Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prospect711

??Backsplash Sorta Contemporary w/Light Cherry and Soapstone??

prospect711
12 years ago

Yes, its another backsplash question. We've selected counters and cabinets, working on backsplash. Cabinets will be shaker style, light cherry. Cabinets will be Beleza soapstone. Floor is existing resilient beige/gray tile look-a-like. It is pretty neutral. If it bugs us when we are done, we will replace it. We are aiming for a contemporary but "timeless" kitchen. Appliances will be SS.

We are having big debates about the backsplash. We are consulting with an interior designer. I showed her photos of remodelfla's kitchen and holligator's kitchen as examples of the kind of simple backsplash we want. She really liked holligator's green glass tiles. I think they are gorgeous but I want a more neutral color like cream. On the other hand, DH thinks we should do a natural stone backsplash, like a lighter-colored slate.

We plan to live here for a long time. I want something we can live with.

Thoughts? Photos? Ideas?

Comments (13)

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

The Artistic Tiles Opera Glass comes in cream and/or taupe. Check our their site. We used Wolfgang White, BTW.

• pudgybaby
    12 years ago

There's always fire and ice (I've got natural cherry cabinets and jet mist granite). It has long, random length slate (actually quartize) pieces with square glass inserts. Many here have used it - here's mine:

{{!gwi}}

• leela4
    12 years ago

Backsplashes are hard. I remember being in backsplash purgatory last summer. We have natural cherry shaker style cabinets and soapstone countertops. For the longest time we thought we wanted a natural stone for our backsplash as well. We tried all sorts of different combinations, but none clicked for us. Then we came to the realization that choosing a natural stone wasn't working because it was competing with the soapstone (for us). We ended up going an entirely different route with a handmade subway-Horus Art Tile (Broadway-crema). We also put an Oceanside glass mosaic behind the range. Here are some pics:

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Here are a few ideas...

• rjr220
    12 years ago

This is what we did: we didn't want anything to compete with the veining of the soapstone, but were attracted to some glass tiles. We used Daltile Matte Bisque 4x8 subs and sumi-e glass tiles. If you see a similarity between my kitchen and Holligator's, it's because we live about 4 miles apart, and her kitchen was one of my inspirations -- I used the same cabinet maker!

• calimama
    12 years ago

Here's mine - My cherry cabs are a medium tone. I don't have soapstone, but I do have a busy granite. In my kitchen, the stone seems to calm down the granite. It too was a compromise between my DH and I so it works for us. It's Arizona tile Golden Gate Quartzite.

I really need to take some updated pictures!!

• enduring
    12 years ago

Hi, I have the same combo of light cherry and soapstone. My kitchen is rather traditional. I am going with a light whitish tan 2x3 marble mosaic without any veining. My floor is too busy for any visual texture in the back splash. I have included a picture of two samples on the soapstone counter. While I LOVED the glass, I thought it was too contemporary for my kitchen. When I had the small marble taped to the wall for a few days I noted that I smiled whenever I walked into the room. So that is why I chose the marble. I have a small room and I think the small size looks fine.

here are closer pics of the two tiles, the stone a smaller 2x3 (or 4?)...

... the glass a typical 3x6.

I have yet to install mine. Good luck!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

OT Leela: Like your stuff! Haven't seen yours before. Nice!

• leela4
    12 years ago

Florantha-Thanks so much!

• holligator
    12 years ago

Prospect, it's remodelfla that has the beautiful green glass tiles. Mine are the simple off-white subways. But, thanks for thinking they were worth showing your designer! :)

I could have written Leela's post above. We went through exactly the same thing trying to find a stone backsplash that would work, before we realized that simple, matte subways worked better for us. Like you, I also wanted something I could live with for a long, long time.

• raro
    12 years ago

These are beautiful kitchens! I like Leela4's very very much. I'd go with that schema. Best of luck in your warm glowing kitchen.

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

Kittenkat 2002 has one of my favorite cherry/soapstone kitchens. Her backsplash is simple but awesome.Especially behind the range hood. Worth checking out. Please post your finished BS...I'm trying to decide on my own (also cherry/soapstone-ish)

• David
    12 years ago

Shaker style cabinets, large format tile