Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nishka_gw

Help me finish my kitchen, please? (pics)

nishka
13 years ago

I really enjoy reading all the different opinions and ideas on this board.

This my kitchen as of 5pm this afternoon. I have many decisions to make by Saturday, so please help me. I am so confused.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

My cabinets are cherry with cabernet stain and black glaze.

My floor, which will be refinished the same, is red oak with fawn stain.

My appliances are stainless with 36" DCS range and stainless apron sink.

I need help with just about everything else.

Granite?

I want something exotic but my common sense tells me to stick with my first choice of black galaxy. Could I go with an exotic on the island and sensible on the perimeter? I like antiqued and honed finishes, and even soapstone but my husband insists it doesn't "go with" the cabinets.

Backsplash?

Leaning toward glass, and going all the way up the wall behind the hood.

Paint?

Thinking of something in the tan to subtle gold family.

Do I put in another change order to add molding to the bottom of the cabinets? The top will have 4" crown.

And last but not least, cabinet hardware?

Thanks for your advice.

Comments (16)

• melinrk
    13 years ago

My kitchen is similar (ish) to yours, so here are the things that I did - although it might be a very different taste...

I used gold & silver granite - exotic without being crazy. Hides dirt and crumbs like you wouldn't believe.

I used black wrought iron hardware on everything:

We did a pressed tin look backsplash in stainless steel:

Lastly, we painted the walls yellow:

Here is the finished kitchen:

Good luck - these are the fun things...enjoy!

• needsometips08
    13 years ago

I am not one for these types of questions, but I vastly prefer the lighter granites to any sort of solid shiny blacks, and you can see how good the gold and silver looks above. We have golden beaches and it hides all sorts of everything. I can't imagine having to virtually windex the black granite to keep it looking good. I know people don't go to that length, but I know how much stuff my solid black cooktop shows, everything, even dust. That's expected for a cooktop, but I can't imagine the entire counter being that high-maintenance, and you have a lot of counter!

But then again there are people who have it and love it. If you really adore it, the maintenance will be a small price.

• nishka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for you suggestions.

I had black granite in my previous kitchen. I guess it's more of a default selection rather than a choice. And you are right, I was constantly wiping and wiping to keep it looking clean.

melinrk, You have a beautiful kitchen. I do love the gold and silver granite. I actually wanted a more traditional southern kitchen, but if my husband had his choice it would be slick, cold and modern. We have tried to meet some where in the middle. (that stainless steel hood was a tough one for me) I guess you call it Transitional style.

I don't have any trouble making suggestions for others but when I have to do it for myself. I can't seem to decide.

• ruthie13
    13 years ago

Melinrk -
    I love, love, love your entire kitchen. Looking at yours, I am sorry I did not do my island in black like yours... I will have cherry all around. Can you tell me which faucet you have? Also what are your cabinet handles? I have enjoyed so many of the kitchens I have seen on this site, but so many are white. Seeing the beautiful cherry cabinets, makes me so excited to have mine delivered in a few weeks. ~ruthie

• monkeymo
    13 years ago

If I had enough space and the type of house to do something exotic, I would love to do this stone...but it may be too exotic for most...Green Rainforest

Here is a link to a blog about this, showing some applications (wet bar, fountain). It is very striking when you see it in person. It is not really granite but also not marble - see blog for more info...

blog

Another one I think is nice and has lots of movement is Cosmos

{{!gwi}}

Link to see slab of this and others

• monkeymo
    13 years ago

Oh, it might help to tell us a little bit about your home and style so we can make some suggestions you might like. For instance, with cabinet hardware there is so much to choose from from modern to whimsical.

• nishka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe this will help...

My house is traditional southern subdivision 2 story brick built in 2001. You can get a glimpse beyond the plastic, I have oversized, traditional cherry, dark brown leather furniture in the family room. All furniture in the house, even all bedroom furniture is cherry.

My colors are all earth tones. Hardwoods thru out with the exception the family room. I would say everything is updated traditional. Accessory metals in the house are either stainless, nickel or black wrought iron.

I was thinking about balancing all the stainless with black wrought iron or ORB hardware in the kitchen. I am afraid the kitchen is oversaturated with stainless.

• maks_2000
    13 years ago

Beautiful cabinets, beautiful kitchen!! I love the arches.

Take a cabinet door to the Granite Distributor, then you can see what will look great with it. You can do something dramatic like the rain forrest above on the island and hone a black on the perimeter will be nice or there are many beautiful light granites with golds that may suit you -- they also look great honed. After you pick the granite, then pick the paint & the backsplash. You can coordinate your handles with your faucet or give them a furniture look.

