled out for that reason. However, I LOVE your green chair!

Sounds like you had a great time with the whole thing!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

Great job. Elegant, classic, swank. The green chair really makes it too, its like a permanent floral element. Or a topiary you can sit on!

Can I ask what the kitchen floors are? Im looking at Carlisle but the sample I liked in the photos is too soft.

thanks and congrats

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

So cool! Love the food props. And...of course...love your star splash.

• monkeymo
    13 years ago

Was it fun to have the photo shoot? Or was it nerve wrecking?

I also would love to know what the kitchen floors are....

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The floors are cork. They are Natural Cork USFloors, the color is Corte. They are New Dimension narrow plank. They are about 7" or so wide by around 3' long. Absolutely love them. I think it is funny when people see them they can't believe they are cork. Even the photographers were checking them out.

And yes, you all are right. It was such a fun thing. Something I never expected when we worked on the kitchen. I am by nature one who loves art, photography and design so this was just so cool to actually see this happen in MY kitchen. I think the guys liked the space too. The stylist told me he wished I could go with them on all their shoots, yeah, me too. Unfortunately, a career change isn't in the cards right now, maybe when ds finishes college in 4 years.

I love that everybody comments on that green chair. I bought it in that color at a consignment store. I wish I knew its age. It is very well made, and I don't think anyone ever really sat in it much. I think the old ladies that work in the store probably were shocked when I grabbed it. It was in perfect condition and it just screamed "take me home" to me. Not only is it great to look at, but it is so comfy.

It is Friday, and tomorrow is the day the photos are supposed to be available. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

I will post a new thread with the link to the photos once I get it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floors, but I purchased mine elsewere

• Rutendo Rukunda
    13 years ago

Wow, Congratulations! Kitchen is absolutely amazing!

• talley_sue_nyc
    13 years ago

Re: the quarter-round:

Personally, I hate it; it's so fat and thick, and such a boring, predictable shape.Because it's fat, it sticks out too far for me (I have visions of toes bumping it in the kick-board space), and it catches a lot of dirt, bcs it's wide (even if it is curved)

But I needed some at the baseboard in my bathroom, and I went with a slim bullnose-type molding I found at Home Depot, *near* the quarter-round. It's about 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch thick, about 1.25 inches high, and the top edge is rounded like a bullnose.

It covered the same distance as the midsize quarter-round, but it was FAR slimmer than the *small* quarter-round.

Shoe moulding is a little less fat than true quarter-round, but this stuff was even more dramatically slim. It was more like a piece of lattice w/ a rounded top edge, really.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks sue for your input. The quarter round we have is about 1/4" x 1/4". Very small stuff from the "gucci" lumber yard. We used shoe molding in front of the slider, it worked like a champ.

• swspitfire
    13 years ago

Congratulations! Your kitchen and family room are spectacular!

• donnakay2009
    13 years ago

What a treat! It's so much fun to get a glimpse into a world that's so different from your own, to see what artists and photographers do to make those gorgeous photos we all get to view in magazines. This was just too much fun to watch, I'll bet!

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

How elegant!

• B H
    13 years ago

Yes...very elegant! I love the pop of "lime" colors in your accessories and in the family room.

• nikkia2112
    13 years ago

Wow! What a stunning room. Great job!!!

• scanmike
    13 years ago

Wow, beautiful kitchen and family room. You must be so excited. Love the colors. Is Coastal Villa also in your family room?

• kellykath
    13 years ago

I have previously posted how beautiful your kitchen is and I hope you don't mind me using that backsplash because as soon as I see it I knew I loved it. I was going to choose something like it however it was twice as large and more of a symetricaloval shape insteam. Handmade -- however the arabesque is awesome. Could you please tell me how deep your perimeter counter edges are? I am currently considering going with 2 1/4 however I think that is going to be a little too big for the perimeter. I am definately doing it for my island though. Again, , , beautifully done!

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!