Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hbrrbh

Kitchen reveal!

hbrrbh
9 years ago

Thanks to everyone who so patiently answered my many questions. Here are some photos from our kitchen remodel. Our house is a center entrance colonial in New England, so we went with an eclectic/traditional look. The kitchen is on the dark side, so we went with white cabinets. Our prior kitchen was modern, but starting to fall apart. We gutted it, and took down the wall between the kitchen and dining room to open up the space.

Cabinets: custom made by Sharp Woodworking in Canton, MA. (Loved them!) Perimeter cabinets are painted BM Dove White; island and hutch are quarter sawn oak with a pecan glaze.
Pulls: .Cliffside cup pulls and knobs in Old Antique. Ordered online from The Knob Store
Counter: Leathered River White granite, fabricator was Select Stone in Billerica, MA
Floor: Oak hardwood (to match the rest of the house)
Double oven: Bosch 500 series double convection
Cooktop: Bosch 800 series, gas, five burner, 30"
DIshwasher: Bosch 500 series
Fridge: JennAir counter depth french door
Microwave: countertop Panasonic
Exhaust fan: Frigidaire (?) kept it to 400 cfms so we didn't have to deal with make up air, this was sufficient for our "non professional" cooktop
Sink: Franke Orca, with right side grid
Faucet: Kohler Simplice
island pendant: ? The only thing we saved from the old kitchen (other than the garbage disposal)
Backsplash: Fireclay, 3 x 6 Mushroom, ordered directly from Fireclay

Here are some photos -- we didn't do anything that unusual, put I'll be glad to post more if people have specific questions.

Sink wall (outside wall of the kitchen, window looks into a screened porch) This is the view from the dining room, across the island. And yes, we have the cooktop in the island -- we had this set up in our old kitchen and really like it.

Comments (29)

• hbrrbh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Double oven wall. Cabinet unit to the left of the ovens is our pantry, with rollouts below the microwave, and one roll out above. Hutch to the right is quite shallow, only about 8 inches, but that was all we had room for.

• hbrrbh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view from the dining room. The island has seating for four. The cabinet to the right of the chairs has a charging drawer, and then roll outs for items we use for entertaining. (Was originally supposed to be drawers, had to switch to a cabinet due to some space constraints, but the rollouts for this purpose have been fine, and I like the ability to adjust the shelf spacing if necessary.)

At the end of the island, right across from the ovens, is a wide, 16 inch deep cabinet that I use for all our baking pantry items (I have a lot!) Love having a shallow cabinet for this purpose. The rest of the pantry items are in the unit to the left of the ovens.

• hbrrbh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last photo -- shows the dining room from the kitchen. You can see that we haven't painted yet, nor have we hung pictures properly. We love having the space opened up, it is much brighter now, and easier to seat a lot of people for larger gatherings.
    By the way, the photos don't do it justice, but we really love our leathered granite -- and it definitely gets the most compliments of any element in the kitchen! It is sturdy yet has a soft, warm feel to it, and goes well with both the oak and the painted white cabinets (which wasn't easy to find!)

Thanks again!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous kitchen. You've got my favorite cabinet finishes: soft white and quarter-sawn oak. Your backsplash is perfect. Fireclay tile is very beautiful and I think you've picked the perfect color. Nice job!!!

• hbrrbh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A few more details on the cabinet layout:

Starting with the fridge - we have a big cabinet over the fridge, then a 20 inch four drawer unit (wraps, spices, empty!, tupperware), double trash/recycling pullout with drawer for teas above, dishwasher, sink cabinet, 30 inch four drawer unit (silverware and serving utensils, everyday dishes, casserole type pans, paper goods and misc.
    Rounding the corner is the corner lazy susan cabinet (appliances), 20 inch four drawer unit (dish towels, baking items, empty!, misc items), pantry with nook for microwave, double oven with divided baking sheet storage above, and a drawer for more baking pans underneath, and the hutch (cabinet below is kind of empty, but will be for overflow pantry items, especially tall ones like bottles.)
    Upper cabinets are for glasses and serving items, with some food storage (e.g. oils, cereal, peanut butter) in the cabinet right next to the sink.

The island has a 16 inch deep cabinet facing the ovens (baking items) that spans the 45 inch width of the island. Next to the seating is a charging drawer, and 3 rollouts for less frequently used items like cheese boards and cake plates. There are 3 30 inch drawers under the cooktop -- the top one is very shallow but holds knives and cutting boards; the other two are for various pots and pans. Then, a 39 inch 3 drawer unit; bottom 2 drawers holds most pots and pans; top drawer is for cooking utensils and bits and pieces. Finally, there is an odd shaped cabinet at the end, only 15 inches wide with an angled back (14 inches to 24 inches), it holds travel mugs and water bottles, and salad making items.

