Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Granite color help

Posted by chicagoan23 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 19:16

Hi,

The pic is my current small kitchen. I will be moving the oven to the far right and moving the dishwasher to where the oven is now. This will give me an uninterrupted counter space all the way to the sink. This will be the color of my new cabinets: http://t2cabinet.com/products_usonia.html

If you live in Chicago this company has amazing cabinet prices. I live in a Garden/semi-below ground unit so the windows are smaller and hence less natural light. Here are my options for granite colors: http://caragraniteco.com/products.html

If you live in Chicago they are giving me a great price, he's giving me free Ogee edge since countertop is small and giving me free undermount sink. I do have granite vanity in the bathroom, vanity is white and granite is almost pitch black with tiny spots of brown. I like dark color but perhaps I should choose a lighter color to brighten the room, I have no idea.......

For the top of the cabinets, my contractor will come over & let me know if he can move those 2 vents. If he can move them, I can get 42" cabinets with crown moulding all the way to the ceiling. If he can't find a place for my vents, should I get crown moulding at the top of cabinets, its only $32 extra, was just wondering which looks better.

For under cabinet lights, I plan on going with this led setup: http://www.hitlights.com/led-multi-colored-light-bar-kit.html
It looks easy to install, should last years, inexpensive.

Thanks for your designer tips for a guy that has no clue about this stuff :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Granite color help

check out indian vyara. it is lighter, but has some caramel to tie in your floors.

hopefully they can move your vents

o

If you want the room to look more spacious, minimize the amount of contrast between the finish colors. So with the Honey Maple, you'd want one of the lighter stones like the Giallo Ornamental or New Venetian Gold. But make sure that they don't have undertones that clash with the cabinets. The cab seems to have a yellow or golden undertone - make sure the granite doesn't have any pinkness. If you can handle a darker counter, I think the Verde Peacock would be lovely with maple.

o

Thanks everyone! I was thinking the exact same thing, Giallo Ornamental or New Venetian Gold to look more spacious, but I do prefer darker and was leaning towards Verde Butterfly or Verde Peacock :)

o

I have 2 of the granites that you are considering in my house. I used the Verde Peacock in my kitchen with natural cherry cabinets and the New Venetian Gold with light oak cabinets in my laundry room.

The pitcure of the honey maple cabinets you are getting looks similar to the color of my cabinets. Any of the granites you are considering would look fine with your wood but in my opinion, the Verde Peacock would be make much more of a statement. Everyone that has seen my Verde Peacok granite loves it and can't believe it is considered a common, lower level stone.

I did not want Verde Butterfly because while it is similar to the Peacok it does not have the bits of gold in it that look so good with wood tone such as natural cherry or honey maple.

I dont think the dark granite would make you kitchen look less spacious. It will make it look classier and more dramatic.

To help you visualize a little better I will post a few pictures. Sorry, I have to do it in separate posts because I cant access my PhotoBucket pics at this time.

Here is a close up of my Verde Peacock

o
RE: RE: Granite color help

Here is more overall view

o
RE:RE:RE: Granite color help

Here is my New Venetian Gold

o

Thank you! I think I will go with Verde Peacock :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here