Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Celticmoon, are you out there? Gel stain question (OT)

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

I hope it is okay to post this here!

Celticmoon, I saw your threads earlier about gel stain on your cabinets, and may I say I was awed and inspired! I rushed right out to get gel stain to refinish these yellow birch cabinets I have.

My first attempt was extremely blotchy. I thought maybe this was because there is very little finish on these cabs, so I put a quick coat of spray poly on and tried again. This version is much better but still not smooth enough. I wondered if you'd take a look and give me some advice?

Here is my photo:

{{gwi:1906901}}

Thanks, Anita

Comments (13)

• hamsundm
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm not celticmoon, but I did do my cabs with gel stain, too.

Are you using general finishes brand? I found a HUGE difference between valspar (for example) and gf.

It almost looks like it's absorbing too much. I was chatting with the salesman when I bought my gel stain and remember him saying on certain woods, it's helpful to apply the topcoat FIRST, then, while it's still wet, apply the stain. Backwards, but he said it goes on just beautifully and doesn't end up so splotchy. So maybe that would be something for you to try!

good luck!

• hamsundm
    15 years ago

btw - I should add that celticmoon awed and inspired me, too! This site is so helpful.

• celticmoon
    15 years ago

Hi!

I agree with Projectsneverend that the type of product makes a difference. I favor General Finishes. Much better than say Minwax Polyshades.

Good point on the absorption too. The gels (not the pure stain but the color/top coat combo gels) sit on the surface. They are kinda transluscent. So both a difference in the surface finish integrity AND the thickness of the coat can make it blotchier. Not sure which is happening for you.

The darker the end goal color, the less this matters. If you are planning to go pretty dark as a final color, no worries. Just layer on another coat or two and it will likely even out.

If you are trying for a mid tone, then you may have to experiment a bit. The store guy spoke to making the surface consistant by sealing it first with a clear coat. That makes sense. Then you will have to come up with a 'wipe on, wipe off' application method that leaves an even coat. The hard part will be moving toward the end color you want but not overshooting it. (What I did was likely easier because I went so very dark - I couldn't overshoot it)

The picture looks like you might be applying bits of gel in small areas. Maybe try taking a good gob of the stuff on your (plastic gloved and socked) hand and smear it end to end, then wipe end to end. Generous gobs. Big strokes. See if that works better for you. Come back and update.

HTH. And if you haven't found it here, I can email you a detailed step by step.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: pix of my project

• oruboris
    15 years ago

I'm tellin' ya folks, it is MUCH tougher to get good results with a gel than a real stain or danish oil.

• celticmoon
    15 years ago

Absolutely, Oruboris.

Problem though, is that you need bare wood for staining or oiling. And with existing cabinets, that means stripping - a Herculean task I would never recommend. (Been there, done that.)

Like painting, overcoating with gel can be a good cosmetic fix - so long as the surface is well prepared and you are going dark enough.

• hamsundm
    15 years ago

I think I got pretty decent results...
    see linky... (please excuse my 'jel' stain error!)

Not that my pictures really do justice. I think it looks better in person. Celticmoon- your kitchen is beautiful. Sorry to hijack.

Good luck nomoreblue! Come back and post pics!

Here is a link that might be useful: My kitchen revamp

• csquared
    15 years ago

Celticmoon! I'd LOVE your detailed instructions to stain my cabinets - including the brand & color!!! It's just what I want.I've been putting off doing my cabinets for 2 years because I couldn't figure out the best/easiest/most economical way to do so. I've tried overstaining/glazing on my matching laundry room cabs & they look terrible! I had almost given up & thought to paint. Please HELP. Although I joined this forum a year ago, I've never posted. How can you e-mail to me?

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Nice write-up, Celticmoon. I'm clipping and saving this stuff. Good job!

Red

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    15 years ago

Thank you for the inspiration(s)!

-Lena

• cheekychic
    12 years ago

LOVE the kitchen! I have oak throughout my house, built in '84 and might go gel stain crazy. Thank you for posting the steps. By the way, Celticmoon, did you have to have someone raise your cabinets or is there another "step by step process" for that?

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

this POST is timeless! I am getting ready to refinish two pieces that I want to be dark mahogany-like finish. And this thread referred on another thread led me to read all this information.

I will try this method, or close to it to make my life easier and the project of unifying my finishes more unified.

Thank you so much celticmoon, for sharing your process and inspiring those who want to upgrade a common or outdated look on pieces in our home!

• celticmoon
    11 years ago

You are welcome, mary ruth. Finish is still holding up pretty well. I think I have done touchups twice in the last 5 years.

BTW a friend had several dressers painted dark red, and she went over that with Java. That resulted in a very mahogany-like look.