Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle16_gw

shareher_questions

michelle16
11 years ago

OMG, your kitchen is so awesome so far!!!! Your post helped me so much because I just spent the whole day with the designer agonizing over a grey paint color for one wall of my cabs, I have the same quartzite as you, so my 2 questions are, what grey did you finally choose for the island? and is that a mitered edge they did on the island, and if so, how does it look? can you see any seam? okay 1 more question, which specific backsplash do you have,sorry for all the ques. our kitchens are going to be very similar, the designer wants me to use rockport grey, I like it just don't want it to read as too tanish

Comments (9)

• Shareher
    11 years ago

Thanks Michelle!
    For the island we used a darker gray SW Porpoise. I really like how it looks against the quartzite. The color does have quite a bit of brown but against the wood floors, it reads as a warm gray.

The perimeter counters are bm revere pewter, which is similar in color to the background of the the quartzite. The counters over the revere pewter are soapstone, so the revere pewter and quartzite don't touch. The backsplash is walker Zanger 6th ave subway in white gloss with penny rounds behind the range. Again, the backsplash is against the soapstone counter and revere pewter cabinets so it isn't directly next to the quartzite.
    I agonized over the paint colors--I have so many samples. I'm really happy with how all of the colors work together.

The island edge is mitered. You definitely see less of a seam than other edges, and we are happy with the choice. I'll swing by the house and snap a picture on the way to work. We've been staying with my parents for the past 6 week during the painting and wood floor stage. The whole project started last sept so I just can't wait it be done. Good Luck with your choices!!

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the info. Was the cost alot to do the mitered edge? Just not sure if mine would be silly just on the island because I also have the white macabus for perimiters? Also since you did alot of research with color/gray's, do you know of a good medium toned gray that doesn't have too much green or tan? having a hard time, your island color is a beauty, but too dark for me since I will be doing one whole wall in the gry, it's great for the island but for a whole wall, I think I need something lighter.Again, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Michelle

• Shareher
    11 years ago

Here is a shot of the backsplash.

• Shareher
    11 years ago

The mitered edge was maybe 200 hundred dollars more. I'll show you a couple of pics. I like the look.

• Shareher
    11 years ago

mitered edge

• Shareher
    11 years ago

All the colors together.

• Shareher
    11 years ago

I agree that it's tough to find a gray. You could try another gray on the same paint card as SW porpoise and see if those work. The general tones go well with the quartzite. The revere pewter goes well too, but also has brown.

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm amazed at that mitered edge, it's so worth it! do you think it's okay if I only do it on the island and not perimeters, or should I do it everywhere? where is the seam when they do it? i don;t see anything!!! tks for all the pics, I'm loving it! Michelle

• Shareher
    11 years ago

The seam is right at the edge of the counter. It's nearly invisible. We only used the mitered edge on the island because I didn't think it would look right with the soapstone. Good luck with your choices!