Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renov8r_gw

Assymetrical corner cupboard

renov8r
9 years ago

We have a corner lower cupboard that we don't know what to do with. Due to unforeseen changes in the framing stages of our old house the lazy susan is not a go for our corner.
We have been advised to just leave it as a corner cupboard, but the opening is very small so it is of limited use.
Can I and should I think about putting in a set of corner drawers?
The one side of the opening is 10 inches and the other side of the opening is 5 inches. When it is opened it is only 7 inches wide.

Comments (9)

• kcorn
    9 years ago

What is on the back side of this cabinet on either side? Do both sides "back up" to a wall behind it? I ask wondering if you can open up the back and create an access point from the back side.

What are the adjacent cabinets on either side? If not drawers, one option would be to have an opening cut between the adjacent cabinet and this one to allow for another access point into the back of that cabinet. Of course, that assumes an opening can be cut that would not compromise the structural integrity of the cabinet.

• renov8r
    Original Author
    9 years ago

unfortunately it is in the corner of the house. The range is on the right and the trash on the left beside the sink centred under the window. There is nothing I can do about the size of this corner cabinet.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I was wondering the same thing... What's at the back? We have a corner cupboard that is accessible from the backside of the peninsula. Maybe that would work for you?

• jill314
    9 years ago

Maybe something like this? (I forget how to put in a photo, so I'll link below.) I saw this here at some point and pinned it so I didn't lose it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kompy's staggered shelves

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

Can you get a woodworker to rig that door so it opens, folds flat, then slides back into the right hand side, like a TV enclosure door on an armoire? This would give you the whole opening with no object in the way. You would need to put an inset type "knob" on the door so it could slide flush into the cabinet side.

Also, think about installing a switched light on the interior so you can better see what's in there. Maybe a finger button switch up under the counter just inside the door, or even a door-opened activated switch. We have some of those on closets. There are also motion activated switches, we have one in our pantry. They turn on, then turn off at a pre-programmed interval.

This post was edited by beautybutdebtfree on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 6:04

• julie1973
    9 years ago

How about closing off the 5 inch side with a filler panel and making the 10 inch cabinet include a swing out type lazy Susan?

• renov8r
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your ideas. I like the idea of the stacked shelves, but I think the back of the cupboard needs to be closed off somehow. My arms do not reach that far. Some sort of light might be handy. No one has mentioned the corner drawers. I would be interested in knowing if something like that would work.

• colleenoz
    9 years ago

Or rehang the door so the hinge is on the other (long) side? Not ideal but at least you could get into the cupboard.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

I'm with colleenoz. I'd hang the hinges on the other side of the door.

I'd also change the interior hinges that connect the doors together so that they fold flat against each other when they are fully open (with the little door being on the outside of the larger one). Hopefully this makes sense.

Rodney, who resides on the gardening forums but decided to venture over here for a bit.