Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyfig

Thank you Sweeby ! (aka inspiration can come from anywhere)

rubyfig
14 years ago

Hello all,

Like many of you, I have a file of inspiration images for the kitchen, but, save for shaker style doors, mine didn't seem to have a consistency in countertops, colors, or materials.

But when I took the Sweeby test and pulled out the images I had squirreled away (and not just the images of kitchens), a few patterns emerged. I found I like:

1) classic, but graphic patterns

2) a contrast of textures

3) things that look like they have a history, or a life before I took them on

4) a little something unexpected

5) the idea of the kitchen as laboratory (to a point).

I don't think most of these photos are all that common, so I thought I would share :)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Thank you Sweeby! This makes it so much easier going forward.

Comments (16)

• sweeby
    14 years ago

You're welcome! -- Glad it helped.

And those are some lovely inspiration pictures.

• hollylh
    14 years ago

Wow...we have really similar taste. I love all those kitchens....they all look like real working spaces, and so to me feel so warm. Those tiles are wonderful, all of them..I love tile but in my case was so overwhelmed I ended up going with beadboard instead just because I couldn't pick.

You have a great handle on your own taste. Don't be afraid to get what you like, and have fun!!

• hollylh
    14 years ago

I keep coming back to these photos. Almost makes me wish I had another kitchen to do...not.

I found the English design mags to be really great. Their kitchens tended to look more lived in.

Things it looks like you've got to have in yours, judging by your pix: books and plate racks and beadboard, and some French things and diamonds...

thanks again for sharing!

• rubyfig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know what you mean hollylh. We couldn't decide on the tiles, so we agreed to delay the decision (which turned out to be a very good thing since our countertops are being replaced), but I think I am leaning toward making my own. Most in the pictures are Encaustic (cement), which I am experimenting with painting on (with ink) before sealing.

Re: the English design mags to be really great. --I agree (but my husband is English, so I am biased). ;)

• hollylh
    14 years ago

yes, the encaustic were my favorites, too. I like the ones that are just one color (or rather white and a color). I also rather liked delft, but the old ones were two expensive and the new ones too bright for me. I made myself feel better by telling myself they wouldn't have originally appeared in my house anyway.

One name I see in the British mags a lot is Fired Earth...for tiles and other kitchen design...

have fun--

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Wonderful photos Rubyfig, thanks for sharing! I never get tired of looking at beautiful kitchens!

Kat :)

• mercurygirl
    14 years ago

Wow, beautiful inspirations, rubyfig. I really want to ask for some resources, if you have any. Looks like you have that French/Belgian estate sort of vision. Will your counters be light or dark?

• mandylee
    14 years ago

Stumbled upon this thread and couldn't help asking: do you know the source for those vintage-looking numbered plates? They are awesome! Thanks for the inspiring photos!

• rubyfig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hollylh. That Fired Earth shop is amazing. I could spend months in there. :)

Thanks Kat. Now your kitchen-- that is one lovely kitchen!

mercurygirl, by all means. I will do my best. My counters will be dark (we had a bit of a disaster with the counters, but are in the middle of having that fixed).

mandylee, those numbered plates are from Asya Palatova (she is one of my favorite ceramic artists) her site is www.gleena.com and her etsy shop is called gleenashop

• mercurygirl
    14 years ago

Thanks ruby. Do you have a source for pic #2? I love those wire-looking basket thingys hanging on the side of the cabinet, but the whole kitchen is pretty unique. Pic #11, I'm wondering what that pretty countertop is, maybe concrete?

I can't wait to see your kitchen!

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Gorgeous photos! So many of them could serve as inspiration photos for me. I especially love those blue-gray/white tiles in photos 8 & 9. Do you have the source for them?

• rubyfig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mercurygirl, #2. I saved this one a while ago, and like a ding-aling, I didn't record the source, but the attached link is a UK company that has a similar basket.

#11-- you are correct. Concrete countertops.

Pickle2, thank you. The tiles in #8 are antiques (Spanish encoustic), #9 are from Granada tiles (reproduction encaustic).

Here is a link that might be useful: wire storage basket

• mercurygirl
    14 years ago

That's great, I'll check it out and thank you.

For various reasons, I won't do concrete, but I love that rustic/natural touch.

Cheers!

• fleur222
    14 years ago

Dreamy! The pottery and ceramics, fresh flowers and homey kitchens..natural just ready for friends to visit!

• rubyfig
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mercurygirl, I agree with you about the concrete tops, but I noticed some of the Caeserstone had a similar look.

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info on the encaustic tiles. I'd never heard of them, but love the simple, but graphic punch. I'm putting them in my ideas directory.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES