Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldhomeplace

Lurker reveal: Adel white and soapstone and blue tile

Hannah Koenker
9 years ago

GWers, you don't know how helpful you have been to me during this process. At the beginning the critiques and suggestions of the kitchen layout were immensely helpful, and I spent so many evening searching the archives for advice on everything from cabinet doors to ovens to trash pullouts. Here is our done kitchen (although we are still deciding what to do with our corner dining nook area!):

Original kitchen (sorry panoramic shot is rather goofy, but you get the idea)

"New Chichin" (as 2yo daughter says):

Ikea Adel White cabinets with Alberene soapstone and Blue Sky Fireclay backsplash.

Red oak floors with clear Rubio Monocoat (which I have already messed up by using baking soda to remove crayon, and had to resand and re-apply).

Beams were original to the space, big lights are from Ikea. Original fridge; the cabinets to its left were hung out a few feet so that it was sort of built-in-looking on that side

Gaggenau induction cooktop and Zephyr hood

Bosch 300 oven and our original Dutch door that I love love love; island is from Ikea, faucets are Hansgrohe Metro from Costco, we had to install the handles to the front, which I ended up liking more than I expected.

Aeratron fan that husband loves:

Hardware - Aubrey knobs and Ephram pulls in 6" and 8" from Restoration Hardware
Sinks - Blanco from Amazon that everyone recommended and a smaller Krause for the 'prep' sink.
Blue lights - SuperLiving Mini Dynamo in Smoke Blue (I should have put three of them over that long window area, oh well!)
Dishwasher - basically the cheapest Bosch. Quiet and works great, and though I turned off the end-of-cycle beep, it beeps annoyingly every time the door shuts all the way.

Now contemplating how to finish the breakfast nook area...see other post if you have ideas for a roughly 6x6 L-shaped corner!

Comments (29)

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Very nice! Love the backsplash.

• jgopp
    9 years ago

Love that ceiling, wow! And that split doorway. Beautiful.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I love your kitchen. The new blue and white go beautifully with the wood. I think keeping the original wood touches really creates a sense of personality and, well, hygge!

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Love it! I'm a Dutch Door fan also, we have three in our house, and toy with the idea just of one more ...

• feisty68
    9 years ago

This kitchen is fantastic! What a stunning space with the windows, exposed beams, soaring ceiling, etc. The blue is such a fun accent - I think I'm in love with Fireclay. I think the colour works so well because it connects your windows. Gorgeous cabs and floors. Crazy that the Rubio didn't hold up to baking soda though! :/

• smalloldhouse
    9 years ago

So beautiful! I'll echo everything that's already been said - the combination of wood and white and blue tiles is just awesome. Wow!!

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

I don't believe you. It's not the same kitchen. ;) Great job! You must be thrilled!

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

What a fresh & bright kitchen! Good job! I love the dutch door. Always wanted one. Enjoy your beautiful kitchen.

• deedles
    9 years ago

How beautiful! Also love the combination of wood, white and blue. Your ceiling is just wonderful and your new kitchen fits perfectly, and just wondering: do you find that the ceiling stands out now way more than when the old kitchen was still alive?

Wow. Really well executed.

• nmjen
    9 years ago

So pretty! I love those blue tiles, and the whole space feels very open and serene.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Those blue tiles bring on the "bling" love it!

• ktj459
    9 years ago

Love it! That tile is gorgeous!

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

This is beautiful!!! I especially love the dutch door!!! So gorgeous. The beams really add a sense of homeyness.

• karen_ohio
    9 years ago

My favorite color, blue. I, too, have a Dutch door. Is it possible to post a picture of the hardware on the door that holds the top and bottom together?

Karen.Ohio

• romy718
    9 years ago

So open & spacious. I echo everyone's previous raves. Love, love, love the tile. Great kitchen!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Also a fan. Your home is architecturally blessed, but the previous layout made it seem challenged. You have turned it around. White, blue and wood are my favorites anyway, but love the Dutch door, beams and ceiling -- enjoy it!

