Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Removing printing from the end of light bulbs

Bunny
9 years ago

I'm posting this here because of the increased traffic and it could apply to a kitchen.

I have a new 5-bulb vanity light in my bath that is installed downward facing. It puts out excellent light. It can use all kinds of bulbs, however, a little bit of the light-emitting end of the bulb shows. It's really not so bad (not using fluorescent) except for the ugly printing right at the end of the bulb. So annoying.

My old light fixture was a fixture that used vanity (boob) lights. Perhaps because they are meant to be fully exposed, no printing. I just bought some new ones and they look smashing in the fixture and I think that 5 x 40 watts will be adequate. Still...

I was in HD today and asked the light bulb guy if there was a way to get the writing off. He says, nope. I ask why. He says, so people can tell what kind of bulb it is. I figure once I buy the bulb it's my responsibility to know what the wattage is. I'm guessing it's printed at the end because it's easier (and cheaper) than in an inconspicuous location.

Anyway, I have some GE 71-watt incandescents and I was able to get the writing off with a little Dawn and a fingernail. Zero luck with a regular-base halogen.

My question is:

I'm looking for bulbs in the 50-100 watt equivalent range that either have no writing on the end or writing that can be removed. Does such a beast exist? I'm making do with 40w boob lights.

I would have bought LEDs but they have sort of a dark area in the same place. Ugh. Not a good look for my fixture.

Comments (10)