Well, probably much more detail than anyone wants so I'll stop now!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Beautiful! The first thing I noticed is your backsplash. I love it. It looks absolutely perfect with the beautiful River White countertops & white cabinets. Love the dark cabinetry hardware.
    Your kitchen is lovely, comngratulations!

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Though I may be biased because I just installed River White and oak plank floors in my own (midreno) kitchen ;) . My counters aren't the luscious leather finish though, unfortunately. Congratulations on your successful choices.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Really beautiful and add me to the list of people who love your backsplash!

• deedles
    9 years ago

Ya, that back splash is perfection with everything else in there. Don't think you could have chosen a better one. Another beautiful reveal today! I love your shallow hutch... amazing how much one can put into a shallow space and it's so accessible! We also chose a pecan finish for our oak cabs... and I've had white dove in my last 2 kitchens, so you know I'm a fan! Beautiful kitchen and also your pendents look super groovy (dating myself, right?). Can you post a close-up of the pendant if you get a chance. Enjoy your lovely new kitchen!

• jennifer132
    9 years ago

Love it. Highlights for me are the shallow hutch in the contrast and your enthusiasm for your storage (even the still empty drawers!). It's obvious you enjoy your new space, as you should.

• laurencp
    9 years ago

Ditto here with the great backsplash choice. I'm impressed you went with Fireclay being on the east coast - but their customer service is wonderful . Everything looks fantastic and your backsplash really compliments your granite and cabinets. Stunning!

• amck2
    9 years ago

I really like your granite. It was near the top of my list when I was choosing countertops. Beautiful combined with the backsplash. All the elements combine to make a beautiful kitchen. Congratulations!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Looks great! So bright and pretty.

• hbrrbh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your kind comments! I realize that the photos look pretty dark, but that is a comment on my photography skills, not the kitchen!

We're happy with the backsplash too. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the color of the tile picks up one of the colors in the granite. Also, the tile is a crackle, so when seen in person, there is a lot of variation and depth. I had originally planned to get Encore titles, and drove miles to one of the only dealers in Mass. to pick up samples, but the colors just didn't work in our space.

Fireclay was a pleasure to work with, even cross country. They sent free samples of five colors of tile, which was helpful. Also, a short while after requesting the samples, they sent an online coupon for 10% off, and they have free shipping. So, it turned out to be much more cost effective than I originally thought.

Attached is a close up of the tile. It still doesn't do it justice -- tile and granite are so hard to capture in photos!

• hbrrbh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deedles -- here is another photo of the pendant. Unfortunately, I know nothing more about these lights -- the two pendants were in the kitchen when we moved in, and they are probably about 20 or 25 years old! But we always liked them, so we kept them.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Beautiful - I love your counters!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Lovely kitchen! I especially love your leathered granite, and the curve at the seating end of your island adds a special touch!

• deedles
    9 years ago

I can see why you kept them, very cool.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

HB - I noticed the splash first as well - Nice! I think the colors are wonderful together! Love that granite as well!
    Looking forward to KAW pictures from your kitchen!
    It is so hard to take pictures and have them true - I am still trying 2 years later.
    Congratulations!

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Lovely choices, thank you for sharing the pictures! To me it looks very comfortable and stylish, in a way that is classic and not trendy. Congrats!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Lovely kitchen. Love the tile; pendants are to die for.

• tea4all
    9 years ago

WOW! That is what I said outloud when I saw your first pic. What a gorgeous counter! It is a stunning stone. You sure picked things that fit together for a lovely overall look. Enjoy, enjoy! And thanks so much for the eye candy. Good way to start the day. :)

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

WOW! Really stunning - great work! I love the counter tops!!!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Great choices, love your hood, backsplash, counters etc!!

• ppbenn
    9 years ago

Very pretty! Love the countertop. I haven't seen that stone in a leathered finish. It is perfect with the modern oak island. And the pendants are great with it too.

• Lisa
    9 years ago

Really beautiful! I especially love your counters and backsplash. Well done!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

!!! Love it and particularly love that hutch. What a great use of otherwise dead space behind the door and really takes your kitchen to the next (custom) level.

• hbrrbh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for everyone's kind comments! It is much appreciated.

• carissameyer
    6 years ago

wow! I know this is an old thread, but I cannot tell you how great your kitchen is and how grateful I am that you posted! We are painting our quarter-sawn oak cabinets in Alabaster white (very close to your color) and knew we wanted a light granite and a gray/taupe-y subway tile back splash. I have really been struggling to find a granite I love and to see a picture with all of my ideas combined in one! Thank you for confirming that what I dreamed up in my head actually looks really beautiful in reality! We have very similar tastes :) Are you still happy with this granite selection?