Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rkb21_gw

Need backsplash help, please!!!

rkb21
10 years ago

Things are moving right along and we have the granite in, cabinets painted and are waiting for the doors and the appliances to be installed. I'm getting closer on making a decision on my door hardware. BUT, I'm stuck on the backsplash. I have made countless trips to look at tile and have searched the internet looking at finished kitchens for backsplash ideas.

So, now I turn to all of you for help. I guess the look I'm going for is something simple and classic. We have a very open floor plan so I would like something neutral so that it will flow with the rest of the areas. I am open to suggestions and would really appreciate any help that you can offer.

Here are some pictures of the granite and the doors with the sample wall color:

Here's the overall space:

It's open to the breakfast area and hearth room:

Thanks again for everyone's help! I really need it and I really appreciate it!!!

Comments (11)

• miss_kenda
    10 years ago

What about a bone colored shiny tile. Maybe a subway laid in a herringbone pattern or square laid broken joint. Maybe even small glass tiles in a gray like this
    http://i2.wp.com/www.lizmarieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/78af55b46c5c08a4751610e7b7b22382.jpg
    or maybe a penny tile.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I can see MOP in whitesand beiges. MOP is always classic.

• sreedesq
    10 years ago

I think a Versailles pattern in a bone color would look nice if you want something simple and classic. Good luck! Backsplash is tricky!

• ZLauren
    10 years ago

I agree that a bone/beige/similar tile would suit your cabinets and granite - but I would like to see the tile in a n interesting shape (arabesque?) or with an interesting finish.

• rkb21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

miss_kenda: I like the herringbone pattern, but I'm not sure that I want it in the entire kitchen space. We do have a small butler's pantry area that is set off from the kitchen that I may do it in.

holly-kay: I really like the idea of doing a MOP. Would it be too shiny? I need to get out to look at some MOP later this week.

sreedesq: I like the Versailles pattern. Just need to find the right color.

Zlauren: Is there a finish you are thinking of? I didn't really like the crackle finish of one of the tiles that I brought home.

Here are a couple that I've tried out:

Simple white subway tile:

Off white subway with some sparkle [similar to Thassos, but not as white]

This was my favorite until I put a bunch of tiles up against the wall. I think the graining on the tile may be too busy. What do you think?

This is a beige color but looks pinkish to me:

Keep the suggestions coming, please! I will not be able to go look at tiles until later this week. So, this is very helpful!

Thanks!

• sreedesq
    10 years ago

Go to The Tile Shop's website and type in Versailles pattern and so many colors/options come up. I would suggest something slightly darker than your cabinet color.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

First off, what is your granite? I am wondering if my Grazia Rixi creme tile (which is a crackle) would work.
    Look at beveled tiles. They are simple yet have a nice look to them.
    As much as I like MOP, I don't think it is right with your granite. One star in the kitchen and yours is the granite.
    Yes, beige and cream tiles can be tricky. Then once you find the right one, others (not GW TKO members) will wonder what all the fuss was about!
    You havde the makings of a beautiful kitchen. Relax and take your time with the backsplash.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I will second the tricky cream and beige - I think I had about 20 different off white tiles - I also went with the Rixi creme
    I am not sure I see crackle tiles in your kitchen (but I didn't want crackle for mine when I started) - so check them all out and decide.

• rkb21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ellendi: My granite is Colonial Dream. I have a feeling I'm going to be a member of the ABB club, ugh!

a2gemini: Yes, the creams/beiges are very tricky. My cabinets are more white than cream, but not a stark white. I wasn't too keen on the crackle finish for my kitchen either. I have a crackle finish tile that has a great color for our kitchen, but I really didn't like the finish. Where did you get all of your samples from?

I'm heading to a few tile places again on Thursday.

Any thoughts on the tiles I posted above? More specifically, the off white subway and the marble with the veining?

Any other suggestions would be great to help in my search :)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I think I would go with an even creamier tile, so that there is some contrast with your cabinets to avoid the suggestion that you tried to match the cabinets but didn't succeed. Lovely granite and cabinets. I'd pick the wall paint last. On my monitor, the paint sample looks slightly pinkish.

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

your kitchen is strong-I would go with a light coppery or tawny/ amber color in a mosaic with a small bit of all over sheen/iridescence-when glancing it would look like a subtle glow....stick with one color or shade.Have a look at mosaics-they can be anything you want them to be-just very pretty and that's how your space reads.....it can take this...won't be too much..