Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nobees_gw

stone yard sold my slab-iso of princess white

nobees
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm new to posting here, but I've stalked for advice throughout choosing materials for remodeling.

I just got a call from the fabricator that the stone yard sold my slab (and yesterday, at that!). I had a permanent hold on it and 1/2 deposit of material/labor to my fabricator. She called today to get it delivered, and was told they sold it.

I'm going to try to attach a pic. of the slab. I hope someone in the Chicago-land area can direct me to somewhere that will have a slab like this. I am not willing to spend this much money on something I don't love.

Since I just found out, and it is the end of the work day, I only was able to call one yard, who sent pics of their princess white, which I will post as a reply. They look nothing alike!

I know "it's just a counter" as the stoneyard lady told me through my tears and frustration, but I am not one who makes quick, easy decisions. This was one that was, and meant I LOVED it!!

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

This post was edited by nobees on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 15:43

Comments (18)

• nobees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Supposedly this is also princess white, and I would never even consider it. I just do not care for it. It makes me feel like there won't be any similar to "my" slab. The other ones I've seen on GW don't look so much like "mine" either (although more like mine than this one.)

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

I am sorry to read about your dilemma. While you paid the fabricator, they probably did not pass the deposit on to the stone yard. Will the fabricator return the deposit if you find another slab at a different fabricator's shop? We did not visit stone yards because we found two great slabs at our fabricator's.

Both slabs pictured are beautiful, but very different. Best of luck in your search.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

So sorry Nobees. The lady at the stone yard wouldn't have thought it's just a counter top if her slab had been sold! We get so attached to the things we pick and that was YOUR slab. I hope they will go all out and try to find another beautiful slab for you.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

I am so sorry to read this. It is heartbreaking when a stone yard sells your slab from under you, especially when you paid your fabricator a deposit. I went to my stone slab store after I deposited with the fabricator, found the boss and told him he'd better not sell it or he'd be dealing with me. Then I nicely hounded the fabricator to get it to his storage, which he did, and I confirmed.

Wishing you great karma, even while you search for another.

• heidia
    10 years ago

I am so sorry. You have every right to be upset. I know I would be. Slabs are unique from one another, even in same type of stone they can look SO diff. I have built my entire kitchen around one, so I would be really upset and angry if this happened to me too! Keep looking-go to many many yards! GL!

• nobees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for validating my feelings! I guess I'll know more tomorrow after I talk to the fabricator again. In the mean time, I emailed all of the other stone yards on the list I have, plus a couple of other ones. I think I will talk to the owner of the fabrication place. I don't like placing the blame, and I don't know whose fault this really was, but I'd like some sort of compensation for the aggravation. I feel like even if I find a slab at a yard they don't usually use, I will need to convince them to work with them anyway

I want to lean more toward this being the stone yard's problem seeing that the manager even hung up on me. I feel kind of helpless. I don't know why they can't call up the other fabricator and say that, that slab was already sold and get it back.

I also have purchased my sink in Blanco metallic gray (so new slab has to go with that), plus I hope there aren't any issues with my sinks or faucets since this will be digging into my return-time period. I'm sure that didn't dawn on stone yard lady either.

Thanks again for the supportive words; I needed them!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

The lady at the stone yard said "it's just a counter" and then the manager hangs up on you? Nice way to treat customers and run a business. I would file a complaint with the BBB...and write a scathing review on AL if they are on there as well as Yelp. If they had the most beautiful stone in the world I would not give them my business!

Don't settle. Even though it will hold up the project, wait until you find that special slab again. And you will....good luck!

• Peke
    10 years ago

I understand your pain. The stone yard people told me that I don't actually get to pick a stone. They would just keep a list of sold stones and I would get one of them.

I don't think so....not as much time, effort, mileage, and money as I have spent on slab selection. I am sure you did the same.

I just know you will find an even better stone....hopefully from a different stone yard and different fabricator.

I imagine that your fabricator is at fault too. He should not expect the stone yard to hold it permanently without being paid for by the fabricator and should not expect the stone yard to store it. The fabricator should have picked it up.

