Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gayl

How can I get rid of new cabinets?

gayl
9 years ago

We recently bought a building that has a partially completed condo in it. We have changed the floor plans and can't use the existing cabinets. They are really gorgeous...but are lacking doors. They have never been installed. Habitat can't pick them up for a month, even though they told us last month they could do it mid-June. So we've wasted time. Now we are in a time-crunch. Does anyone have any ideas on who else might be able to use them? Thank you!

Comments (12)

• sundance510
    9 years ago

Maybe put an ad on craigslist? You will probably have a line at your door to pick them up if you list them for free/cheap.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Freecycle.org.
    Or... where do you live?

I'd also just look online for reuse centers in your area. H4H is not the only outfit around, but it's the one we think of.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Don't know if you have free cycle in your area but that's a good bet.

Linda

• jess1979
    9 years ago

Try Craig's list. What state are you in we are looking for cabinets for a remodel.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Maybe a church can use them? There's never enough money for fun stuff like new cabinets! Our church is in an historic district in our town. It has been around since the 1800's and desperately could use new cabs in the sacristy.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

gr8day, sounds like my church's sacristy. It's like stepping back in time. In fact, I'm sure there would be a hue and cry if anyone tried to replace them.

• gayl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are in Washington state. Was hoping to get them to a place like Habitat that could put them to good use for someone who otherwise wouldn't get something like this. I will check out free cycle, but not sure if it is in our area. Thanks, everyone!

• spanky_md
    9 years ago

Craigslist has a "Free" section and I've always had better luck listing giveaways there than on Freecycle. The CLers tend to be more responsible about showing up when they say they will. (Not 100% but better than the Freecyclers, at least here.)

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Freecycle is (supposed to be) in every community in the states. Just like H4H's mandate has one in every county, in every state.

• cba6777
    9 years ago

When I took out our old cabinets, I asked if they could try to keep them so that I could donate them rather than just taking a sledgehammer to them (as much as I really wanted to take a crack at one with a sledgehammer!). I had an issue with Habitat - they came out, but since many of the doors were taken off and we apparently were missing some screws, they refused to take them. (I was so upset about that, as I really wanted the tax benefit of the donation.)

I went back and forth with a few people from Freecycle who either stalled or were no shows. I posted it to Craigslist in the free section - and got around a dozen responses in the first few minutes it posted. Gave them to a nice guy whose dad is a contractor and who could do something with these cabinets - which were old, peeling paint, particleboard, and in some areas rotting away.

So if yours are new, you'll have a feeding frenzy on Craigslist!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Before you give them away, make sure you can't make use of them...in a basement area, upper cabs used as base cabs in a walk-in closet, or built into the dining area for a built-in buffet...

We took GF's old kitchen cabs to make a workshop for DH. Came out nice.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Agee w/ Annie - my friend put them in her garage.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert