Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need backsplash help, please!!!

Posted by rkb21 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 19:10

Things are moving right along and we have the granite in, cabinets painted and are waiting for the doors and the appliances to be installed. I'm getting closer on making a decision on my door hardware. BUT, I'm stuck on the backsplash. I have made countless trips to look at tile and have searched the internet looking at finished kitchens for backsplash ideas.

So, now I turn to all of you for help. I guess the look I'm going for is something simple and classic. We have a very open floor plan so I would like something neutral so that it will flow with the rest of the areas. I am open to suggestions and would really appreciate any help that you can offer.

Here are some pictures of the granite and the doors with the sample wall color:

IMG_3774

IMG_3696

Here's the overall space:
IMG_3779

It's open to the breakfast area and hearth room:
Room overview

Thanks again for everyone's help! I really need it and I really appreciate it!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need backsplash help, please!!!

What about a bone colored shiny tile. Maybe a subway laid in a herringbone pattern or square laid broken joint. Maybe even small glass tiles in a gray like this
http://i2.wp.com/www.lizmarieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/78af55b46c5c08a4751610e7b7b22382.jpg
or maybe a penny tile.

o

I can see MOP in whitesand beiges. MOP is always classic.

o

I think a Versailles pattern in a bone color would look nice if you want something simple and classic. Good luck! Backsplash is tricky!

o

I agree that a bone/beige/similar tile would suit your cabinets and granite - but I would like to see the tile in a n interesting shape (arabesque?) or with an interesting finish.

o

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

miss_kenda: I like the herringbone pattern, but I'm not sure that I want it in the entire kitchen space. We do have a small butler's pantry area that is set off from the kitchen that I may do it in.

holly-kay: I really like the idea of doing a MOP. Would it be too shiny? I need to get out to look at some MOP later this week.

sreedesq: I like the Versailles pattern. Just need to find the right color.

Zlauren: Is there a finish you are thinking of? I didn't really like the crackle finish of one of the tiles that I brought home.

Here are a couple that I've tried out:

Simple white subway tile:
IMG_3661

Off white subway with some sparkle [similar to Thassos, but not as white]

IMG_3466

This was my favorite until I put a bunch of tiles up against the wall. I think the graining on the tile may be too busy. What do you think?

IMG_3688

This is a beige color but looks pinkish to me:
IMG_3669

Keep the suggestions coming, please! I will not be able to go look at tiles until later this week. So, this is very helpful!

Thanks!

o

Go to The Tile Shop's website and type in Versailles pattern and so many colors/options come up. I would suggest something slightly darker than your cabinet color.

o

First off, what is your granite? I am wondering if my Grazia Rixi creme tile (which is a crackle) would work.
Look at beveled tiles. They are simple yet have a nice look to them.
As much as I like MOP, I don't think it is right with your granite. One star in the kitchen and yours is the granite.
Yes, beige and cream tiles can be tricky. Then once you find the right one, others (not GW TKO members) will wonder what all the fuss was about!
You havde the makings of a beautiful kitchen. Relax and take your time with the backsplash.

o

I will second the tricky cream and beige - I think I had about 20 different off white tiles - I also went with the Rixi creme
I am not sure I see crackle tiles in your kitchen (but I didn't want crackle for mine when I started) - so check them all out and decide.

o

ellendi: My granite is Colonial Dream. I have a feeling I'm going to be a member of the ABB club, ugh!

a2gemini: Yes, the creams/beiges are very tricky. My cabinets are more white than cream, but not a stark white. I wasn't too keen on the crackle finish for my kitchen either. I have a crackle finish tile that has a great color for our kitchen, but I really didn't like the finish. Where did you get all of your samples from?

I'm heading to a few tile places again on Thursday.

Any thoughts on the tiles I posted above? More specifically, the off white subway and the marble with the veining?

Any other suggestions would be great to help in my search :)

o

I think I would go with an even creamier tile, so that there is some contrast with your cabinets to avoid the suggestion that you tried to match the cabinets but didn't succeed. Lovely granite and cabinets. I'd pick the wall paint last. On my monitor, the paint sample looks slightly pinkish.

o

your kitchen is strong-I would go with a light coppery or tawny/ amber color in a mosaic with a small bit of all over sheen/iridescence-when glancing it would look like a subtle glow....stick with one color or shade.Have a look at mosaics-they can be anything you want them to be-just very pretty and that's how your space reads.....it can take this...won't be too much..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here