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Dang! That's nice. Ooh, the tile! Ooh, the Alberene, which is my future counter too. Love the contrast on the windows. Great Chichen!

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Now that I have looked at the before panorama in large format, clearly you have a very cool house because that before kitchen is pretty original and bad*ss with two zones. That vinyl floor, which I've encountered in real life, makes me a wee bit nostalgic and I often think those plywood cabinets would still be in kitchens across the country if only the base cabinets had been drawers.

Which isn't all to make you feel bad for redoing your kitchen. I totally appreciate the light, bright transformation.

Thanks for sharing!

• deegw
    9 years ago

Enjoy your lovely chichin and your sweet baby too. My babies are 21 and 17 and we still occasionally use some of their toddler words during family conversations.

The space looks SO different! Did it turn out like you imagined or was the finished project an even lovelier surprise?

Does anyone like the Bosch continuous beeping? I have no idea why Bosch thinks that is a desirable feature..

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! You all must be loving it! It's so light and bright now!

• Mousun
    9 years ago

Very nice space! How did you support/hang the uppers that are pushed forward to the left of fridge?

• marykh
    9 years ago

What a transformation. Thank you for sharing it with us!

• Margoria
    9 years ago

I too am a fan of the blue! such wonderful light you have in that chichin! enjoy, enjoy!

• Hannah Koenker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everybody! We are loving the space now. The old kitchen was the original 1956 kitchen, with the original 48" Thermador electric range with griddle in the middle. Unfortunately only two of the burners worked by the time we bought the house last fall, and neither of them really boiled water. So we've been cooking on a single induction burner since September and through the remodel (which at least made things consistent and more familiar when we were out of the kitchen). The old kitchen was kind of bad*ss, I will admit, but the long serving island was just in the way, the wall oven was 24" and too small for us, and it didn't have a dishwasher. It had been a nicely designed kitchen for its time, but we needed a different layout. Forgot to mention that there was another exterior door in the back corner (where we bumped out the cabinets) that we eliminated! I love having our microwave and toaster and Cuisinart back in that space (30" deep corner), although they're not pictured in the photos I posted.

Feisty - apparently the baking soda reacts chemically with the Monocoat/Rubio. Not right away though. I dumped a rather large amount of baking soda on the area by accident, and scrubbed it up, which definitely removed the crayon, but an hour later the area was black. I may post a separate thread for posterity, but sanding it, cleaning away the dust, and reapplying the Monocoat works great.

Deedles - the ceiling is way more vibrant now than it was before, when the soffits and the dark cabinets ate up all the light. There was also an amazing amount of yellow grime on the walls, so just painting the ceiling and the walls white (painter matched color to the Adel white...I will try and figure out the exact color) really helped a ton to brighten the space.

Karen.Ohio - I will post more closeups when we get back home this weekend. The hardware on the door is really neat!

Mousun - to hang the uppers out from the wall, the carpenter built out a frame of 2x4s from the wall, partially supported by a 3/4" plywood sheet (plus the Ikea fridge panel) that went between the fridge and the wall cabinets. The above-fridge cabinet is also built out a little bit (6"?) with 2x4s. I don't have a photo of that part, unfortunately.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Sooo much to love. Right off the bat, the backsplash is *all* that! Would love a close up of soapstone and bs together. I'm trying to stay out of ABB and I have ss too.

The Dutch door - I'm just too jealous! I wanted one for our rear door replacement but as of yet, DH not on same page. I hate bugs in house so undecided if I could really handle a Dutch door but they are just too cool. The beams, oh my, very nice touch

You have made such a wonderful transformation of your space. Big congrats!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Love the blue back splash - oh and the rest of the kitchen as well.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Stunning!!

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

The blue tile, dark counters, white cabs--it's just great. Very nice work!!

• hyjenist
    9 years ago

Loving your backsplash!