I'm not sure what granite/marble to tell you for a southern kitchen, perhaps someone else has some insight there . . .

Melinrk is right: this is the fun stuff, of course, I freak out about it since I know I'll be living with my decisions for a long time.

Good luck!

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

Why such a rush on all these decisions? Counters, I can understand, since fabricating takes a while... but the others can follow in due course. I agree with the advice to choose counter first, then backsplash and paint.

Here are a few to try:

Oh, and go with the ORB, since you want to balance the stainless. Easy decision.

Your cabinets are gorgeous! And the arches in the doorway and window are beautiful. Have fun with finishing off the kitchen.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Niska,

If we are allowed to play... And I was lucky enough to have
    this gorgeous space... I would.

Granite: Not black go lighter and yes with drama something
    like this. (Of course Monkeymo has a super suggestion for
    the rainforest granite perfect with cherry and the green
    in the other room)

Backsplash: Glass Mosaic or glass subway

Or this in cream or golden beige

Paint:

Rich Cream by Benjamin Moore

Molding under cabs? YES

Thanks for letting me play, Actually whatever you do is
    going to be fantastic.

• gillylily
    13 years ago

I know this may be against everyone else's suggestions.. BUT.. I have a similar kitchen to yours-- similar color perimeter cabinets and black painted island. I used absolute black on my perimeter cabinets and typhoon bordeaux on my island for granite. yes, as you know the black easily shows fingerprints and crumbs, etc, and I am having a problem with my particular slab b/c water rings are showing up, but I do love the contrast of the island with the rest of the kitchen.. I haven't posted in a while so let me see if i can find a picture...

Please ignore the mess.. this was the day after we moved into our house... HTH!

By the way your kitchen is beautiful!

• melinrk
    13 years ago

ruthie13 - the faucet is Showhouse by Moen - Waterhill.
    The potfiller is Opulence by Danze, because Moen didn't have a wrought iron black to match.

The hardware is Hickory Hardware Spanish Gothic. We had the fridge handles custom made (and they were not expensive) to match. We love that it's unique.

nishka - do NOT rush these decisions. This is your kitchen. Too bad if a contractor wants you to hurry up. You are paying him, and it's all expensive. Don't just compromise on black galaxy because you're out of time. You have to live in this kitchen for a very long time and you should absolutely LOVE every single choice. You should have NO regrets. Take you're time - it will be worth it.

• nishka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much again for great the advice.

The rush on the decision is because the contractor wants to do granite, backsplash and hardware next week. It does irritate me somewhat that I have asked for weeks about a time to go pick granite and tile. He is providing an allowance for granite and tile if we use his choice of fabricators, which is a good one, so I am not too concerned about that. It's just the hurry up and wait then hurry up again stuff that bugs me.

For those of you who like the arches, the arch details are one of the main reasons we bought this house. They are thru out the main floor.

Here is a picture of my family room that is open to the kitchen thru the archway you see covered by plastic in my previous pictures. Please excuse the excess clutter and the old fridge behind the sofa. (husband says he thinks he kinda likes it there now)

{{!gwi}}

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Niska that room is beautiful.

Good luck on your kitchen choices. It is going to be
    great.

~boxer

• nishka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boxer....
    I love your countertops. I have been working hard on my husband to think about something similar. It seems my husband and I have a strange attraction to the dark countertops but the more I think and look around, the more convinced I am that shiny black is not what I want but my husband is having a hard time thinking outside the standard polished look.

We am going tomorrow morning to look but I am being firm that if I can't be sure, I won't decide tomorrow.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Niska,
    My counter is Virginia Jet Mist which is a black gray
    color with white swirls that look like powder sugar and
    a gust of wind spread it across a black sky.
    I am sorry, I did not post an image. The one above just
    was a google image.

It took me months to find my choice. My DH built plywood
    counters while I searched. It became a joke that we would
    live with plywood and if it stained he would put new plywood
    up.
    Anything you do will be beautiful in your space. If you
    are drawn toward black you will certainly find something
    amazing. Don't rush, there are many gorgeous slabs
    coming from new quarrys all the time.
    ~boxer

A few more granite ideas you might like ...

Bianco Romano
    {{gwi:1575413}}

Black

Golden Beaches

Typhoon Bordeaux

Mascarello

Brazil Black

I do not know which granite this is.
    My best guess is Rosewood