Positive thoughts are coming your way from all of us GWers. You will find a better slab. Peke

• whit461
    10 years ago

Nobees, I feel your pain. Many of us have had issues with fabricators and yards. Incredible how they treated you. The yard should do something to try to get your slab back. Each slab is unique, and you get attached. I get it. They do, too. That's what drives their business. Keep cool. Demand satisfaction. Be reasonable, but firm. Post what happens.

• nobees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The lady/manager were the same person who said it's just a counter and hung up.
    I will definitely post what happens. I'm emailing back and forth with fabricator (it's actually a woman there who sets it all up). She's calling around and emailing photos and such so I don't have to drive.
    So far, only a white macauba/moon white that is okay (attached). I wasn't fond of the background white when I saw a dif. slab of white mac. in person. These do have nice veining, but again, not the same as the crystal-like quality of the princess white.
    I'm feeling more hopeful today. The other things that have stalled my home purchase and remodel have all been for the better, so this must mean something! At least, that's what I'm going to keep telling myself.

Side note: Is there a way to post multiple pictures in the same message?

• ginny20
    10 years ago

You're right to be angry and upset, and I'd do anything not to give that yard my business. "Only a counter"? Only several thousand dollars, too.

I understand that your plan was built around this slab, but it might help you have more options if you can keep an open mind about different stones rather than trying to get one like the one that got away. Not that you shouldn't try for a similar slab, of course you should. Do you have time to go shop around at different yards? If you did, you might find something entirely different that you love.

Have you seen some of the gorgeous slabs posted on this current Countertop Geology thread? Maybe they'll inspire you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Countertop Geology part 3 (with great slabs)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

After re-reading...yes, your fabricator is at fault too if they did not give any $ to the stone yard to hold it or have it delivered sooner and hold it for you at their shop. You might want to find another fabricator as well, unless they really make amends and go out of their way.

Another word of caution we learned the hard way....if there is any leftover stone you may want to use in a powder room, etc....keep it in your garage! Our fabricator sold our remnant from the kitchen we were planning to use in the powder room. They came out, measured, everything...about 2 hours before I was going to OK the template..they called that they couldnt find it..even though they had previously said they had it. Fortunately we found a remnant at another fabricator's, which was sheer luck because I don't think it is a common stone.

• seosmp
    10 years ago

I'm in the greater Chicago area and am wondering what list of stone yards you have? I've been to just 2 places, but am not sure how to get a more extensive list. I'd like to just visit a bunch at the same time! Thanks!

• blfenton
    10 years ago

It is never *just* a counter.

nobees - the pic of the one that you posted at 11:07 is gorgeous.

• nobees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seosmp, here's what I have. I'm leaving the one out that sold my slab under my feet. I'm in the south burbs, so all of these are even a drive for me.

T&M Supply; Wheeling; 847-353-8000. Diane has been great about emailing me photos back and forth today!

Stone Design; Glendale Heights and Chicago; GH # is 630-858-9658.
    I spoke with a girl there today who was beyond helpful. She's supposed to be looking for a slab that might work for me. Since I only need one, she's looking more carefully. Also good to note that if you only need 1, tell them!

Universal Granite & Marble; Chicago; 773-268-4500

Stone Gallery; Villa Park; 630-530-5300

American Granite; Elk Grove Village; 847-290-0800

Levantina; Bensonville; 630-361-6600

Atlas Stone; Elk Grove Village; 847-690-9345

• nobees
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oops--forgot the other one because it wasn't on my paper

MGSI in Niles and I'm emailing back and forth with Darina. She's great as well!

• seosmp
    10 years ago

Thanks!

The 2 I went to are Precision Stone (Schaumburg) and Global (Addison I think). Was it either of those?

• whit461
    10 years ago

Nobees, I feel your pain. Many of us have had issues with fabricators and yards. Incredible how they treated you. The yard should do something to try to get your slab back. Each slab is unique, and you get attached. I get it. They do, too. That's what drives their business. Keep cool. Demand satisfaction. Be reasonable, but firm. Post what happens.