Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decosmittee

Where to place a cooktop/double ovens?

decosmittee
10 years ago

Initially, I decided to go with an induction range. However, I really would like an induction cooktop and double ovens. I love to cook and now have to wait often on one dish to finish before I can start something else. This is especially true when I invite my family over on most Sundays.

Please let me know if there is a way to add a cooktop and double ovens to the layout below. I plan to use Dutchwood for custom cabinets or Kraftmaid (Home Depot) The space to the left of the island is for a table and chairs.

Comments (13)

• decosmittee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another picture.

• decosmittee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another one.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

I would keep the cooktop where the range is and have a GE Single\Double oven under counter in the island. I would also have the baking center in the island. Very handy with the oven on the end of your long island d and sink right behind you.

• decosmittee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I considered adding both ovens under the counter in the island, however, in the above layout the microwave is there. Would it be odd to have one oven under the cooktop and another and the microwave under the counter in the island?

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

I think it depends. I was thinking about having my 'meal' range and then the GE Single/Double under counter in my baking center. I also have a small catering business and hope to expand in our next house. So I think it really depends on how often you bake. I want two baking ovens. You could also do a cooktop with the Single/Double underneath.

I refer to the GE Single/Double because I believe it is still the only double oven that fits in a regular oven space that can also go under counter.

• Cloud Swift
    10 years ago

The place where double ovens would fit pretty well would be at the end of the L to the left of the sink.in if you are willing to make that wall not have a symmetrical layout. Alternatively, you could put one oven under counter in the island and keep one in the range.

Or perhaps move the fridge to the left of the sink and put the double ovens to the right of the cooktop. That would make for a nice fridge to sink to cooktop flow for prep and would put the fridge near the table for easy access from the table without getting in the cook's way. Someone putting together a salad would work between the fridge, sink and possibly island end also keeping out of the way of the cook.

I'm not at home, but the latest issue of Consumer Reports showed a range that had dual ovens that they claimed could each hold a turkey and I think it was also induction - but I don't recall the brand and don't know if it would be satisfactory.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

I like cloudswift's idea of moving the fridge and putting the wall oven where the fridge is. That also puts the ovens closer to the hood than if you put them left of the sink. Having wall ovens, I can tell you that it is very handy to have them near the cooktop so you can just step over to look in them while you're cooking.

A double wall oven gives you ergonomic advantages over ovens below counters - you don't have to bend as much. And I agree with cloudswift's points about having the fridge closer to the table.

You would lose that pretty symmetry, but I always go for function first, then make it as pretty as you can.

• Valerie Noronha
    10 years ago

Another vote for cloudswift's recommendations.

• Claudia77
    10 years ago

I haven't read anything other than your post.

I have had my own kitchen for 35+ years and I notice two things:

I want to have a counter immediately available whenever I take anything out of the oven. And the range top does not count as a counter.

I want to have a counter immediately available whenever I'm taking something out of the fridge.

Another thing - hot ovens and toddler traffic is not a good mix. Oven should be placed where a person can see the oven from a distance. Some little kid comes running around a corner into a hot stove....ouch!! Kids should have a visual of the oven's open door - no surprises.

My father was a Safety Engineer and accident prevention was drilled into my head.

• decosmittee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been sick with a gland infection the last two days. It's been awful.

Now back to the kitchen. I will have plans drawn to move the frig to the left of the sink. I love that suggestion and think it will work. My only concern would be the doors of the frig getting in the way of those sitting at the table. Also, the pantry is to the far left of the sink. Should I replace the pantry with the frig and move the pantry to where the cabinets are to the right OR should I replace the cabinets with the frig and leave the pantry where it is now? We are removing a small pantry and making it a pull out for better efficiency. My kitchen is really small; however, I want a design that will work with the space available.

• decosmittee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of the area to the left of the sink in our current kitchen. It's not very roomy.

• decosmittee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A better picture.

{{!gwi}}

• Cloud Swift
    10 years ago

I'd lean toward putting the fridge to the right of the pantry if you are keeping the pantry because I think the fridge gets accessed more often in getting food ready for cooking (at least it does in our house).

The fridge doors won't get in the way of those sitting at the table much more than the pantry doors would. If you put the fridge to the right of the pantry you reduce that too. If you use a french door fridge, the doors will stick out less than the pantry cabinet doors.

It seems like the space between the wall and the island is pretty tight for fitting a table. How wide is that space? It looks like the island is 4' wide, could you use a 2' island instead?

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz