Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldhomeplace

6'4x5'8 corner - banquette or chairs/benches?

Hannah Koenker
9 years ago

Hi wise list,

We are at punch list stage of our kitchen reno, but I have basically left the last quarter of the project undone, and now I need to make some decisions. Kitchen is 16x16, and one corner (between our exterior patio door and the dining room door) is the breakfast/dinner nook. Currently we have a round table (48") and four chairs there, but they are generously proportioned and not our style and need to go.
The question is - in this corner space, which is 5'8x6'4 (see drawing), what to do?

The challenge is that we currently have a very large hydronic radiator that is 9" deep, 20" tall, and essentially the whole length of the 'short' wall (let's call its length 5'). It is the primary heating source in the room and we could convert it to regular baseboard, or a toekick heater, or just keep it and work around it. This heater is the white box in the drawing.

I'm tempted by a nice comfy L shaped banquette in that corner (with a round or square table?). But - I'm not sure there's enough room, and I'm also wary of committing to built-in things, so my other option is a comfortable dining bench along the longer wall (for the 2 kids, currently ages 2 and on-the-way) and two chairs for grownups. We eat breakfast there and nearly all dinners now, so it needs to be comfortable, easy to clean up, etc. I'm a sucker for fun patterned cushions but recognize that straight wood will likely be more kid-friendly (am I wrong??).

This forum has been so helpful as I designed the new kitchen and I know you will think of pros and cons that I have overlooked - I just can't see my way through this decision, having spent several days searching online for examples of floating banquettes, built-in banquettes, dining benches with backs, squound tables, heating options, gah. Someone help me see the light, please! :)

In the plan below the banquettes are 22" deep, and I can't get the Ikea software to overlap the 41" Docksta table over the banquettes, so you will need to imagine it. Thank you!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH