Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marxmail_gw

Can you identify this soapstone

marxmail
9 years ago

I am really leaning toward soapstone. After looking at all the pictures and reading the post it seems like a great solution. I found a nice slab of soapstone at a local yard today. They couldn't tell me the type. I really like it and may go back to wet it down to see what it looks like darkened.

Thanks for looking.

Comments (8)

• Fori
    9 years ago

You didn't spit on it? :) I think that's why my spouse wants tile this time around. Was it THAT bad that I had to wet everything in the stone yard?

Ya know, it doesn't really matter what it is. You just need to get a sample and abuse it until you're sure it behaves how you want it to behave.

• kaylarus
    9 years ago

there a so many varieties. i found a site with 3 pages of pictures that might help. the problem is that alot of places give the same stone different names. the places i shopped at all had something the called sierra balck. this site doesn't seem to have it.
    installing soapstone is different than other stone. i choose a soapstone place based partly on what i thought about the fabicator. the picture of the slab i posted is my Cinza Verde. if you look at the cinza verde on this site you will see how different it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: soapstone pictures

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Its similar to what M. Teixeira Soapstone call Fantasia from Brazil. Its very pretty and looks just velvety soft. I had found a remnant of soapstone at a store, and it was so beautiful.

You can DIY soapstone if you are so inclined. There are several threads on GW if you have some extra muscle to help.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Keep in mind all soapstone looks quite different when oiled...here is our slab when we selected it at the yard

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

...and here it is a couple weeks later, freshly installed and oiled. Ours is called Marianna, purchased from Walker Zanger in So Cal

• peony4
    9 years ago

Marxmail, that looks like Marianna. Mine has straighter veining like the slab you posted, although the occasional white blotch like ctycdm above. When oiled, the gray turns black and does not have green in it.

Mine scratches and nicks easily. I've had occasion to sand and re-wax, and it's fine. But be sure, as noted previously, you get a sample to test to determine if you're OK with what you can do to it.

Don't be deterred by scratches and nicks. If you can sand and oil, you can repair. It's the most DIY-fixable part of my house.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

All beautiful soapstone. Thanks for sharing that link - I'm a ss lover and didn't realize there were *so* many different varieties. Where was all the variety when I was looking?

• marxmail
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What a great link Kaylarus.... I never realized it was available in that many varieties. I am going back at lunch today armed with a spray bottle and getting samples. They also had brown antique leathered which caught my eye!

Thanks everyone for the advise. Wood floor and creamy white cabinets I don't think I can go wrong with either.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA